ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to the DEFENSE

They were pretty impressive. Those WR's are pretty good and they were a non-factor in the 2nd half for the most part. We had 4 CBs out there at one point, Flemming, Jackson, King and Mabin.

Yes, definitely good job of making adjustments by Parker.

Parker Hesse did well filling in for Ott.

Mabin and King stepped up later in the game also.

I noticed the DL doing more stunts in the second half and it worked. We got some good pressure on Richardson including some big hits. He didn't look as comfortable once he starting getting grass stains on his jersey.

Now Beathard on the other hand, that guy is a gunslinger. One of the things I really appreciated about his game today, beyond the beautiful touch throws and athletic runs, was how smart he was about taking sacks and not just flinging the ball up in the air. Not only is he a playmaker but he is smart.

Agree about the D. They got pushed around in the first half and shut them down in the second. The LB's showed some great speed, too. Thought Niemann, in particular, made some great plays. Also impressed by Hesse. A little undersized, but showed a great motor. Was very impressed with how the secondary shut down their WR's in the second half. Johnson was his disruptive self up front, too, with some big plays in the backfield.

Also agree about CJ's football IQ. I expected more mental errors due to his aggressiveness. So far this season, we're getting the best of both worlds -- he's throwing it much better than Jake did last year, plus he's making better decisions.

Defense pitched a shut out in the 2nd half giving our team a chance to win. If ISU scores a TD it could have killed the morale.

I came away very impressed with Johnson. That guy is a playmaker and I'm glad he's only a junior. I also really like the play of Jewell. That guy is an athlete. You also have to give credit to Hesse for performing admirably given the shoes he had to fill.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Jaleel Johnson had a huge game for us yesterday. He did a really good job clogging up the middle and had a big sack in the game. Josh Jackson also impressed me today. He came in a lot in dime packages and made some plays. Also credit to Phil Parker for using dime packages more this year rather than having our linebackers in coverage.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT