ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz Q&A

Apr 8, 2003

-

Opening Statement

Good afternoon. Appreciate everybody being here.

Just taking a look back at the weekend and then obviously turn our attention to Saturday.

Just coming out of the weekend, we talked after the game and after seeing the film, no question I think it was our most complete football game as a team so far, so that was good to see.

Offensively I think we showed more growth, played with good balance and just seeing some good efforts out there. Good to have our receivers get involved, more involved. I think we're improving up front, so those are both positives, obviously.

Defensively I just thought the guys were really focused and really played tenacious defense start to finish. Guys up front did a great job, linebackers, and the back end. Just a really, really good team effort against a very good offensive football team.

Special teams, especially considering the circumstances, happy with the way they produced. So for the most part pretty good there, as well. A lot of positives coming out of the game. Congratulations to Kaleb Johnson for his recognition from the Big Ten, well deserved. He's doing a good job. Again, I think it was our best effort, and that's the good news.

The rest of the story is we're going to have to play even better this weekend to have a chance to be successful playing against Wisconsin. We'll turn our attention towards them now. Our captains, same four guys seemed to be locked in with Jack Campbell, Sam LaPorta, Kaevon Merriweather and Riley Moss.

And then injury-wise, couple guys banged up Saturday, as expected. But I think everybody has got a chance to be here. Brody Brecht is back on the field today in practice, so he looks like he's ready to go. It's always good to pick somebody up along the way, so that's a good thing.

This is a rivalry game, has been for a long time. One thing that's been pretty consistent over the years, it's usually a really hard-fought game, very, very competitive against a really good program.

Been probably about 30 plus of these now, and it's been pretty much that way for most of the time other than maybe the late '80s. Wisconsin is a program that we've had a lot of respect and admiration for. When I got back here in '99 they were at the top of the league and then clinched that Rose Bowl our first year when they beat us in their last game of the season.

They've been good, really as far back as you can think. A lot of commonalities team to team. They're strong, very physical, very fundamentally sound, and typically play really smart football on top of it. Very opportunistic.

This year is really no exception from my vantage point. They've got a veteran quarterback, outstanding running back, and he's got a good backup behind him. The receivers and tight ends are doing a good job, and their offensive line is one of the better ones that we're going to face, if not the best one. It's going to be a challenge for our guys there.

Defensively they've played several different styles over the years but they've certainly settled into a 3-4 front and it's been really productive for them. They've been great defensively. Now for quite some time they got some new faces out there, but production seems to be the same, so they're really doing a good job there.

And then good on special teams like you'd think. They really work hard, play hard, and have a really outstanding punter, veteran guy who does a good job. So he'll be a factor in the game, as well, I'm sure.

Just all in all, got our hands full there. It's going to be good to be back in Kinnick certainly. Should be a great environment, good football day, so looking forward to that.

Our kid captain, is eight-year-old Tate Manahl of Cedar Falls. Tate experienced an accident when he was three years old I'm told, and underwent 30 surgeries. Great attitude, doing very, very well. It will be great to have he and his family here on Saturday.

And then the last thing, just want to pay my condolences to the Brashier family. Bill passed over the weekend. Bill is one of the most outstanding coaches I've ever worked with, but also one of the most outstanding people I've ever worked with, as well.

I got to spend nine years on the same staff as him. Just nothing but great respect for Bill as a man, as a person, as a coach. Really lucky to be around a guy like that during my career.

Condolences to the entire Brashier family there, and I'll throw it out for questions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News