ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk now ballot eligible for CFB HOF

May 27, 2010
And a sick thought crossed my mind. What if he resigned from the job effective Monday? I know he’d never do such a thing but could you blame him? How would you feel about it as a fan? The fanbase as a whole?

P. S. That roughing the QB call was BS.

@Franisdaman beat you to it, but I believe he crunched the numbers and as long as Kirk wins 2 out of the last 3 he will be eligible come season end and to maintain it he will need at least 8 wins a season until he retires.

Saying that, some other poster mentioned that there are coaches that have been inducted with a sub 60% win percentage, but when I asked who and what their percentages were I'm not sure I got a response.

@Franisdaman beat you to it, but I believe he crunched the numbers and as long as Kirk wins 2 out of the last 3 he will be eligible come season end and to maintain it he will need at least 8 wins a season until he retires.

Saying that, some other poster mentioned that there are coaches that have been inducted with a sub 60% win percentage, but when I asked who and what their percentages were I'm not sure I got a response.

The 60% winning percentage criteria is a fairly recent change. My guess is those coaches already inducted below that number were inducted prior to that change.

Not sure KF can maintain that pace going forward with the B10 expansion, even the last 2 of 3 this season may be a big ask. I think he deserves to get in regardless but the HOF is unlikely to make an exception now.

JHF was inducted in 2003 with a 56.4% winning percentage. He wouldn’t get in today.

Last edited:
Reactions: WestCoastHawkI
The 60% winning percentage criteria is a fairly recent change. My guess is those coaches already inducted below that number were inducted prior to that change.

Not sure KF can maintain that pace going forward with the B10 expansion, even the last 2 of 3 this season may be a big ask. I think he deserves to get in regardless but the HOF is unlikely to make an exception now.
It'd be really hard to see him not get in if he stays next year and becomes the all time winningest coach in B1G history. That just seems wrong to me.

In another year or two, he will have most wins in big ten history, no way they keep him out of the HOF even if he is not at 60%.

He very well might retire after the season. There are signs, although it could be that he is sad he will not be able to coach with his son anymore. This was always the issue with Brian being offensive coordinator. It would inevitably lead to a bad break up if things didn't go their way. Now, you probably have the worst situation possible where clearly the offensive performance was not acceptable but they keep winning games so a certain amount of "who gives a f**k, we're still winning?" comes into play.

But it's hard when it's your kids. I hope Kirk can get past it and come back, but who knows. It could also be the way the team plays now is what Kirk has always envisioned and he never had to fight with the offensive coordinator when it was his son making the calls. The defense has never been better under Kirk (obviously Phil deserves tons of credit for that, but Kirk and Phil may feel differently about it), and that's saying a lot because Iowa has had some damn good defenses in the past.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
In another year or two, he will have most wins in big ten history, no way they keep him out of the HOF even if he is not at 60%.
Just being able to keep his job for so long in today's environment is worthy of note.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT