ADVERTISEMENT

Kroger Exec Admits Price Gouging During Covid Inflation

NoleATL

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
Has to be a Pepsi but search wasn't helpful...

I shop at Kroger a lot and yeah, their prices have definitely gone up since Covid. For example, I used to be able to buy 5 of one of my most purchased items for $10. Now they are usually 3 for $14.

Raising a price higher than inflation is price gouging?
It’s an average. Some products will be higher, some lower.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Raising a price higher than inflation is price gouging?
It’s an average. Some products will be higher, some lower.
They also didn't over raise the price, they just didn't always lower it to match the bottom seller.

When "walmart" dropped its eggs 14c a dozen, Kroger kept it's pricing in line with osko.

If you think youbare going to price grocery stores into running on no profit you are going to find yourself having "let's eat crickets" conversations.

That is not price gouging. Every retailer prices individual items based on market conditions and their overall profit structure. To pull out one or even several items to say they raised prices higher than inflation is absolute nonsense. One could do that every day at any retailer in any economic cycle, this is nothing more that grandstanding to try and make a political point.

When Nike charges $180.00 for a pair of shoes they paid $15.00 to make, is that price gouging? Why haven't they been put before Congress? When Krogers sell eggs below their cost on any given day, what do you call that? Trust me, I was a retail executive for many years and we had products we lost money on and products we used to recoup a profit. The government and this writer has no business trying to make a point when they have no idea what they are talking about.

I shop at Kroger a lot and yeah, their prices have definitely gone up since Covid. For example, I used to be able to buy 5 of one of my most purchased items for $10. Now they are usually 3 for $14.
Typically we'll try to hit up super saver when we can bc they obv have the cheapest prices in town, but Bakers (kroger) is still much better value than Family Fare or Hy Vee imo.

Reactions: TheCainer
That is not price gouging. Every retailer prices individual items based on market conditions and their overall profit structure. To pull out one or even several items to say they raised prices higher than inflation is absolute nonsense. One could do that every day at any retailer in any economic cycle, this is nothing more that grandstanding to try and make a political point.

When Nike charges $180.00 for a pair of shoes they paid $15.00 to make, is that price gouging? Why haven't they been put before Congress? When Krogers sell eggs below their cost on any given day, what do you call that? Trust me, I was a retail executive for many years and we had products we lost money on and products we used to recoup a profit. The government and this writer has no business trying to make a point when they have no idea what they are talking about.
Since when did you need Nike to provide you with a food source, you are really stretching it now. Most of the below cost items are used to bring costumers into the business, and thats the only reason.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Yeah, that's economics dumbasses. Everything is a pendulum. You increase price because supply is running low, but you don't know how much. Then, you drop prices to move inventory. How much, you don't know. To compare it to the after-the-fact rate of inflation is ridiculous and meaningless. It is not gouging

Ringing up sales for teenage girls at an Old Navy doesn't make you a retail executive.

MAGAs on here have told us this doesn't happen...even though some of us have provided previous proof that it is. 100% many corporations took advantage of inflation to raise prices. Their record profits basically prove it.

Here's 2. Yet you clowns will blame Biden for this. Make sure, if you think you're right (You aren't.) that you never blame rising prices on the President. Please and thank you.

Since when did you need Nike to provide you with a food source, you are really stretching it now. Most of the below cost items are used to bring costumers into the business, and thats the only reason.
Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. Nike was just used an example but please try and justify your ignorance.

• Haha
Reactions: franklinman

I don't believe in hassling people with the Pepsi stupidity and this isn't really a Pepsi. The Kroger CEO previously admitted this on an earnings call in 2023.

Stick to dodge ball.
I've been waiting for a few years now for you to prove me wrong just one time. It hasn't happened. Dude, if you cared to try one can Google where these guys admit, UNDER OATH, that they used inflation as a guise to raise prices. You don't have to take my word for it...LOOK IT UP. Every time you're narrative gets blown up, and it happens a lot, you just ignore and stick to willful ignorance.

Here...watch and learn. I'm not wrong. This guy is UNDER OATH. You can apologize later.

I've been waiting for a few years now for you to prove me wrong just one time. It hasn't happened. Dude, if you cared to try one can Google where these guys admit, UNDER OATH, that they used inflation as a guise to raise prices. You don't have to take my word for it...LOOK IT UP. Every time you're narrative gets blown up, and it happens a lot, you just ignore and stick to willful ignorance.

Here...watch and learn. I'm not wrong. This guy is UNDER OATH. You can apologize later.

Now you believe someone that says elections are rigged? Interesting. And rawstory.com people. Lo ****ing l.

• Haha
MAGAs on here have told us this doesn't happen...even though some of us have provided previous proof that it is. 100% many corporations took advantage of inflation to raise prices. Their record profits basically prove it.
This is how you tell us you only read the title and not the article without actually telling us.

• Haha
The issue with this is not that Kroger raised their prices when costs went up and then kept them there to make more profit. That's the market working and a corporation doing what it can to maximize profits. The issue, as I see it, is republicans completely ignoring this as a major factor of inflation.

Isn’t price gouging only applicable when there is little to no competition. How many markets is Kroger in with no Wal Mart. No Aldi. No DG? No strong regional player?

The grocery business is hyper competitive. If they raised prices beyond acceptable level, then go elsewhere. I realize some areas have less competitors, but the vast majority or grocery dollars spent are in areas that are incredibly competitive

The issue with this is not that Kroger raised their prices when costs went up and then kept them there to make more profit. That's the market working and a corporation doing what it can to maximize profits. The issue, as I see it, is republicans completely ignoring this as a major factor of inflation.
That's it..

It's the Republicans fault.

Go sit in the corner Radio.

Isn’t price gouging only applicable when there is little to no competition. How many markets is Kroger in with no Wal Mart. No Aldi. No DG? No strong regional player?

The grocery business is hyper competitive. If they raised prices beyond acceptable level, then go elsewhere. I realize some areas have less competitors, but the vast majority or grocery dollars spent are in areas that are incredibly competitive
That's the major point Kroger and Albertsons are making in their bid to merge - that their competitors are Walmart, Amazon and Costco in addition to the traditional grocers. The suits against the merger focus solely on competition within the traditional grocers and this would create a huge company with too much power.

That's it..

It's the Republicans fault.

Go sit in the corner Radio.
WTF are you talking about? I never said it was the republicans fault, only that they refuse to acknowledge what a major, unsderlying issue corporate profits are toward inflation.

You rarely pass up a chance to demonstrate what a dumbass you are.

Walmart drops prices. Walmart is evil though so I can't shop there. Hey, other companies didn't drop their prices to match Walmart. And since I can't allow myself to buy stuff at evil Walmart, the others where I would rather shop are now price gouging.

I notice how no one on the left has ever called out Whole Foods for price gouging. Just all of the companies that are still way cheaper than Whole Foods. Weird.

WTF are you talking about? I never said it was the republicans fault, only that they refuse to acknowledge what a major, unsderlying issue corporate profits are toward inflation.

You rarely pass up a chance to demonstrate what a dumbass you are.
This you:

"The issue, as I see it, is republicans completely ignoring this as a major factor of inflation."

Grocery stores run on tiny margins.

Radio.

Not to complicate things,.. but to this point no one seems to have even have addressed the fact that in retail, not everything on the store shelf receives the same markup,.. Price gouging is a difficult charge to make.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT