ADVERTISEMENT

Kim Potter Trial

A tragic mistake that deserves the penalty she is receiving.

Use of force was necessary when Daunte Wright put that police officer's life in jeopardy. That police officer was in the car, of course, trying to prevent Daunte from driving off. Potter intended on using her taser but used her handgun instead. Many testified that either choice would have been acceptable in that situation.

Daunte Wright shoots people in the head and car jacks people; he was obviously a very dangerous threat. But Daunte Wright didn't give a crap about anyone's life, especially a LEO's life. And Kim Potter responded appropriately and ended the threat.

Today's ultra race charged environment demanded some sort of punishment.

I thought she be would found not guilty at trial due to circumstances Fran mentioned, but I understand errors have consequences. I would not have been surprised by a time already served verdict. To me, this is a bit more than expected, but no outrage here.

Today's ultra race charged environment demanded some sort of punishment.

I thought she be would found not guilty at trial due to circumstances Fran mentioned, but I understand errors have consequences. I would not have been surprised by a time already served verdict. To me, this is a bit more than expected, but no outrage here.
I would’ve been fine with no charges being filed. Once they were, though, I figured she’d be found guilty. The evidence supported conviction. And, like you I would have totally been okay with time served. As it is, the judge gave some punishment but well below the recommended sentence.

It could have been far worse for Potter.

That being said, I’m shedding no tears for Duante Wright. He was scum and a criminal, and his own actions contributed to his death.

I would’ve been fine with no charges being filed. Once they were, though, I figured she’d be found guilty. The evidence supported conviction. And, like you I would have totally been okay with time served. As it is, the judge gave some punishment but well below the recommended sentence.

It could have been far worse for Potter.

That being said, I’m shedding no tears for Duante Wright. He was scum and a criminal, and his own actions contributed to his death.
This. People have to remember that officer Noor got less than five years for intentionally murdering a woman for calling the police— intentionally took out his gun and intentionally shot her for no reason. Whine as you may, but one did society a service.

This. People have to remember that officer Noor got less than five years for intentionally murdering a woman for calling the police— intentionally took out his gun and intentionally shot her for no reason. Whine as you may, but one did society a service.

and its laughable how the parents stand up for their son, as if he's some angel stolen from them.

the parents should be ashamed of who they "raised."

you know, their son at age 20, who:

* had a weapons warrant out for his arrest
* Had a restraining order against him
* Shot someone in the head, leaving that person permanently disabled
* Car jacked another person at gun point
* Behaved recklessly during the traffic stop, where he put a LEO's life in danger when the LEO was straddled over the passenger seat, trying to prevent their son from fleeing the scene

I love how you shame a family for being upset that they lost a family member evem though he has a criminal record but also defend a complete stranger who has been found guilty of manslaughter.

They should be ashamed at who they raised.

Daunte Wright, in his 20 years,, put a bullet in another man's head.

Kim Potter fired a service weapon once in 26 years on the job and it took a dangerous criminal like Daunte Wright for her to do it. And why did she do it? Because of Daunte Wright's total disregard for human life (in this case, the life of the LEO who was straddled over the passenger seat, trying to prevent Daunte Wright from fleeing the scene).

I love how you shame a family for being upset that they lost a family member evem though he has a criminal record but also defend a complete stranger who has been found guilty of manslaughter.

American history is littered with unjust and/or wrongful convictions.

Reactions: mstp1992
They should be ashamed at who they raised.

Daunte Wright, in his 20 years,, put a bullet in another man's head.

Kim Potter fired a service weapon once in 26 years on the job and it took a dangerous criminal like Daunte Wright for her to do it. And why did she do it? Because of Daunte Wright's total disregard for human life (in this case, the life of the LEO who was straddled over the passenger seat, trying to prevent Daunte Wright from fleeing the scene).
Please link the body cam video that shows a LEO straddled over the passenger seat.

Please link the body cam video that shows a LEO straddled over the passenger seat.

The LEO was straddled over the passenger seat, trying to prevent Daunte Wright from putting the car into DRIVE and taking off with the LEO still in the car.

* This was was part of sworn testimony

* The judge referenced this in the sentencing

Try to better educate yourself on this case, please.

The LEO was straddled over the passenger seat, trying to prevent Daunte Wright from putting the car into DRIVE and taking off with the LEO still in the car.

* This was was part of sworn testimony

* The judge referenced this in the sentencing

Try to better educate yourself on this case, please.
As soon as Potter started repeating taser, taser, taser everyone backed off and no one was in the straddling the passenger seat. If they had been when she fired her weapon the officers life would have been in danger from the weapon. Use your eyes and some common sense

As soon as Potter started repeating taser, taser, taser everyone backed off and no one was in the straddling the passenger seat. If they had been when she fired her weapon the officers life would have been in danger from the weapon. Use your eyes and some common sense

What a bunch of ignorant BS.

Why don't you read up on the case, get your facts straight, and then attempt using some common sense.

And in your attempt to educate yourself on this case, be sure to go watch the video of the judge during sentencing; she brought up the LEO's life being in danger because of the reckless actions of Daunte Wright

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
True. But thankfully this isn't one of those cases. I hope Ms. Potter uses her time in prison to repent for her actions and come out a better person.

She'll be out in 14 months. The judge went easy on her, and for many good reasons.

She was already a good person. Anyone with a brain knows that. Daunte Wright, on the other hand, was anything but a good person. Just ask the many victims of Daunte Wright, especially the victim who took a bullet to the head and is disabled for life.

What a bunch of ignorant BS.

Why don't you read up on the case, get your facts straight, and then attempt using some common sense.

And in your attempt to educate yourself on this case, be sure to go watch the video of the judge during sentencing; she brought up the LEO's life being in danger because of the reckless actions of Daunte Wright
Provide the link that proves your point instead of acting like some sort of authority. Potter make a big mistake and was found guilty by a jury of her peers. Her sentence was minimal, but appropriate. Those that have great power also have great responsibility. Potter knew she was guilty immediately following the shooting, she said "I'm going to jail." Do you not respect her opinion?

She'll be out in 14 months. The judge went easy on her, and for many good reasons.

She was already a good person. Anyone with a brain knows that. Daunte Wright, on the other hand, was anything but a good person. Just ask the many victims of Daunte Wright, especially the victim who took a bullet to the head and is disabled for life.
You keep harping on Wright's criminal record but that is immaterial in this case. Allowing it to enter the conversion makes the officer judge, jury and in this case, executioner.

Provide the link that proves your point instead of acting like some sort of authority. Potter make a big mistake and was found guilty by a jury of her peers. Her sentence was minimal, but appropriate. Those that have great power also have great responsibility. Potter knew she was guilty immediately following the shooting, she said "I'm going to jail." Do you not respect her opinion?

The fact that you need a link is a reflection of your ignorance on this particular case.

You don't have to watch for long before the judge states that Kimberly Potter drew a weapon, and I quote, "to protect a fellow officer on the other side of the vehicle who could have been dragged and seriously injured if the car were to speed away."

• Haha
You keep harping on Wright's criminal record but that is immaterial in this case. Allowing it to enter the conversion makes the officer judge, jury and in this case, executioner.

Kimberly Potter clearly was not an "executioner."

Potter was trying to prevent Daunte Wright from seriously injuring a fellow officer. Watch the video that I posted in the previous post; the judge was very clear on this.

Because Potter was trying to prevent serious injury to a fellow officer, use of force (taser or hand gun) was justified, as several testified under oath.

The only person in this case who had a clear disregard for life was Daunte Wright.

Kimberly Potter clearly was not an "executioner."

Potter was trying to prevent Daunte Wright from seriously injuring a fellow officer. Watch the video that I posted in the previous post; the judge was very clear on this.

Because Potter was trying to prevent serious injury to a fellow officer, use of force (taser or hand gun) was justified, as several testified under oath.

The only person in this case who had a clear disregard for life was Daunte Wright.
You are completely missing the point.

The fact that you need a link is a reflection of your ignorance on this particular case.

You don't have to watch for long before the judge states that Kimberly Potter drew a weapon, and I quote, "to protect a fellow officer on the other side of the vehicle who could have been dragged and seriously injured if the car were to speed away."

The car did speed away and no officer was injured.

Your point was that Potter an executioner. She clearly was not.

So, I understand your "point;" you are simply wrong.
No. No. No. My point was Wright's criminal history is immaterial in this case. Read my post again slowly.

No officers were injured because of Potter's appropriate use of force and accuracy.

And it was not surprising that the career criminal would still recklessly try to flee the scene.
No they were uninjured because the officers backed off when she repeated taser. Her force and accuracy did not stop the car from speeding away.

Watch all the officers step away from the car as she shoots. It's on the dash cam video in the bottom right corner.

No they were uninjured because the officers backed off when she repeated taser. Her force and accuracy did not stop the car from speeding away.

Watch all the officers step away from the car as she shoots. It's on the dash cam video in the bottom right corner.

Again, the judge says you are wrong.

The judge during sentencing states that Kimberly Potter drew a weapon, and I quote, "to protect a fellow officer on the other side of the vehicle who could have been dragged and seriously injured if the car were to speed away."

Everyone can watch for themselves here:

No. No. No. My point was Wright's criminal history is immaterial in this case. Read my post again slowly.
And I think most people agree. But it’s not immaterial in the court of public opinion. I would care a lot more if he was an upstanding human being, but he wasn’t, far from it, so I frankly don’t care that the POS is now dead. I just don’t. Not one bit. I hope he suffered in excruciating pain up until his last breath. Does that make me a bad person? To some I’m sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: mstp1992
And I think most people agree. But it’s not immaterial in the court of public opinion. I would care a lot more if he was an upstanding human being, but he wasn’t, far from it, so I frankly don’t care that the POS is now dead. I just don’t. Not one bit. I hope he suffered in excruciating pain up until his last breath. Does that make me a bad person? To some I’m sure.

Ben Crump has been front and center in all of the press conferences. it is very likely the city will settle for over $20 million for wrongful death.

As we know, there was a warrant for Daunte Wright's arrest on a weapons charge. If he hadn't resisted arrest and attempted to flee, none of this would have happened.

At the same time, I hope Daunte Wright's victims also get justice. One of his victims was the female who had a restraining order on him. And I have mentioned this before; there are 2 lawsuits already against Daunte Wright's estate.

* In one law suit, it is alleged that Daunte Wright shot a man in the head, leaving him with severe brain damage, where the victim will need 24/7, very expensive care, for the rest of his life.

* In the 2nd law suit, it is alleged that Daunte Wright's accomplice shot a man while the accomplice and Daunte Wright car jacked the victim; it is alleged it was Daunte Wright who then drove the victim's car as Daunte Wright and the accomplice fled the scene.

Watch the discussion here:

Actually, I’m going to disagree with myself here. I think his past criminal history should have played into this case as it is pertinent. The officers knew the history, they knew he was a violent person which leads to treating that situation differently than someone who doesn’t. At the end of the day they could have turned out differently for all involved had any number of situations occurred instead, but only one of those was Potters.

I think most people agree with you in their opinions of Wright (i.e., court of public opinion). He was a criminal scumbag who won’t be missed.

However, based on existing Minnesota law she did in fact commit a crime. Had she not been charged? I wouldn’t have been upset. Had she been sentenced to far more prison time than she is getting? Yes, I would’ve questioned the outcome.

I would have been okay with zero prison, but think this sentence is appropriate given all the circumstances (i.e., guilty verdict on the charges).

I haven’t followed the trial or the details of this case but did hear the family’s victim impact statements and Kim Potter’s statement, and then the judge’s sentencing statement.

I thought the judge handled a difficult situation well, and sent a strong and appropriate message that while the officer made a tragic mistake, it was still worthy of some prison time.

On the other hand, you could tell the judge, while sympathetic, clearly wasn’t buying the ‘Wright was a saint’ angle the family was pushing in their statements.

She clearly didn't "go around blasting people," as you stated.

As the judge stated, during a lawful arrest, Daunte Wright resisted arrest, attempted to flee, and put another officer's life in danger when Daunte Wright tried to put the car in DRIVE with the officer straddled over the passenger seat.

Unfortunately, Kim Potter made a mistake during a chaotic situation created by Daunte Wright. When trying to stop Daunte Wright from seriously injuring another police officer, she reached for her firearm when it was clear she intended on using her taser.
Again, she completely botched this arrest. And yes, she totally blasted Daunte Wright.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT