ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Kristofferson is gone

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Kris Kristofferson, a Rhodes scholar with a deft writing style and rough charisma who became a country music superstar and an A-list Hollywood actor, has died.

Kristofferson died at his home on Maui, Hawaii, on Saturday, family spokeswoman Ebie McFarland said in an email. He was 88.

McFarland said Kristofferson died peacefully, surrounded by his family. No cause was given. He was 88.

Starting in the late 1960s, the Brownsville, Texas native wrote such country and rock ‘n’ roll standards as “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down,” “Help Me Make it Through the Night,” “For the Good Times” and “Me and Bobby McGee.” Kristofferson was a singer himself, but many of his songs were best known as performed by others, whether Ray Price crooning “For the Good Times” or Janis Joplin belting out “Me and Bobby McGee.”

He starred opposite Ellen Burstyn in director Martin Scorsese’s 1974 film “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore,” starred opposite Barbra Streisand in the 1976 “A Star Is Born,” and acted alongside Wesley Snipes in Marvel’s “Blade” in 1998.

Put away your shallow, hypocritical and boring politics for a second
Oh, you're just so much better than all us political junkies/arguers. Really impressed with you.

And btw, Kristofferson was an out-spoken activist liberal, part of his core identity. So maybe you should save your attitude on this one for somebody else.

• Haha
Reactions: Honda Hawk
Good, but not great
Kris Kristofferson*

c6fed3a4-1a91-4ad4-9f75-c20f937fa215_text.gif

Oh, you're just so much better than all us political junkies/arguers. Really impressed with you.

And btw, Kristofferson was an out-spoken activist liberal, part of his core identity. So maybe you should save your attitude on this one for somebody else.

Noted. Thanks!

Reactions: pjhawk
Noted. Thanks!
Oh come on. You're supposed to come back with a crude insult and then I can't resist going back at you and the RIP thread for a great man gets hijacked.

Now that the thread's ruined, he wrote a lot of great songs performed by other artists, but here's one of his prettiest songs that was best and most appropriately sung/performed by Kris:

This thread reminds me I still want to see the Director's Cut of Heavens Gate.

Nobody who wrote Sunday Morning Coming Down and Me and Bobbie McGee - not to mention Oxford, US Ranger, and Gold Glove boxer - can be overrated.
Kristofferson is a f’ing legend. So glad I got to see him perform at Willie’s picnic 2015ish. He looked and sounded great that day. Also saw Willie and Merle sing Pancho and Lefty together for the last time later that night. Merle died a couple months later.

He drank too much, but he had a helluva life. Banged a lot of hot chicks, too.
He lived to be like, 88, so I think he had a good run. More evidence that shows it doesn't really matter how healthy you live but how long you live is just determined by genetics more than anything else. It can certainly affect your quality of life though.

My grandparents had a Highwaymen cassette tape that I listened to from time to time, I really liked that tape, had no idea he was part of that until I was older. He was a very talented man. RIP Highway Man!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT