ADVERTISEMENT

Kids and the Military

Tweak the squid?

Dealing with Marines who also attended the Navy Avionics A school I've heard it all in terms of the crap they dole out. You need some new game in that regard, yours sucks.

Your reference to hot racking is one for the Submarine Navy, On a carrier that doesn't happen. Being on a carrier beats living in a fox hole or a tent city on deployment. Pulling into ports and visiting foreign cities certainly doesn't suck.
Yes, clearly I haven't touched a nerve lol

Here’s my 2 cents. I grew up an Army brat. Lived in Germany for 8 years growing up. Have had many friends join the service and/or do ROTC in college before going active.

Air Force is most selective and typically have the nicer facilities and bases. They are less likely to be in harm’s way unless a fighter pilot… and they are still in a great position. That said, they promote slower. So, if able to get in and learn a desirable skill that translates well outside it’s a great launching pad.

Army (and maybe im biased) is to me the next best. Not as selective as AF, but have many good technical positions and promotions are faster. So, if considering a career this would be my choice to advance faster. But if you get out still have a good skill that translates.

Navy/Marine to me are the same. Clearly some differences, but they are partners and often same bases and deployments. Not a fan of the 6 months at sea. And, Marines are often In dicey situations when they occur. Also don’t promote as fast as the Army does.

My middle son is contemplating ROTC in college next year and would have his school paid for. There you don’t have a say in being Active Diry, Giard or Reserves. Too performers get first pick, so that’s the o ly way to control your destiny. It’s the same for branching. You submit your top few, they interview you and then make selections. But, can make a career or do your few years and get out and use that leadership experience to launch career.

Told my son it’s not a video game, cannot respawn and fight again. In cambat you get one life. He understands and weighing his options. I will not discourage him from pursuing it if that’s what he wants to do. Instead I’ll encourage him to be the best if that’s his path.

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT