ADVERTISEMENT

KF says offense needs to get better, but no big changes planned

FWIW4922463

HR All-State
Apr 1, 2021
KF tells the P-C a bunch of coach speak that boils down to this: I've been doing the same thing for 23 years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I ain't changin' a thing. Great coaches. Good players. Just need to do better.

So there ya have it. Five years of severely underperforming offense under novice OC Brian Ferentz, and this is KF's plan to address it.

Of course, he also says he feels better physically and mentally than he has for years. I suppose I would too if I had a contract guaranteeing me $56 mil over the next 8 years.

KF tells the P-C a bunch of coach speak that boils down to this: I've been doing the same thing for 23 years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I ain't changin' a thing. Great coaches. Good players. Just need to do better.

So there ya have it. Five years of severely underperforming offense under novice OC Brian Ferentz, and this is KF's plan to address it.

Of course, he also says he feels better physically and mentally than he has for years. I suppose I would too if I had a contract guaranteeing me $56 mil over the next 8 years.
Be honest...you wrote this before his presser...you have written it a thousand times already .
Thanks for the translation.
Must be constricting living in KFs
brain.

Yeah I know his post / the negativity annoys you but I’m sure it’s pretty spot on.

Kirk will continue doing the same thing and continue cashing his checks.
You left out the ‘winning games’ part. I know it’s less important to some people but I like it. Definitely would like it if they could win with some better offense though

He who? I didn't see a KF quote to call crap
According to article "he remains confident in the offense". That is saying "crap like that". He is either a moron or looking out for a coach that he's professionally speaking, too close to.

Its just a opinion the offese was bad. That just some guy. I see it different. The captain.......

Statistically speaking, Ferentz isn't panicking because our offense isn't far off from where we are usually ranked, and where he is comfortable/satisfied with us being ranked. I had the time so here is our total offense ranking during his tenure:

99- couldn't find total offense but scoring was ranked 105
00- 104
01- 45
02-13
03-89
04- 103
05- 28
06- 34
07- 109
08- 51
09- 86
10- 58
11- 72
12- 118
13- 87
14- 62
15- 69
16- 117
17- 114
18- 97
19- 93
20- 86
21- 120

Simply looking at the numbers, it's clear that Ferentz' coaching strategy does not revolve around a potent offense. 120th is the worst, but it's not far off from 2012, 2016-2017, and there was rebound to offensive mediocrity after those seasons, likely with slight changes similar to what he expressed in his presser. This isn't a defense of maintaining a less than stellar offense. It amazes me the success we've had in wins with such a mediocre offense.

As long as he wins 10 games, who really cares??
I think that's what frustrates the fanbase. We win, and we win consistently. We even win big games on occasion. The constant reminder that if we had a somewhat capable offense we could jump from a ten win team to a twelve or thirteen win team is is irritating. I'm grateful for what we have, but it'd be awesome to do even more.

Did anyone here seriously think he would say anything different? Even if he was going to make a change, however big or small, he wouldn't talk about it. He's never announced intentions about anything other than sticking around longer (that I can recall).

Statistically speaking, Ferentz isn't panicking because our offense isn't far off from where we are usually ranked, and where he is comfortable/satisfied with us being ranked. I had the time so here is our total offense ranking during his tenure:

00- 104
01- 45
02-13
03-89
04- 103
05- 28
06- 34
07- 109
08- 51
09- 86
10- 58
11- 72
12- 118
13- 87
14- 62
15- 69
16- 117
17- 114
18- 97
19- 93
20- 86
21- 120

Simply looking at the numbers, it's clear that Ferentz' coaching strategy does not revolve around a potent offense. 120th is the worst, but it's not far off from 2012, 2016-2017, and there was rebound to offensive mediocrity after those seasons, likely with slight changes similar to what he expressed in his presser. This isn't a defense of maintaining a less than stellar offense. It amazes me the success we've had in wins with such a mediocre offense.
Thanks for putting that together. Pretty much what everyone expected, I think.

The offense since '16 is in an absolutely abysmal stretch, no matter how you slice it. I'd like to see how many P-5 programs in history have had a stretch of 6 straight seasons with an offense no higher than 86th. It actually sounds hard to do. Unreal that even the '14 offense, which was excruciating to watch (except when C.J. played), actually ranked higher than all those teams. I know there's a lot more to offensive success than "total offense," but I just have to believe that Iowa can do better.

00- 104
01- 45
02-13
03-89
04- 103
05- 28
06- 34
07- 109
08- 51
09- 86
10- 58
11- 72
12- 118
13- 87
14- 62
15- 69
16- 117
17- 114
18- 97
19- 93
20- 86
21- 120

Yeah and we are usually watching other teams hoist the trophy unless we get gifted schedules like 15 and 21. I don't even think he expects or cares about different results at this point despite doing the same thing. If he could have a replay of 21 he'd take it in a heartbeat along with his bonus $ but unfortunately the schedule won't allow that. Such a stubborn, arrogant ass and part of that is on Barta

Yeah I know his post / the negativity annoys you but I’m sure it’s pretty spot on.

Kirk will continue doing the same thing and continue cashing his checks.

And if he did anything different or positive you would not acknowledge it. If he changed quarterbacks there would be some outside instance as to why it happened..,

Quite frankly I’ve decided to frame my view of Kirk Ferentz through your view and I’ve come to the conclusion that this guy is one of the most awesome over-comers in the history of sports….he has such a bad offensive scheme and understanding of the game yet he has still won countless amounts of games. it honestly shouldn’t be possible to be as bad on the offensive frame of thinking to even win .500 % of your games yet this guy…23 years after he started at Iowa, he’s actually getting better.

What a marvelous human being and I have you to thank for that. It never occurred to me how badly handcuffed he was on offense and yet he still is a mastermind of a coach that routinely beats teams higher ranked with more talent!!

Unbelievable!!!

Thanks for putting that together. Pretty much what everyone expected, I think.

The offense since '16 is in an absolutely abysmal stretch, no matter how you slice it. I'd like to see how many P-5 programs in history have had a stretch of 6 straight seasons with an offense no higher than 86th. It actually sounds hard to do. Unreal that even the '14 offense, which was excruciating to watch (except when C.J. played), actually ranked higher than all those teams. I know there's a lot more to offensive success than "total offense," but I just have to believe that Iowa can do better.
And yet strangely enough in the years in which our offense performed the best outside of 2002 we had poor teams… Go figure

Last edited:
Yeah and we are usually watching other teams hoist the trophy unless we get gifted schedules like 15 and 21. I don't even think he expects or cares about different results at this point despite doing the same thing. If he could have a replay of 21 he'd take it in a heartbeat along with his bonus $ but unfortunately the schedule won't allow that. Such a stubborn, arrogant ass and part of that is on Barta

I would greatly enjoy following you guys around for three or four months….find out how you operate and then start posting on a message board how incompetent and inefficient etc. etc. that you are… Based on how much you enjoy doing it here it must be fun!

Last edited:
Here is what we do know - KF doesn't change much. Moving practice time by an hour is a big deal for him.

Here is what we would like to know - change OC's and QB's and things might improve - it can't really get worse.

Here is what we don't know - KF's approach to things is unwavering. If he "reacted to things" more quickly and made significant changes in the past when things needed it - would the Hawks have won more games?

00- 104
01- 45
02-13
03-89
04- 103
05- 28
06- 34
07- 109
08- 51
09- 86
10- 58
11- 72
12- 118
13- 87
14- 62
15- 69
16- 117
17- 114
18- 97
19- 93
20- 86
21- 120

The average is 79th.

Reactions: InsaneHawk
It simply means that Iowa can't have nice things. ;)

Good defense? Bad offense.
Good offense? Lousy special teams.

Hard to get it all in sync very often😡

Add in the basketball team and their offensive proficiency and defensive failings & you have a pretty interesting dichotomy!!

Not to mention their offense has fallen off significantly and the defense has picked up… I think the moral of the story is, fans struggle to really appreciate how hard it is to win &/or be consistent in anything, let alone all things!

Last edited:
So in the past 15 years, at it's peak, the offense has been in the average range nationally. And not very many times at that.
The last time you could even use the word good to describe the O was in 2006 with that #34 rank. And a whole lot of truly putrid years of performance.

Very interesting to hear on the Howe/Dochterman podcast speculation about BF to the nfl (not necessarily as an OC of course). KF brought up the nfl coaching carousel during the press conference in the context of potentially losing one or more coaches to the league (as with Foster last year). Howe said there has been talk of that and Dochterman mentioned there being opportunities to reunite with coaches BF used to work with (like McDaniel in Vegas).

you wouldn’t think but it sure seems to have with us did you look at the years & the scoring averages?
If they looked at the year they had the #2 scoring offense in the B1G and #40 in the country while only playing conference games must have been some other team or long ago.

Here is what we do know - KF doesn't change much. Moving practice time by an hour is a big deal for him.

Here is what we would like to know - change OC's and QB's and things might improve - it can't really get worse.

Here is what we don't know - KF's approach to things is unwavering. If he "reacted to things" more quickly and made significant changes in the past when things needed it - would the Hawks have won more games?
Umm… you realize that they made some fairly substantial practice changes that encompass far more than ‘an hour’ ?

In the offensive average per year posted above, the first 11 years we had 6 years in the top 60. Since then we have not been in top 60 one time! That pretty much says it all.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Maybe we could get the HC from Nebby to coach our offense after he loses his job next year and then most of the people on this forum would be happy campers?

Ya just have to execute. It is the answer to every criticism. It’s not about finding and improving ways that better allow your players to execute, it is about the players perfectly executing the same philosophy and system you have implemented for years despite other teams and athletes being prepared to defend it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT