ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to my wife

TarpHawk

HR All-American
Mar 18, 2007
I just got remarried last fall, so this was the first NCAA wrestling season Jo had to deal with up-close. She watched every round with me, tolerated loud outbursts of profanities ("Yes! F-- you motherf-- c--s--er!") and let me cut off the circulation in her arms during close matches. I demonstrated how DeSanto ties up, and she said "Ouch, too hard!" I said, "Yeah, exactly." Then I said "Okay, who am I now?" Then I circled around her for 6:30 taking no shots, and she correctly guessed Wilcke. She agrees with my assessment of recruiting ("Three guys from Penn State out-scored our whole team? Why doesn't Iowa get more guys like Nolf?") and she double high-fived me when Spencer Lee won. #truelove

LOL! That's hilarious!

My wife (also a Jo, btw) is not so tolerant. She loved watching my son wrestle, but outside of that she has no tolerance. That's why I went to Pittsburgh by myself - so I could be with other wrestling geeks who could appreciate my insights and observations! She didn't even want to hear all my reasons why Spencer should not have taken "down" against Mueller, or why I always cheer against leg riders. Can you imagine?

I just got remarried last fall, so this was the first NCAA wrestling season Jo had to deal with up-close. She watched every round with me, tolerated loud outbursts of profanities ("Yes! F-- you motherf-- c--s--er!") and let me cut off the circulation in her arms during close matches. I demonstrated how DeSanto ties up, and she said "Ouch, too hard!" I said, "Yeah, exactly." Then I said "Okay, who am I now?" Then I circled around her for 6:30 taking no shots, and she correctly guessed Wilcke. She agrees with my assessment of recruiting ("Three guys from Penn State out-scored our whole team? Why doesn't Iowa get more guys like Nolf?") and she double high-fived me when Spencer Lee won. #truelove
This is awesome. You got a good one...don’t screw it up by stalling on top and backing away every time she tries to score. Lol.

As awesome as that is, let's revisit this in about 7 years or so. If she even lets you watch it by then, you are doing well. Anything else more than that would be a bonus! Congrats on finding that special someone and hopefully it works out much better than the 1st time. Good luck and best wishes!

Also, hopefully next year the Hawks will truly be a contender and you can firmly, but endearingly lock her into being a Hawk wrestling fan! Good luck with that as well.

LOL! That's hilarious!

My wife (also a Jo, btw) is not so tolerant. She loved watching my son wrestle, but outside of that she has no tolerance. That's why I went to Pittsburgh by myself - so I could be with other wrestling geeks who could appreciate my insights and observations! She didn't even want to hear all my reasons why Spencer should not have taken "down" against Mueller, or why I always cheer against leg riders. Can you imagine?
My wife is named Jo also. Have they all been seen together at once? Same person? That’s Twilight Zone stuff right there.

Congratulations!
My wife hides her eyes behind her fingers asking if anyone is suffering yet. I answer, "Not yet, but maybe they will if we work harder." :O

Oh, forgot to add that we had KXIC on even though they were 30 seconds behind the matches. Jo said "Hey, he (Ironside) always says exactly what you said 30 seconds ago!"

My wife HATES it when i do this, especially during football. I’ll be yelling & screaming, & the ball hasnt even been snapped on TV!

My wife tells everyone she's a "wrestling widow". If there is wrestling on, she knows not to plan anything she needs me for, because I won't be there. I think I've told this before, but when she got pregnant with our son (my youngest, our only child together), I told her we weren't going to start trying until August because if that baby came in March, she was on her own for a coach. He came early, in late April.
She Sat through a lot of all-day tournaments with my sons' wrestling, but she can't do college tournaments. She went to Wisconsin once for the B1G Tournament and said never again. She goes to quite a few of the duals in CHA, but that's about the extent of her college wrestling fandom. I keep telling her someday he might be the only one that can go to the NCAAs or B1Gs with me and she might have to take a book. She says she might go on the trip, but hang out at the motel during the meets. We'll see. She did "pop in" to our "arena" at my mom's house some last week, so maybe we're making progress.

My wife (not a Jo) has yet to go to an NCAA with me but I think she will go to Minneapolis with me because she thinks she might have a shot at going to the Mall of America :rolleyes: She does go to all the Iowa matches with me and even went to the last one when I was at high school state...although I think it was really because it was Stoll's senior night. She does get caught up in the matches and her neck is sore afterwards from being tense. So we'll see.

Congrats Tarp and IAChief32.. You guys have keepers.
I must say my wife is very tolerant of my ongoing commentary during matches, or my being silent for a bit and suddenly blurting out WTF?! Best of all, she is a good sport when I grab her and demonstrate technique that was missed by a wrestler, or a technique that was successfully executed. She grew up in Iowa City, so she was exposed to some of the passion for the sport. When we got married, she was ok with it, but every year since, her knowledge and passion has increased, and she is now a very knowledgeable super fan. She even watches it when I'm not home. She has been Bronze certified for about 7 years, and has been in the corner many times for freestyle/greco matches, even going as far as telling some "wrestling dads" to pipe down, they're wrong with their interpretation of scoring or the tie breaker criteria. Wrestling is great, it's even better when your wife is as into it as you are.

My wife (not Jo I have a Jayne) stayed home held down the fort took care of my daughter and our new puppy while I spent 4 days to watch the NCAA’s. She also allows me to set up a wrestling mat in our living room and use her as a partner to show my daughter (who is a Wrestler) moves. So I get to hit my wife with a High crotch which is nice:)

Tarp, keep her, sounds like a good one! You will be able to tell for sure when if you have kids, the spare bedroom has mats covering the floors and the walls, and she helps clean it after workouts.

I think the “having kids” days are passed for our guy Tarp.

Reactions: HawkMD
My wife kept texting me at work first session. That was great. By the second and third I told her stop with the constant barrage of shit losses. Good girl though. The March meltdown was just too much.

My wife gave me our first Hawkeye season tickets for my birthday 28 years ago. She attended dual meets, Big Tens and Nationals with me for about 15 years but lost interest. However, she works hard behind the scenes to help Wrestling for Life. While many women would like to have 100+ pairs of shoes strewn around the house, the fact that they are ASICS, Adidas, Nike and Matman just isn't the same as if they were Jimmy Choo's or Gucci's.

I swear one time I said "Come up with it, come up with it, don't hang down there. Now pull him in! ALL the way in!"

And 30 seconds later Ironside said "Come up with it, come up with it, don't hang down there. Now pull him in! ALL the way in!"
Maybe you can see into the future. If so, don't tell them over on the "When will the Hawks win another championship" thread. They'll never let you go.

Reactions: TarpHawk
My wife gave me our first Hawkeye season tickets for my birthday 28 years ago. She attended dual meets, Big Tens and Nationals with me for about 15 years but lost interest. However, she works hard behind the scenes to help Wrestling for Life. While many women would like to have 100+ pairs of shoes strewn around the house, the fact that they are ASICS, Adidas, Nike and Matman just isn't the same as if they were Jimmy Choo's or Gucci's.
Are you tell'in me that Ferragamo doens't make wrestling shoes? Pshaw.

Reactions: butchinmi

That there’s what ya call a keeper!

I married an HS Basketball player that didn't have much to do with any wrestlers ever, she has since become a "mat mom", avid supporter of Hawkeyes, and get's on me to make sure we have our season tickets purchased as soon as they come available...and this season showed me that she's come completely to the dark side, while I worked at the state tournament, she took our 3 kids all by herself to watch the hawks thump Indiana, and had to text me results as she watch the dual...I am trying to better understand basketball for her...god help me, it's not taking yet, but I'm trying...

My wife (not a Jo) has yet to go to an NCAA with me but I think she will go to Minneapolis with me because she thinks she might have a shot at going to the Mall of America :rolleyes: She does go to all the Iowa matches with me and even went to the last one when I was at high school state...although I think it was really because it was Stoll's senior night. She does get caught up in the matches and her neck is sore afterwards from being tense. So we'll see.

Back in about 09 or 2010, whenever NCAA was here in St. Louis around that time I met a guy from N.J. who had been to about 26 straignt NCAA at that time. His wife always came to the Cities with him, but never to the arenas or matches. She always came to see the Towns and go shopping. He would occasionally skip part of a session and go with her shopping or out to eat. Saw him again last time NCAA was here in St. Louis and she still doing the same travel routine with him.

My wife and I were taking a summer trip up to Canada many years ago and came back thru Minn. about a week after The Mall Of America had opened. Wife didn't know about it. I suprised her and stopped and got a whole lot of Husband Points. :cool:

LOL! That's hilarious!

I was worried about her a month ago but I really like her now. Tell her she's okay in my book but.....she still married you:rolleyes:

Reactions: lionlover
Shout out to my wife as well! And I will now caller her Jo during Iowa wrestling meets. She has to deal with me being a POS on a daily basis and during all of wrestling season and especially Nationals she puts up with me being a bigger one. She does a great job of putting up with me during those times.
I also have to give a shout-out to my coworkers. I work in a bar kitchen and was pretty much worthless. I left the kitchen in the middle of our busiest time, without telling anyone, to watch both Lee and Young wrestle (I warned them before my shift I would at least be listening on my headphones). They were good sports about it and didn't get too mad at me, even though I was running the grill (should probably shout out to the customers too).

Shout out to my wife as well! And I will now caller her Jo during Iowa wrestling meets. She has to deal with me being a POS on a daily basis and during all of wrestling season and especially Nationals she puts up with me being a bigger one. She does a great job of putting up with me during those times.
I also have to give a shout-out to my coworkers. I work in a bar kitchen and was pretty much worthless. I left the kitchen in the middle of our busiest time, without telling anyone, to watch both Lee and Young wrestle (I warned them before my shift I would at least be listening on my headphones). They were good sports about it and didn't get too mad at me, even though I was running the grill (should probably shout out to the customers too).
I am not at all surprised that your job is flipping burgers.

I am not at all surprised that your job is flipping burgers.
Oh crap, is that not the response you were looking for?
You really hurt my feelings, that wasnt nice at all. I thought I had made all the right choices in life and that I was killing it. Maybe I should just kill myself.. .
Or:
F you, you POS. How dare you! You are a (insert something offensive)!

Oh crap, is that not the response you were looking for?
You really hurt my feelings, that wasnt nice at all. I thought I had made all the right choices in life and that I was killing it. Maybe I should just kill myself.. .
Or:
F you, you POS. How dare you! You are a (insert something offensive)!
Im now surprised you're even intelligent enough to flip burgers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT