ADVERTISEMENT

Kim Reynolds is an idiot

Any way you slice it, there isn't a congregation of people and limited traffic at a car dealership showroom. You're obsessed with non factor businesses.
The point is many are claiming only essential businesses in Iowa are open. That's not true. Now you want to claim those businesses that are open are low traffic areas so no big deal. Either close all non essential businesses or don't claim the state is basically in "shelter in place" when it clearly is not.

Reynolds, like Trump... knows more than the Doctors.

How did you guys like her response to the reporters's question regarding the petition signed by the Board of Medicine?

You know damn well she's read it. Saying otherwise, when you have all the information at your fingertips, is beyond dishonest.

I would bet my right nut that she read it and just didn't have a prepared answer to the petition.

You would risk becoming a eunuch over something like that?

The point is many are claiming only essential businesses in Iowa are open. That's not true. Now you want to claim those businesses that are open are low traffic areas so no big deal. Either close all non essential businesses or don't claim the state is basically in "shelter in place" when it clearly is not.

They are getting closed. Iowa is basically SIP - come to downtown Des Moines next week. You're arguing about trifling things.

Reactions: cruhawk
No, what I said was there a few business types that slipped through the cracks. They slipped through the cracks because they are minimal and left off the cut list. The state is basically shelter in place though if these very low traffic businesses, which comprise a very small portion of the communities' markets, remain open.

They are getting closed. Iowa is basically SIP - come to downtown Des Moines next week. You're arguing about trifling things.
You asked what businesses were still open and I answered. Then people started telling me why they didn't matter. I explained why I think they do.

You asked what businesses were still open and I answered. Then people started telling me why they didn't matter. I explained why I think they do.
You haven't explained why you think they matter You have only complained that they are open.

You haven't explained why you think they matter You have only complained that they are open.
They matter because more people are in public than necessary. Explain why they are more essential than other low traffic businesses that are required to be closed.

Reactions: Raglefant
Small retail businesses are only a part of it and that likely isn't the group pressuring her to hold out. If a few retail establishments were the only ones affected she would have already issued the order. It's probably larger companies that have the most influence.

Probably the most important part would be more people taking social distancing measures seriously. The order would result in fewer people out and about. Fewer trips into businesses of any kind. Before it is said for the 30th time, no, not everyone would follow the order and yes, many people are already doing a good job, but there would be more people adhering to it than there are now. I saw the difference myself in California. It is a strong public show of the seriousness of the situation. I think that might be the root disagreement here? Some don't think that a lack of medical resources is a real possibility?

It sounds to me like your Governor is placing a bet that you won't reach that point. If you do, this decision will haunt her. I hope for all your sakes she wins that bet. Everyone in every state is praying they don't reach that point. I think that's why other state's are hurt, the decision doesn't just affect Iowans. You may be doing a lot to slow the spread, but if you're not doing EVERYTHING possible, and you or other states escalate to the point where people die due to a lack of critical equipment or services, the decision will haunt us all. It's hard to understand, since it sounds like many don't think there's much of a difference anyway, rejecting a call for national solidarity on this.

Small retail businesses are only a part of it and that likely isn't the group pressuring her to hold out. If a few retail establishments were the only ones affected she would have already issued the order. It's probably larger companies that have the most influence.

Probably the most important part would be more people taking social distancing measures seriously. The order would result in fewer people out and about. Fewer trips into businesses of any kind. Before it is said for the 30th time, no, not everyone would follow the order and yes, many people are already doing a good job, but there would be more people adhering to it than there are now. I saw the difference myself in California. It is a strong public show of the seriousness of the situation. I think that might be the root disagreement here? Some don't think that a lack of medical resources is a real possibility?

It sounds to me like your Governor is placing a bet that you won't reach that point. If you do, this decision will haunt her. I hope for all your sakes she wins that bet. Everyone in every state is praying they don't reach that point. I think that's why other state's are hurt, the decision doesn't just affect Iowans. You may be doing a lot to slow the spread, but if you're not doing EVERYTHING possible, and you or other states escalate to the point where people die due to a lack of critical equipment or services, the decision will haunt us all. It's hard to understand, since it sounds like many don't think there's much of a difference anyway, rejecting a call for national solidarity on this.

What state are you in?

In both of these situations... a SIP shuts them down for a longer period. Obviously a huge $$$ drain on the State's unemployment budget.

I've been critical of Reynolds, but Iowans know who her mentor was and his reputation.:rolleyes:

BTW: Latest tally... 93% of America's population is under some form of SIP. GO IOWA!
Couldn’t you say Iowa is “under some form of SIP”?

Couldn’t you say Iowa is “under some form of SIP”?

under some form, yes. However, it’s as simple as essential and nonessential people working. I’m a nonessential and come in contact with at least 20 different people who are mostly nonessential and they are working with hundreds of others. It’s a pretty simple concept. I don’t know why people can’t grasp that I could be spreading it unnecessary and killing people.

under some form, yes. However, it’s as simple as essential and nonessential people working. I’m a nonessential and come in contact with at least 20 different people who are mostly nonessential and they are working with hundreds of others. It’s a pretty simple concept. I don’t know why people can’t grasp that I could be spreading it unnecessary and killing people.
I was simply referring to the post that said 93% of states had “some form of SIP” Iowa in my opinion has a form of SIP. We therefore must be in the 93%?.

Reactions: SansSouci
Words are word. Actions mean something. If you need a "Shelter In Place" order just pretend Gov. Kim has given it and stay the F*** home. If you're a reasonable Iowan who doesn't need to be told twice to stay home, wash your hands, only go out when necessary then do your thing.

JFC people, it isn't rocket science. Follow directives from the state government, do your due diligence and spread the word and not the virus.

Says the people from the left that want to keep killers alive on death row
Not this person on the left. I think there needs to be a higher level of evidence but I"m not at all opposed to the death penalty and I think it needs to happen more expeditiously.

Words are word. Actions mean something. If you need a "Shelter In Place" order just pretend Gov. Kim has given it and stay the F*** home. If you're a reasonable Iowan who doesn't need to be told twice to stay home, wash your hands, only go out when necessary then do your thing.

JFC people, it isn't rocket science. Follow directives from the state government, do your due diligence and spread the word and not the virus.
The order would keep more people home. That would be the option that correlates with "action" because it would actually result in fewer transmissions, therefore it would mean something.

Pretending she made the order and saying people should just be smarter would be the one that correlates with "words are just words." You almost nailed it, just backwards. So close!

Reactions: pjhawk and MitchLL
Looks like the Governor of Nebraska just got a similar petition from a Doctor's group in Nebraska that Reynolds got on Friday from the BOM.

We'll see who holds out longer?

BTW: Does anyone know if Ms Kimmy voted in the HROT poll regarding which State will be the last holdout.

I know this forum is world renowned, so which poster does everyone thing Reynolds might be?

The goal of the Minnesota shelter in place order was to reduce social interaction by 80%.

iowa, a state with less population density, is doing better than that with a less aggressive approach.

but by all means let’s get pissed

The order would keep more people home. That would be the option that correlates with "action" because it would actually result in fewer transmissions, therefore it would mean something.

Pretending she made the order and saying people should just be smarter would be the one that correlates with "words are just words." You almost nailed it, just backwards. So close!

You missed the point. People like you need words to make it real. In other words, you listen but you don't hear. Gov. Kim has repeatedly told us to stay at home. If you can't do that, you're an idiot. I don't mean you, just the mindset.

I'm not backwards, I'm a straight thinking American who wants things to get back to normal.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
You missed the point. People like you need words to make it real. In other words, you listen but you don't hear. Gov. Kim has repeatedly told us to stay at home. If you can't do that, you're an idiot. I don't mean you, just the mindset.

I'm not backwards, I'm a straight thinking American who wants things to get back to normal.
It isn’t going to matter what you call it. People will do what they want. Most stores in CR very busy today. Maybe some more businesses will close but that will just put more in the stores.

40% of Iowa’s positive C-19 cases are in long term care per the news this evening. Projected peak is now the first week of May with close to 50 people a day dying from the model they ran but it doesn’t take into account iowa schools are closed. Not sure why that isn’t considered and had to flaw the models projections.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
40% of Iowa’s positive C-19 cases are in long term care per the news this evening. Projected peak is now the first week of May with close to 50 people a day dying from the model they ran but it doesn’t take into account iowa schools are closed. Not sure why that isn’t considered and had to flaw the models projections.
I think the death projections are high, myself, but I'd rather have them overestimate than underestimate.

I really hope "dumb luck" is on Reynold's side.

I think the death projections are high, myself, but I'd rather have them overestimate than underestimate.

I really hope "dumb luck" is on Reynold's side.
Death total projections dropped from 1488 to 420. Maybe, just maybe, Kimmie is a little more qualified to make those decision instead of you.

Death total projections dropped from 1488 to 420. Maybe, just maybe, Kimmie is a little more qualified to make those decision instead of you.
My opinions of Reynold's decisions had nothing to do with the death projections.

I still feel all of her decision making has been based on financial and political calculations. After observing all of the corruption in Iowa State govt in conjunction with Upmeyer, destroying collective bargaining, cooking the books on budget numbers, political appts, covering for sexual harassment from her dept appointees... well, you get my drift.

But like I said...Branstad was her mentor and she's following in his footsteps.

I hope like hell she limps through this.

Reactions: Raglefant

YOU miss the point. SAYING things like people "should" listen and stay at home or that people who don't are idiots, are by definition "just words."

Action would be making the order. The reason it would be action is that the result would be MORE PEOPLE STAYING AT HOME. Clearly you understand that it's best for people to stay home, so why not compell more idiots to follow that advice for the betterment of society? The SIP order isn't for the ones already following the rules, it's for the dumb ones who aren't. It wouldn't change everyone's behavior, but across a state population, it would make a difference.

Update on SIP in NJ and NY. Report is from 63 Miles South of NYC (Mercer County NJ) Dribe from their to Lake Ontario yesterday. Traffic was heavier than expected, I would say normal, mix of cars and semis. No police except on 81 entering NY from PA. Normal.speed trap areas 2 spots both had to patrol cars, parked driver door to driver door. Tackle shops.were open, grabbed some floats and headed to Salmon River to cast a line. Busy is an under statement. Plenty of room to social.distance though. Busy is normal this time of year. Listened to local radio 570 Syracuse. They had to close the golf courses and take down basketball hoops because people gathering. Asked the public to stop calling if they see people out, unless it's a huge gathering. Cant arrest them, said we won't arrest them we will just keep removing what ever they need too or close more activities, stressed that the curve is flattening but not to get complacent. Was pressed on arresting people.and admitted they cant, you dont get arrested in America under SIP under current laws. I'm sure the aftermath of this will.see laws being reviewed to make that possible. Not here to share my views in that, you all can discuss. So SIP is the same as what you are all doing out their with the exception of the shock value, you all actually have a few more business closed than NY does out here. I may drive into NYC next.week, not trying to get in first responders way so maybe not. I am not second guessing the authorities or the seriousness of this. Just not as worked up from fear as some, I am physically distancing but stressing social cohesiveness. A lot of my D friends are in a frenzy and panicked. I avoid any of the conversations as I lean skeptical of all of them. Nice day out low 50's and sunny, snow in forecast later in the week. Stay safe, physical.distsncing is a safe bet, but as far a an official SIP, my opinion is what I have seen. No roadblocks, no arrests, no humvees stopping me from moving. One more though, the small town my home is near is not NYC, it's very much like all the small towns in Iowa. People get along,.gossip, still talk to each other and their fore work together in times like these, now the metro areas like where my friend is in NJ, very distant. I'm getting to know all of them as I walk my dog each day, from a distance. People.want to talk again. Actually 1 more thought, domestic abuse is going up, Cuomo even mentioned that, SIP, staying home takes a toll on people, now is a time to be American first. But I know a lot of us have very strong views and well.....that just overflows into getting along to stone deadly virus. I'm skeptical of them all, both fo what each side claims to the other....but again that for all you to sort out.

Update on SIP in NJ and NY. Report is from 63 Miles South of NYC (Mercer County NJ) Dribe from their to Lake Ontario yesterday. Traffic was heavier than expected, I would say normal, mix of cars and semis. No police except on 81 entering NY from PA. Normal.speed trap areas 2 spots both had to patrol cars, parked driver door to driver door. Tackle shops.were open, grabbed some floats and headed to Salmon River to cast a line. Busy is an under statement. Plenty of room to social.distance though. Busy is normal this time of year. Listened to local radio 570 Syracuse. They had to close the golf courses and take down basketball hoops because people gathering. Asked the public to stop calling if they see people out, unless it's a huge gathering. Cant arrest them, said we won't arrest them we will just keep removing what ever they need too or close more activities, stressed that the curve is flattening but not to get complacent. Was pressed on arresting people.and admitted they cant, you dont get arrested in America under SIP under current laws. I'm sure the aftermath of this will.see laws being reviewed to make that possible. Not here to share my views in that, you all can discuss. So SIP is the same as what you are all doing out their with the exception of the shock value, you all actually have a few more business closed than NY does out here. I may drive into NYC next.week, not trying to get in first responders way so maybe not. I am not second guessing the authorities or the seriousness of this. Just not as worked up from fear as some, I am physically distancing but stressing social cohesiveness. A lot of my D friends are in a frenzy and panicked. I avoid any of the conversations as I lean skeptical of all of them. Nice day out low 50's and sunny, snow in forecast later in the week. Stay safe, physical.distsncing is a safe bet, but as far a an official SIP, my opinion is what I have seen. No roadblocks, no arrests, no humvees stopping me from moving. One more though, the small town my home is near is not NYC, it's very much like all the small towns in Iowa. People get along,.gossip, still talk to each other and their fore work together in times like these, now the metro areas like where my friend is in NJ, very distant. I'm getting to know all of them as I walk my dog each day, from a distance. People.want to talk again. Actually 1 more thought, domestic abuse is going up, Cuomo even mentioned that, SIP, staying home takes a toll on people, now is a time to be American first. But I know a lot of us have very strong views and well.....that just overflows into getting along to stone deadly virus. I'm skeptical of them all, both fo what each side claims to the other....but again that for all you to sort out.

Dude, paragraphs please.

Says the people from the left that want to keep killers alive on death row but kill unborn babies. Nice!

Sad to see you don’t support all Americans constitutional rights. You can always pack up and GTFO if you don’t like it. Maybe the Philippines are more your speed?

Sad to see you don’t support all Americans constitutional rights. You can always pack up and GTFO if you don’t like it. Maybe the Philippines are more your speed?

I don’t make idle threats to leave the country if my candidate doesn’t win and then never does, like all the celebrities when a Republican wins. Regarding Constitutional rights, when you kill another human being, you give up those rights to either sit in a cage the rest of your life or get executed.

I don’t make idle threats to leave the country if my candidate doesn’t win and then never does, like all the celebrities when a Republican wins. Regarding Constitutional rights, when you kill another human being, you give up those rights to either sit in a cage the rest of your life or get executed.

Nor do I. I prefer lifers to sit and think about their lost freedom. Death seems too easy of an early exit. It also removes the possibility of putting innocent folks to death in error. That should never happen.

Reactions: gohawks50
Nor do I. I prefer lifers to sit and think about their lost freedom. Death seems too easy of an early exit. It also removes the possibility of putting innocent folks to death in error. That should never happen.

I’ve sat as a juror on a murder case in Des Moines and after seeing what the guy did to his wife, depraving his young child of his mother, I’d have no problem pulling the switch on that pos.

How cute..........Reynolds had T shirts printed up commemorating the virus.

What's next? Bumper stickers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT