ADVERTISEMENT

Kinnick Atmosphere - Home field advantage?

TheRifleman86

All-Conference
Nov 23, 2003
Having attended Iowa as a student many years ago - I always remembered the fans being louder and offering more of a "home field advantage" -- maybe as a student, that's the way it seems - I guess drinking can do that to you.

I've gone back to quite a few games since, but find the crowd to be boring as hell. You can't get many fans to stand up or even yell on a 3rd down by the opposing team. The fans seem excited in the 1st quarter but seem to "punch themselves out" pretty quickly. I realize the game against Illinois State was a snoozer and it was hot out, but people wouldn't even stand on 3rd down.

I hate Iowa State and Nebraska, but at least they try to give their team a real home field advantage.

What happened to the Iowa crowd and how does it get corrected?

I have a feeling Kinnick will look and sound like Kinnick if we come to play ball against Pitt. Ferentz has attempted two failed fake FGs this year. He got a standing ovation for the first one and some WTF's for the second one, but there's not a 12 page thread about the second one apart from the real-time stuff in the game thread. You know why? Because we won.

beat Pitt, and crowd will be insane for Wisconsin.

But is that what it should take? If you go to the games, do your part and make it as unbearable for the opponent to hear and communicate as possible. At least provide some sort of atmosphere that resembles an excited fan base.

Maybe I'm wrong?

I just don't get it when I go to the games --- it's like people are in their living rooms, watching a movie and trying to be quiet so that they can hear the dialogue.

I don't know where you sit, but your experience is completely unlike the games I attend. I'm in the east stands.

But is that what it should take? If you go to the games, do your part and make it as unbearable for the opponent to hear and communicate as possible. At least provide some sort of atmosphere that resembles an excited fan base.

Maybe I'm wrong?

I just don't get it when I go to the games --- it's like people are in their living rooms, watching a movie and trying to be quiet so that they can hear the dialogue.

Despite the lower turnout, I thought the crowd was pretty good for Illiniois St considering how hot it was and who our opponent was. And I was completely sober for that game.

I don't know where you sit, but your experience is completely unlike the games I attend. I'm in the east stands.

I was in the west stands on the 40 yd line - dead as dead can be.

Not that I recommend it, but if you ever go to a Nebraska game, you'll at least hear some real crowd noise. Oh well, I guess people have accepted the piss poor atmosphere I witnessed as now being normal.

Having attended Iowa as a student many years ago - I always remembered the fans being louder and offering more of a "home field advantage" -- maybe as a student, that's the way it seems - I guess drinking can do that to you.

I've gone back to quite a few games since, but find the crowd to be boring as hell. You can't get many fans to stand up or even yell on a 3rd down by the opposing team. The fans seem excited in the 1st quarter but seem to "punch themselves out" pretty quickly. I realize the game against Illinois State was a snoozer and it was hot out, but people wouldn't even stand on 3rd down.

I hate Iowa State and Nebraska, but at least they try to give their team a real home field advantage.

Don't know where you sat but everyone around me was standing and yelling on 3rd downs at the ILL ST game. I actually thought the crowd did a great job considering there were about 12K empty seats.

Not that I recommend it, but if you ever go to a Nebraska game, you'll at least hear some real crowd noise. Oh well, I guess people have accepted the piss poor atmosphere I witnessed as now being normal.

It won't last, man. What other fan bases do you know who will get raucous over a failed attempt at a fake field goal? If the team is playing with the type of energy we've seen through two games and enjoying success, Kinnick will be rocking. What you saw at Trice was a rivalry game. If ISU quits and has a horrible season, you won't see Trice like that in October/November. For as much as I don't care for them (some of it is jealousy, some of it is hesitation to admit that I was born in Omaha despite having no memory of it), what you see at Nebraska is decades of success and tradition. Our fans have just been frustrated for 5 years. If Nebraska became absolutely pathetic, the game-day atmosphere in Lincoln would probably suffer.

Don't know where you sat but everyone around me was standing and yelling on 3rd downs at the ILL ST game. I actually thought the crowd did a great job considering there were about 12K empty seats.

Yeah, the only caveat is that it died before the 4th q, but really how can you blame them? ILL ST had under 100 yards at that point.

Overall, the fans have not been as active in the last 4 years...and we all know why.

Right now 2-0, soon to be 4-0, if they return at 6-0 it will be loud.

It won't last, man. What other fan bases do you know who will get raucous over a failed attempt at a fake field goal? If the team is playing with the type of energy we've seen through two games and enjoying success, Kinnick will be rocking. What you saw at Trice was a rivalry game. If ISU quits and has a horrible season, you won't see Trice like that in October/November. For as much as I don't care for them (some of it is jealousy, some of it is hesitation to admit that I was born in Omaha despite having no memory of it), what you see at Nebraska is decades of success and tradition. Our fans have just been frustrated for 5 years. If Nebraska became absolutely pathetic, the game-day atmosphere in Lincoln would probably suffer.

FFFFF Nebraska

Reactions: Hawkfan_08

This is my experience as well. I don't think the Kinnick crowd per se has been much different than how it has been for many years. It ebbs and flows as do all things with life. Off the top of my head, the best crowds I've seen not in any particular order are: a Michigan game in 87 or so where the crowd got a noise warning thanks to the efforts of Bo Schembechler; Purdue at home in 90 to clinch a Rose Bowl appearance; 02 v. ISU; 03 v. ASU; 04 v. Wisc; 06 v. OSU; 08 v. PSU; and pretty much the entire home slate in 09.

The pregame atmosphere is probably a factor, too. It'd help if LEOs focused on real problems instead of public intox fishing expeditions and if the Univ cooperated more with vendors/property owners/etc on Melrose. I'm old enough I remember when botas were allowed into Kinnick and while those were fun days, I was amazed that there weren't more serious injuries.

I feel like our little section in the south east corner of the grandstand is always loud on 3rd down. I agree that it doesn't seem as loud as some games in the last 10 years but not bad.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm wrong?

"Maybe I'm wrong? ". Well you got something right in your post.

I have a feeling Kinnick will look and sound like Kinnick if we come to play ball against Pitt. Ferentz has attempted two failed fake FGs this year. He got a standing ovation for the first one and some WTF's for the second one, but there's not a 12 page thread about the second one apart from the real-time stuff in the game thread. You know why? Because we won.
I was in Lames for the game and The PA announcer and program could use a few of ISU's tricks. Players on the big board asking fans to get loud on Third downs for the opposition etc.

black and gold game. never been to one. does the stadium provide the appropriate color to wear? if not, is there an official current color section chart somewhere?

black and gold game. never been to one.
black and gold game. never been to one. does the stadium provide the appropriate color to wear? if not, is there an official current color section chart somewhere?

if not, is there an official current color section chart somewhere?

Yes, you need to call or e-mail Gary Barta with your size so they know what size jacket to get you.

Just kidding. Even sections wear Gold. Odd numbered sections and students wear black. Have fun at the game!

I am not sure what you are talking about. It was a good crowd against Ill State and Kinnick was electric against Wisconsin and Nebraska last year. The fans have done their part. The coach has failed to do his.

You must be a Nebraska troll. I went to the last Iowa Nebraska game and their fans are quiet. It was nothing like Kinnick.

Last season was a huge disappointment, what do you expect? The first game was pretty loud for 50,000 fans and 95 degree heat. I'm guessing the crowd will be a big factor this Saturday. Win this week and beat Wisc it will be back to 2009 levels for the Illinois game.

Forget it he's rollin

114995-this-could-be-the-greatest-nig-FIsP.gif

You must be a Nebraska troll. I went to the last Iowa Nebraska game and their fans are quiet. It was nothing like Kinnick.

Yeah, I went to college at Iowa and have been a fan for 40 years, but sure, I'm a Nebraska troll.

It's idiots like you that make message boards like this a joke .... go attack someone else dumba$$

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT