ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of a Pass Rush

wowski18

Team MVP
Aug 16, 2010
I think last night showed against a good o-line our defense looks a little suspect in the pass rush and on the final drive Pitts qb carved us up. How much of an issue do you see this being going forward?

Both the lines could use some work, zero pressure on the Pitt QB and CJB took a beating, bet he is a sore on this morning.

Yup. Line play was not good.
CJ was taking a beating.
No pressure on the Pitt QB made it easy to complete throws to their superstar receiver. No secondary can hold up against a QB that has all day to throw.

They seriously need to throw in some more blitz packages and get rid of that standup thing the do. Zero push and good O lines have no problem. Effective blitz packages can make all the difference.

I think they were guarding against the big play and didn't want to blitz. In reality the D had a pretty good game against a tough offensive line.

Reactions: IaHawk44
We are really going to struggle in BIG play with that dline play. We are terrible in the set where we all stand up and try to, I guess, disguise our pass rush. We get no pressure and mediocre qb's are going to have big days against us again. Ott will help but he alone is not the answer some other scheme is what I'm looking for. Send everyone and make them beat us with quick passes that we seem to handle better. I almost started a thread of my own about this, decided to wait 24 hours, almost made it.

I think they were guarding against the big play and didn't want to blitz. In reality the D had a pretty good game against a tough offensive line.
Agree with this, I think there is more positives to take away from this game than negatives. There wasn't much pressure on the qb, but the defense did a damn fine job keeping scoring and total yardage down against a very capable offense.

Reactions: IaHawk44
We are really going to struggle in BIG play with that dline play. We are terrible in the set where we all stand up and try to, I guess, disguise our pass rush. We get no pressure and mediocre qb's are going to have big days against us again. Ott will help but he alone is not the answer some other scheme is what I'm looking for. Send everyone and make them beat us with quick passes that we seem to handle better. I almost started a thread of my own about this, decided to wait 24 hours, almost made it.

Cool story brah

Yup. Line play was not good.
CJ was taking a beating.
No pressure on the Pitt QB made it easy to complete throws to their superstar receiver. No secondary can hold up against a QB that has all day to throw.
CJ took a beating because they kept sending more guys than we had blockers. The O-line had it's problems, but we moved the ball decent for the entire game. Canzeri getting the ball instead of Daniels made them look a LOT better.

We all know Iowa blitzes 4 times a year. The trick for the opposition is to figure out when those 4 times are going to be............;)

I don't recall the stats on the amount of play the 2 QB's for Pitt had coming into the contest, but I don't think either are "wiley veterans". I wanted Parker to press the issue to see how THEY responded to some constant pressure. Unfortunately we never got to see how that would have ended.

At the end of the day, we OUTPLAYED Pitt on both sides of the ball and won the game. They had a Special Teams touchdown and a 1 play "drive" after a turnover. IOWA KICKED PITT'S ASS IN THIS GAME! The score does not reflect how well Iowa played in all 3 phases of Football. And I say that thinking Pitt looks like a pretty good team to me. They're going to win plenty of games in the ACC.

I have been very pleased with the 4th quarter play of this group of guys, and the change in direction from the Coaching Staff on Offense. The Defense has been relatively solid. The Linebackers aren't "standing out" as terrible, as they were ALL of last year. No one is routinely being "torched" for all the world to see (think UNI and Alston). Those are good things. We are still a work in progress, but we're much better overall than I thought we would be. The receivers are catching the ball with impunity when it's thrown to them. Collective effort sprinkled in with the "stars" playing like "stars", i.e. Desmond King and CJ Beathard, and Jordan Canzeri.

We aren't going to be challenging for a spot in the Playoff anytime soon, but we don't appear to suck, which is a relief to me if nothing else, cause we've been there in the not too distant past.

If we had blitzed maybe they would have beat it like CJ did their blitz. They rarely got pressure with just 4 DL either. It was their blitzing that did

Pitt hardly ever played with deep safeties.. They brought em up close and dared us to throw over them. There will be better days, this win proved to me that you can't win playing that way. If the refs had done their job we would have won by 30

If we had blitzed maybe they would have beat it like CJ did their blitz. They rarely got pressure with just 4 DL either. It was their blitzing that did

On Pitts final drive we did blitz 3 times and got burned all 3 times. Ironically the sack we had on that drive we only rushed 3.

I don't think the remaining opponents are going to be much if any better than Pitt. Maybe Wisconsin but that's about it.

Pitt will destroy ACC teams if they bring that same thug defense they played last night. There aren't many QBs who are going to survive that mugging. Pitt should dominate the ACC with that D

And Solehawk is exactly right. Pitt was fortunate to be in the game. Two consecutive plays turned what would have been a 24-10 Iowa lead into a 17-17 tie and set up the finish. When CJ had to release the ball a count early and overthrew a wide open Tevaun Smith for a sure TD, and on the ensuing punt, Pitt blocks it and returns it for a TD. That 14-point swing changed the game. Iowa was on the edge of blowing Pitt out, an interesting fact when you realize it.

Pitt will destroy ACC teams if they bring that same thug defense they played last night. There aren't many QBs who are going to survive that mugging. Pitt should dominate the ACC with that D

And Solehawk is exactly right. Pitt was fortunate to be in the game. Two consecutive plays turned what would have been a 24-10 Iowa lead into a 17-17 tie and set up the finish. When CJ had to release the ball a count early and overthrew a wide open Tevaun Smith for a sure TD, and on the ensuing punt, Pitt blocks it and returns it for a TD. That 14-point swing changed the game. Iowa was on the edge of blowing Pitt out, an interesting fact when you realize it.

Spot on. He completes that pass and Pitt would have been in serious trouble.

Pitt will destroy ACC teams if they bring that same thug defense they played last night. There aren't many QBs who are going to survive that mugging. Pitt should dominate the ACC with that D.

I know Iowa has a good defense this year. I also think Pitt has a very good defense. I'm not 100% sure about which on is better, but I loved the way Pitt's defense played last night. I know some fans think they were dirty, and I realize the referee missed a couple of helmet shots. That said, I loved the intensity of their defense. I *MIGHT* trade our defense for theirs, but obviously that's not even a realistic discussion... and few here would admit to agreeing with me anyway.

CJ took a beating because they kept sending more guys than we had blockers. The O-line had it's problems, but we moved the ball decent for the entire game. Canzeri getting the ball instead of Daniels made them look a LOT better.

We all know Iowa blitzes 4 times a year. The trick for the opposition is to figure out when those 4 times are going to be............;)

I don't recall the stats on the amount of play the 2 QB's for Pitt had coming into the contest, but I don't think either are "wiley veterans". I wanted Parker to press the issue to see how THEY responded to some constant pressure. Unfortunately we never got to see how that would have ended.

At the end of the day, we OUTPLAYED Pitt on both sides of the ball and won the game. They had a Special Teams touchdown and a 1 play "drive" after a turnover. IOWA KICKED PITT'S ASS IN THIS GAME! The score does not reflect how well Iowa played in all 3 phases of Football. And I say that thinking Pitt looks like a pretty good team to me. They're going to win plenty of games in the ACC.

I have been very pleased with the 4th quarter play of this group of guys, and the change in direction from the Coaching Staff on Offense. The Defense has been relatively solid. The Linebackers aren't "standing out" as terrible, as they were ALL of last year. No one is routinely being "torched" for all the world to see (think UNI and Alston). Those are good things. We are still a work in progress, but we're much better overall than I thought we would be. The receivers are catching the ball with impunity when it's thrown to them. Collective effort sprinkled in with the "stars" playing like "stars", i.e. Desmond King and CJ Beathard, and Jordan Canzeri.

We aren't going to be challenging for a spot in the Playoff anytime soon, but we don't appear to suck, which is a relief to me if nothing else, cause we've been there in the not too distant past.
We blitzed quite a bit against Iowa State last week.

We won pretty much every statistical category including Sack, albeit they clearly had more hurries and overall pressure with the blitzing.

Team Stats

Pitt Iowa
First Downs
15 22
Total Yards 282 363
Turnovers 2 1
First Downs 15 22
Passes for First 12 11
Rushes for First 3 9
Penalties for First 0 2
Third Down Efficiency 4-13 7-15
Fourth Down Efficiency 2-3 0-0
Total Yards 282 363
Total Plays 58 69
Avg Gain Per Play 4.9 5.3
Net Yards Rushing 55 105
Rushes 27 29
Yards Per Rush 2.0 3.6
Net Yards Passing 227 258
Comp-Att 21-31 27-40
Yards Per Pass 7.3 6.5
Times Sacked 2 1
Yds Lost To Sacks 10 11
Interceptions 2 1
Punts 4 5
Punt Average 39.3 46.2
Penalties 3 5
Penalty Yards 35 50
Fumbles 0 0
Fumbles Lost 0 0

A few comments:

1. Iowa only played 5 d-linemen through the entire game! The 5th guy was Ott and he only came in during obvious passing situations - as a pass-rusher.

2. On tape, Pitt had shown that they were pretty dedicated to running the ball. Prior to the Hawk game, they had 89 rushing attempts to 43 pass attempts. Thus, Iowa must have placed a significant emphasis on gap control in their prep for Pitt. The DL was placing a lot of emphasis on disciplined play. The trade-off was a less intense pass-rush in exchange for shutting down the Pitt running game.

3. Furthermore, they had to be prepped for facing Voytik ... and he's dangerous with his feet. Thus, they were also likely prepped to be very controlled in how they collapsed the pocket.

4. On tape, Pitt had also shown a tendency to take a lot of shots down-field. Pitt hasn't had a lot of long-drives this season. Thus, Iowa was presumably trying to prevent the big-play and force everything in front of them OR towards where they had help.

5. With Ott out - our starting DL is still comprised of three guys who are just in their first year of getting starts! They didn't muster the most impressive of pass-rushes - and I'm sure that they'll continue to work on it. They're going to improve! They're going to learn from their mistakes! Look at who got the 2 sacks ... Nate Meier! He's the one guy who has prior experience as a regular starter.

At the end of the day, I think that it is obvious that they played GREAT against the run. Against a Pitt team that was going to be a bit of an unknown in the passing game - it's impressive that they held Pitt to 55 rushing yards! That number is all the more impressive given that the number WASN'T really biased much by the subtracted sack yardage.

Also, the Pitt O-linemen deserve credit for blocking our DL.

Anyhow, knowing that the group is going to improve through each and every game ... I'm not really worried about a pass-rush yet.

Iowa didn't get much pressure from the front four but they did have two sacks but they have the best WR in the country. The QB didn't carve them up as you say OP. They had one scoring drive that resulted in a TD. The other TDs came off of a blocked punt and a INT that gave them great field position. Oh and Iowa was without it's best pass rusher. They also rarely called a blitz in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT