ADVERTISEMENT

Kiah Stokes

I spoke with her dad, Greg, last night. Sounds like Kiah appreciates CC's greatness, but expects WNBA vets to be very physical with her because they don't want a rookie coming in and dominating. I think that's understandable and doesn't mean they're bad people. Sounds like the vets understand that CC will greatly enhance the visibility of the entire league which will benefit them all - he specifically mentioned Las Vegas (the team Kiah plays for) reserving a larger, 20,000 seat, I think, arena for their home games vs. Indiana.

I spoke with her dad, Greg, last night. Sounds like Kiah appreciates CC's greatness, but expects WNBA vets to be very physical with her because they don't want a rookie coming in and dominating. I think that's understandable and doesn't mean they're bad people. Sounds like the vets understand that CC will greatly enhance the visibility of the entire league which will benefit them all - he specifically mentioned Las Vegas (the team Kiah plays for) reserving a larger, 20,000 seat, I think, arena for their home games vs. Indiana.
Much like how Jordan was treated his rookie year.

I am expecting their petty asses to basically put a bounty on her.

I imagine her drives down the lane will be few and far between. Lots of assists and deep 3's....imo.
Her role her rookie season will be more to get a feel for the game, and distribute and set herself up for her trademark 3s.

Teams would rather try to shut her down than give her the opportunity to score points 1 on 1 and pad her stats as a rookie, while they play the UConn defense on Zach Edey where they let him get 37 pts while the rest of the team attempted SEVEN 3 pointers the entire game.......

The WNBA isn't gonna lock down like that, especially at the risk of letting Clark look like the star the media is hyping her up to be. (Not that WNBA teams could actually do that if they wanted to...........)

Instead, they'll try to force Clark to be a passer, which is going to be other teams' inevitable downfall, because the Fever have very capable scorers in Kelsey Mitchell, and last year's ROTY in Aaliyah Boston.

So WNBA teams will basically, and quite literally, have to pick their poison with Clark. Either take away her scoring in a petty attempt to limit her hype as a scorer and get killed by her ability to distribute/find open teammates........or let her get her points immediately by daring to play 1 on 1, thus perpetuating the already-present hype around her even if it doesn't lead to success in the W/L column initially.

Like you said, my guess is they'll play hack-a-shaq if she drives the lane to score, so she'll have to find her points through the mid and long range while racking up double digit assists most nights.

Last edited:
I don't know about that.

He was pretty darn big after his junior year and people had an idea what was coming.
He was a big deal for sure, but just saying he wasn't to men's college basketball in his last year what CC has been to women's college basketball. He didn't turn the sport on its head the way she did. He wasn't even the top pick in the draft, went #3.

I wouldn't call trying to take away her scoring as petty...kind of their job.
Sorry, I meant the over-emphasis on taking away her scoring, beyond just "Hey let's stop her because she could hurt us and we want to win"............................................................just sayin.

Reactions: ZachJump
She is the whole package. Needs a little more weight and toughness. But she's an elite passer and scorer.
I will be watching more of her than K or C Murray.
I think she already started to do that this past year. Re-watching last year's tournament highlights, she looked way leaner as a junior.

Reactions: littlez
I don't know about that.

He was pretty darn big after his junior year and people had an idea what was coming.
No bigger than Ralph Sampson, Sam Bowie, Akheem or even his team mate Sam Perkins. He delivered a lot of 40 point games in losses for many years.

Totally agree that she will need to rely on open look 3s and assists in Year 1. I don't see her taking anybody off the dribble. The scout will be to get in her grill, don't let her drive right, and run her off the line.
Not many women score over 20 in a season in the WNBA. I'm hoping for 17 and 10 in season 1, maybe 4 TOs/game as well. Can't wait to see what she does.

She is the whole package. Needs a little more weight and toughness. But she's an elite passer and scorer.
I'm already looking forward to watching the Fever. Obviously CC going there is the big draw, but Boston has made me a fan with her work in the studio for Peacock. She's not a lunatic like some of the studio personnel around the game are. Then there's my favorite non-hawk Grace Berger. I suspect the Fever are going to be a fun team to follow.

Does Indiana play fast paced transition BB?
CC excels in that style.

Slow it down, use all of the shot clock style - still good but can be mostly handled by quick/ physical defenders …. And WNBA has at least one on every team. She is not going to get a Van Lith on her up there.

Her role her rookie season will be more to get a feel for the game, and distribute and set herself up for her trademark 3s.

Teams would rather try to shut her down than give her the opportunity to score points 1 on 1 and pad her stats as a rookie, while they play the UConn defense on Zach Edey where they let him get 37 pts while the rest of the team attempted SEVEN 3 pointers the entire game.......

The WNBA isn't gonna lock down like that, especially at the risk of letting Clark look like the star the media is hyping her up to be. (Not that WNBA teams could actually do that if they wanted to...........)

Instead, they'll try to force Clark to be a passer, which is going to be other teams' inevitable downfall, because the Fever have very capable scorers in Kelsey Mitchell, and last year's ROTY in Aaliyah Boston.

So WNBA teams will basically, and quite literally, have to pick their poison with Clark. Either take away her scoring in a petty attempt to limit her hype as a scorer and get killed by her ability to distribute/find open teammates........or let her get her points immediately by daring to play 1 on 1, thus perpetuating the already-present hype around her even if it doesn't lead to success in the W/L column initially.

Like you said, my guess is they'll play hack-a-shaq if she drives the lane to score, so she'll have to find her points through the mid and long range while racking up double digit assists most nights.
I know next to nothing about the WNBA, but agree with this. If Caitlin has other scorers on the team that she can work with, she will get them the ball. She will draw some very physical defense, but her passing will keep teams from consistently double teaming her. She is the golden goose, and even if some players are jealous of her attention, they realize that they all can benefit from her presence.

Caitlin has other scorers on the team that she can work with, she will get them the ball.

The worse team in the WNBA is basically an All Star team. There is more active players in the NBA that has appeared in All Star games than there is starting spots in the WNBA.

Reactions: littlez
I don't know about that.

Every kid I knew worshiped Jordan before he ever played for the Bulls. He was so popular that Nike made a shoe for him before he played a minute in the league. A deal that was 3x the amount of any deal ever offered to an NBA player.

Bob Knight called him the greatest basketball player he had ever seen after the 84 Olympics.

He was absolutely as big as CC.

Last edited:

The biggest problem is the eyes that will start watching the wnba will see how bad the basketball is.
The interest will be over in about 2 months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT