ADVERTISEMENT

The GOP doesn’t want you to know the true number of undocumented immigrants

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Republicans (and to a somewhat lesser extent, Democrats) have given Americans the impression that we’ve been experiencing an “invasion” at our borders. But a new Pew Research Center report released Thursday not only shatters that myth but also reveals that the opposite is true. According to the report, the country’s unauthorized immigrant population peaked at 12.2 million in 2007, that is, when George W. Bush was president, and that population has been steadily decreasing since then. The Pew report found that the unauthorized immigrant population in the United States stood at 10.5 million in 2021, a 14% decrease from what it was in 2007.

The country’s unauthorized immigrant population peaked at 12.2 million in 2007, that is, when George W. Bush was president.
If those numbers shock you, then there’s a reason for it. Not a week goes by without somebody in the Republican Party promising mass deportations of unauthorized migrants. They can’t talk about the U.S. border with Mexico without falsely describing it as “open.”

Once proudly described as a nation of immigrants, the United States has become a nation of immigration enforcers thanks to Republicans making immigration a wedge issue that too many Democrats are afraid to challenge.

Republicans say that they don’t mind immigrants entering the country legally; they want to decrease the number coming in illegally. Well, that’s exactly what’s been happening.

Pew noted that at the same time the United States’ population of unauthorized immigrants dropped 14%, there was a 29% increase in what it calls the lawful immigrant population, and the number of naturalized U.S. citizens grew 49%. Of the 47 million foreign-born individuals living in the United States in 2021, the Pew report found, 23.1 million, slightly less than half, were naturalized citizens.

Those population estimates, according to Pew, “do not reflect changes that have occurred since apprehensions and expulsions of migrants along the U.S.-Mexico border started increasing in March 2021.”

Despite the data showing a steady decrease in the number of unauthorized migrants living in the U.S., Republicans continue to hysterically cast unauthorized migrants as a national security issue and argue that their presence changes the very substance of who and what America is.

But as the numbers from Pew show, to the extent that the demographics in this country are changing because of people coming to the U.S., it’s being driven by people coming here through official channels, not those illegally crossing our southern border. And it should be noted that even the demographics of those in the unauthorized migrant population are misunderstood. “Almost every region in the world had a notable increase in the number of unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. from 2007 to 2021,” the Pew report says. Behind Mexico and El Salvador, the report says, the country of origin with the next largest unauthorized immigrant population in the U.S. is India.

Changing demographics are not a reason to panic, but with former President Donald Trump as their leader, Republicans have chosen panic, and they have plenty of voters who support them in their overreaction.

Despite the Republican Party pushing us toward extremism, the U.S. still has mostly favorable views about immigration.
An October American Values Survey by the Public Religion Research Institute in partnership with the Brookings Institution found that 73% of Republicans believe that “American culture and way of life” has “mostly changed for the worse” since the 1950s. Only 34% of Democrats feel the same way. This is the same survey that found a third of Republicans “believe that true American patriots may have to resort to violence to save the country.” Such views align with a 2021 Pew poll showing clear partisan lines between conservative Republicans (38%) who see the decrease in a white majority to be bad for the country and liberal Democrats (32%) who see it as a good thing.

Despite the Republican Party pushing us toward extremism, the U.S. still has mostly favorable views about immigration, with a recent Gallup poll finding that “68% of Americans say immigration is good for the country today.” When asked about levels of immigration, 57% either want it to remain at or above its present levels, while 41% favor a decrease in our immigration levels. Constant news of a so-called “invasion” coming almost exclusively from Republican politicians and their right-wing allies may contribute to the views of that 41%.

Even though that percentage of Americans supporting a decrease in immigration levels is the highest it’s been since 2014, the majority of Americans are far more reasonable on this issue than extremist Republican politicians.

A majority of likely voters (56%) and Latino likely voters (73%) favor the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, according to a new poll from Data for Progress. September battleground state polling from immigrant rights group Fwd.us noted that 66% of likely voters and 72% of Latino voters favor the Temporary Protected Status program, which the Biden administration extended to Venezuelans who’ve lived here since July.

This week, hundreds rallied near the White House in hopes of getting the Biden administration to expand work permits not just for eligible Venezuelans, but also for those who have been here for years. Some of those who attended the rally were unauthorized immigrants who have long lived in this country and wanted their voices heard.

Distorting statistical reality for GOP political expediency is now the standard.
Rep. Jesús “Chuy” García, D-Ill., said at the rally, “We recognize that immigration reform has eluded Congress for 36 years.” He also said, “People want to continue to work in peace. They want to be able to go to work without fear of deportation or being apprehended. Those are the asks that we make of President Biden and this White House.”

The roughly 10.5 million undocumented people in the United States are not faceless, and there is enough political support out there to make sure they are seen as the human beings they are. Republicans might be excoriating them, which is dangerous and terrifying, especially for immigrant communities, but those same immigrants help form the fabric of American society. Distorting statistical reality for GOP political expediency is now the standard. But Thursday’s Pew report gives Democrats the opportunity to radically change the conversation

In 1996, the U.S. Congress passed a law prohibiting noncitizens from voting in federal elections, including elections for the U.S. House, U.S. Senate, and presidential elections. This does not apply to elections at the state and local levels.[1]

No state constitutions explicitly allowed noncitizens to vote in state or local elections. As of June 2023, seven states specified that noncitizens may not vote in state and local elections: Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Louisiana, North Dakota, and Ohio.[2]

The District of Columbia and municipalities in three states allowed noncitizens to vote in local elections as of June 2023: California, Maryland, and Vermont.

According to the Pew Research Center, there were over 25 million noncitizens living in the U.S. as of 2020. That included approximately 12 million permanent residents and 2 million temporary residents who were in the country with legal permission, as well as approximately 11 million immigrants who resided in the country without legal permission.
[3]

“What, you worry?”
No Idea Idk GIF by Mashed

In late December, DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, who has repeatedly maintained that the 'border is secure,' traveled to Mexico with Secretary of State Antony Blinken to beg for assistance in what officials called "preliminary" discussions with Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO), NBC News reports.
On Friday, AMLO laid out his conditions:

• US approval for a plan to deploy $20 billion to Latin American and Caribbean countries
  • Suspend the US blockade of Cuba
  • Remove all sanctions against Venezuela
  • Grant at least 10 million Hispanics living in the US the right to remain and work legally
These are tall demands, but the southern border could also tank Biden's chances of reelection - as the border saw a record 300,000 migrants processed by CBP in December alone.

One Biden official told NBC News that AMLO "has a very ambitious agenda," and that for some of his requests, the US Congress would need to act.

The two countries are expected to continue talks in Washington later this month. Mexico brings significant leverage to the negotiations, the U.S. and Mexican officials said. López Obrador’s administration would prefer that President Joe Biden win re-election in November, given Donald Trump’s rhetoric and actions during his time in office. But Biden is quickly running out of options to fix a problem that is driving down his poll numbers without increased support from Mexico, three U.S. officials told NBC News.

One Mexican official told NBC News that Mexico is willing to help with enforcement - which US negotiators want to include the capture and deportation of Guatemalans apprehended within the country.

Meanwhile on Capitol Hill, lawmakers continue to negotiate over border security measures after several asylum policies introduced by Biden's team in May failed to deter migration.

Remind me which side pushes Amnesty.
Do you think there would be a grant of amnesty and citizenship without the right to vote?

I think that’s unlikely.
I will not remind you of anything.
You buy products that recent immigrants help produce/ship/ enable.
If you do or don’t think they should be involved in, like Ellis Island folks were, a path to citizenship is on your heart.
Since our domestic birth rate does not equal the magic 2.1 per family, who would you prefer to produce your products/healthcare in your later years?
Brown people, black people, white people?

Last edited:
If you do or don’t think they should be involved in, like Ellis Island folks were, a path to citizenship is on your heart.
Since our domestic birth rate does not equal the magic 2.1 per family, who would you prefer to produce your products/healthcare in your later years?
No. They should just prove labor at low wages and pay their taxes, but not expect to participate in the political system. Working people love the GOP because that's who the GOP truly cares about! Why are they afraid that low-wage workers wouldn't vote for them?

Reactions: billanole
No. They should just prove labor at low wages and pay their taxes, but not expect to participate in the political system. Working people love the GOP because that's who the GOP truly cares about! Why are they afraid that low-wage workers wouldn't vote for them?

Strange that they focus their efforts on helping mega corporations and the super wealthy. Trickle down to the people they apparently truly care about.

As long as we both know, and we do.

Why do you think we need more than 330 million people in this country?

I do not consider unbridled growth of the human population always and everywhere a good thing. In my opinion we’re well past the desirable number of human souls consuming resources on this rock. Not interested in overcrowding this corner.

If you ask if me how we can increase production, my answer is same as the last 100 years: automation.

What skin color do you want to assign a robot?

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

I do not consider unbridled growth of the human population always and everywhere a good thing. In my opinion we’re well past the desirable number of human souls consuming resources on this rock. Not interested in overcrowding this corner.

If you ask if me how we can increase production, my answer is same as the last 100 years: automation.

What does this post have to do with immigration? You’re arguing overpopulation.

As billanole pointed out, American population is slowing shrinking absent immigration.
Can you figure out what it has to with immigration now, or should I come up with more clues?

You arguing in favor?

America relies heavily on immigration for jobs - if we turned off the spigot we’d have more jobs than workers. Even a full conversion to automation like you mentioned is something that would take years, and likely result in higher prices for consumers.

I’m not entirely sure where I fall on the global overpopulation argument. It’s been argued at various times in history that it would lead to catastrophe but it never materialized as solutions were found that compensated for the population increase.

Eventually I think there’s a point of no return but idk if we’re there yet.

America relies heavily on immigration for jobs - if we turned off the spigot we’d have more jobs than workers.

We’ll always have more jobs than workers.
Looking around my property there is a shitload of things that need to get done.
Know where I can import some cheaper, harder workers? Neighborhood kids only stretch so far.
The issue is always wages when it comes to which jobs will be filled. The number of jobs approaches infinity.

Maybe central Florida should be strawberry fields forever, with low income migrants picking berries and living in ‘migrant housing’.
Or maybe the farmer can sell the fields if it is no longer profitable to pump fertilizer into the rivers and Gulf from there.
I’m willing to consider there are other uses for the property. The market is what will find them.

We’ll always have more jobs than workers.
Looking around my property there is a shitload of things that need to get done.
Know where I can import some cheaper, harder workers? Neighborhood kids only stretch so far.
The issue is always wages when it comes to which jobs will be filled. The number of jobs approaches infinity.

Maybe central Florida should be strawberry fields forever, with low income migrants picking berries and living in ‘migrant housing’.
Or maybe the farmer can sell the fields if it is no longer profitable to pump fertilizer into the rivers and Gulf from there.
I’m willing to consider there are other uses for the property. The market is what will find them.

Sure, but the greater the gap between jobs and employment numbers, the greater the impact that likely has on other aspects of the economy due to the supply/production issues that would cause.

Cuz the market did find those workers…in immigrants.

Sure, but the greater the gap between jobs and employment numbers, the greater the impact that likely has on other aspects of the economy due to the supply/production issues that would cause.

There’s always production trade offs, because we all have approaching infinite things we want done.

Do you think Japan should drastically boost immigration, build towers ever higher and rooms smaller, or settle toward a less dense overall population in their borders?

I’m sure they could put a billion Africans to work in factories and supplant China as a manufacturing hub minus the corrupt police state, but can you think of reasons they’d rather not?

There’s always production trade offs, because we all have approaching infinite things we want done.

Do you think Japan should drastically boost immigration, build towers ever higher and rooms smaller, or settle toward a less dense overall population in their borders?

I’m sure they could put a billion Africans to work in factories and supplant China as a manufacturing hub minus the corrupt police state, but can you think of reasons they’d rather not?
Japan's population density is 840 people per square mile, the United States 91. Even if you exclude Alaska, it's less than 150. I don't think that this is a major issue at this point.

Except that the immigration numbers we have, even including undocumented workers, don’t represent adding a prohibitive number of people we couldn’t sustain.

In your Japan example, space, ability to feed them would place caps on those numbers.

I said nothing about the number of people “we need more than 330 million”, but rather as you noted, our numbers will shrink if only native births are allowed.
Today’s US economy needs more workers. Future “systems” that need less are in the future.
Program your bot to provide your desired health care needs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT