ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA Offensive Coordinators Under KF

Script_IOWA

Scout Team
Mar 7, 2016
In retrospect, I think we all need to look back at IOWA offenses under KF and give some appreciation to past coordinators, and maybe even some to BF.

Based on what is provided to the Coordinators, I think we need to give far more praise to KOK. He developed QB's, even allowed some of them to use their legs to create offense. He also had incredibly strong O-lines and would get more out his RB's than anyone. That AIRBHG year is nothing short of a masterpiece. Cheers to you KOK. Just like presidents, most are revered more long after their tenure ends.

Greg Davis was probably way under appreciated as well. He coached the greatest college quarterback/offense combo with Vince Young and the Longhorns in '05-'06 that I've witnessed, and then followed it up with another great performance with a much different QB in Colt McCoy, but still took them to a Title Game. Then he comes to IOWA and takes us to our first 12-win undefeated season. He had the 2015 B1G Title Game won for us, until that goddamn MSU drive to seal it.

Brian started his career with a couple of unbelievable performances. 44-41 vs ISU in an unreal shootout. 55-24 to OSU is probably the best offensive performance I have personally witnessed from an IOWA team. Throw in that great game calling in the Holiday Bowl against USC, and I have never really thought that BF was the primary problem.

Then, Covid happens. Our team changes when Doyle leaves. We lose our edge. Our line, outside of a couple of standouts, becomes soft. My opinion is that Doyle probably coached and intimidated the line far more than our Oline coaches over the years, and an IOWA team without a high-performing line destroys KF's scheme. If you are exchanging 3-4 yd gains for loses or no gains, you are now a punting first squad. If you can't move the ball on the ground, play action is lost and you now have a secondary that has no reason to cheat. Defenses can win with a hat on a hat and a front seven that can mostly contain everything, it is leaving five back and making our reads even harder for QB's who feel a ton of pressure. Do you remember those pockets that Banks & Stanzi had? Night and day from what we have seen over the last three years.

What do we do? 1) Hire Grant Steen as IOWA S&C coach. Note, I am friends with Steen and he is a great dude, so I am biased. He has been an S&C coach at the Seahawks for the last 5 years, and has spent time at USC, Minnesota, and Stanford prior. He knows what it takes to create and operate an environment at IOWA that will succeed. 2) Brian ain't coming back, so let's find a coach who can compliment the IOWA system. Brian's wife left all social media last year and you can see, as Tom Kakert mentioned on this week's HawkeyeReport podcast, he is not having any fun doing this. Miserable for him as he takes all the blame, and his family also is suffering. He's gone. Need to find a young schemer like Mike McDaniel of the Dolphins (I know we are not getting an NFL coach, I mean we need to find a young football mind) who has mastered the art of working within the zone run scheme. I'd be happy to hear peoples' thoughts on this. 3) Plan for the future. If KF wants to coach more in the future, naming a successor like Phil or Levar will ensure we shore up recruiting and give both players, recruits AND the fan base some comfort, maybe even some excitement.

It's GREAT to be a Hawkeye!! On Iowa, Go Hawks!!

Last edited:
Funny you mention Steen. I saw him comment on the Iowa Football Instagram after they unveiled the black on black uniforms today, and he said “less uniform changes, more winning”. Love it.
This is why I would really feel good about people in the program being named as successors. They truly understand and care about IOWA football. Would not let us turn into Texas Tech or something.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkPocrisy
In retrospect, I think we all need to look back at IOWA offenses under KF and give some appreciation to past coordinators, and maybe even some to BF.

Based on what is provided to the Coordinators, I think we need to give far more praise to KOK. He developed QB's, even allowed some of them to use their legs to create offense. He also had incredibly strong O-lines and would get more out his RB's than anyone. That AIRBHG year is nothing short of a masterpiece. Cheers to you KOK. Just like presidents, most are revered more long after their tenure ends.

Greg Davis was probably way under appreciated as well. He coached the greatest college quarterback/offense combo with Vince Young and the Longhorns in '05-'06 that I've witnessed, and then followed it up with another great performance with a much different QB in Colt McCoy, but still took them to a Title Game. Then he comes to IOWA and takes us to our first 12-win undefeated season. He had the 2015 B1G Title Game won for us, until that goddamn MSU drive to seal it.

Brian started his career with a couple of unbelievable performances. 44-41 vs ISU in an unreal shootout. 55-24 to OSU is probably the best offensive performance I have personally witnessed from an IOWA team. Throw in that great game calling in the Holiday Bowl against USC, and I have never really thought that BF was the primary problem.

Then, Covid happens. Our team changes when Doyle leaves. We lose our edge. Our line, outside of a couple of standouts, becomes soft. My opinion is that Doyle probably coached and intimidated the line far more than our Oline coaches over the years, and an IOWA team without a high-performing line destroys KF's scheme. If you are exchanging 3-4 yd gains for loses or no gains, you are now a punting first squad. If you can't move the ball on the ground, play action is lost and you now have a secondary that has no reason to cheat. Defenses can win with a hat on a hat and a front seven that can mostly contain everything, it is leaving five back and making our reads even harder for QB's who feel a ton of pressure. Do you remember those pockets that Banks & Stanzi had? Night and day from what we have seen over the last three years.

What do we do? 1) Hire Grant Steen as IOWA S&C coach. Note, I am friends with Steen and he is a great dude, so I am biased. He has been an S&C coach at the Seahawks for the last 5 years, and has spent time at USC, Minnesota, and Stanford prior. He knows what it takes to create and operate an environment at IOWA that will succeed. 2) Brian ain't coming back, so let's find a coach who can compliment the IOWA system. Brian's wife left all social media last year and you can see, as Tom Kakert mentioned on this week's HawkeyeReport podcast, he is not having any fun doing this. Miserable for him as he takes all the blame, and his family also is suffering. He's gone. Need to find a young schemer like Mike McDaniel of the Dolphins (I know we are not getting an NFL coach, I mean we need to find a young football mind) who has mastered the art of working within the zone run scheme. I'd be happy to hear peoples' thoughts on this. 3) Plan for the future. If KF wants to coach more in the future, naming a successor like Phil or Levar will ensure we shore up recruiting and give both players, recruits AND the fan base some comfort, maybe even some excitement.

It's GREAT to be a Hawkeye!! On Iowa, Go Hawks!!
All for LW being named the OC, as long as KF lets loose the reigns. I don't see that happening as it would really put a cloud over his son. If BF goes, I see KF hanging it up as well. Would love to see PP as the HC for the next 5yrs, promote LW to OC with the future of HC for his taking if he meets certain goals.

Reactions: Script_IOWA
All for LW being named the OC, as long as KF lets loose the reigns. I don't see that happening as it would really put a cloud over his son. If BF goes, I see KF hanging it up as well. Would love to see PP as the HC for the next 5yrs, promote LW to OC with the future of HC for his taking if he meets certain goals.
Same thoughts I have. Brian is going to proactively take a role in the NFL, so it will allow for some movement. KF won't hang it up due to a desire to be on the field for longer (I think at least 3 years), and I really hope he retires here and not elsewhere.

Reactions: obfuscating
Correct. The OC has zero control in this program. You could bring in Nick Sabin as the coordinator and the O would look exactly the same.

Nothing wrong with a ball control run game, it’s all dependent on the O line. pair it with a good defense and you can win a lot of games. problem is the O line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT