ADVERTISEMENT

Ladji's Ceiling?

ObeseMuffins

HB MVP
Jan 7, 2007
What is his ceiling? It's difficult to put a comp on him. He's often out of position, fouling too much. It is very obvious he is raw with his basketball skills but sometimes he just suprises you. If he makes a jump next year with our returning core - watch out.

I like him a lot. Has the height and strength to bang down low on both O and D. Has shown finesse with turnaround jumpers. Has the ability to hit the 3. He’s only a freshmen, so I’m banking on all of those areas improving.

What I liked most was I watched him live bang down low vs Edey/Purdue and he didn’t back down and inch.

I really like the idea of Dembele and Tadjo as a 1-2 punch at the 4 position next season. Factoring in all factors (offense, defense, rebounding, etc.), I think we can get more out of them next year than we've gotten out of Krikke this year.

I really like the idea of Dembele and Tadjo as a 1-2 punch at the 4 position next season. Factoring in all factors (offense, defense, rebounding, etc.), I think we can get more out of them next year than we've gotten out of Krikke this year.
Interesting that you mention Tadjo over Koch. Are you thinking Koch is a 3?

I think he is going to be a really good pick and pop type of guy and if his ball handling gets better, he can be really good.

Right, he definitely has the confidence to shoot. he needs to add that driving ability - if he wants to start at the 4 next season.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Right, he definitely has the confidence to shoot. he needs to add that driving ability - if he wants to start at the 4 next season.
That would be ideal but not necessary. If he can hit the 3 then he can leave Freeman to do his thing on the inside. Offensively, they compliment each other. Defensively and rebounding, they are both plus players. I don't remember Iowa having ever two tall physically gifted players like Dembele and Freeman together.

How tall is he exactly? I am not sure I have seen him throw one down. And, as athletic as people say he is...I would expect him to do that.

I do like some of his game. And yes, it is so important to remember he is a frosh.

That would be ideal but not necessary. If he can hit the 3 then he can leave Freeman to do his thing on the inside. Offensively, they compliment each other. Defensively and rebounding, they are both plus players. I don't remember Iowa having ever two tall physically gifted players like Dembele and Freeman together.
Steve Waite and Steve Krafsisen both 6-11. 😎

Ceiling....Gab Olaseni

Floor.....Dom Uhl
Dom Uhl was 1-good game in a 4 year career type guy and total spaz around the basket. I would say his floor is higher than Dom Uhl. Olasani was a very good defensive player but he never really scored a lot with post moves and didn't have a 3pt shot. I don't think Fran has ever had a guy like Dimbele. Dimbele thick, muscular body type kind of matches the guys MSU get that all of a sudden as Jr/Sr they are studs.

Dom Uhl was 1-good game in a 4 year career type guy and total spaz around the basket. I would say his floor is higher than Dom Uhl. Olasani was a very good defensive player but he never really scored a lot with post moves and didn't have a 3pt shot. I don't think Fran has ever had a guy like Dimbele. Dimbele thick, muscular body type kind of matches the guys MSU get that all of a sudden as Jr/Sr they are studs.
IMO he is already better than Dom Uhl.

Eddie Horton type

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Eddie Horton type
In terms of body type, that’s one of the guys I was thinking of. Relatively skinny upper body but thicker through the middle. Although I think Horton was only about 225 lbs as a freshman while Dembele is already 250. If you put Reggie Evans’ lower body on Horton’s upper body, you probably have something similar to Dembele’s frame.

We don't know what Dembeles ceiling even could be at this point.

He likes to shoot 3s so a lot of it will depend on how good he actually is at that once he gets regular minutes.

Defensively he has good lateral mobility and agility to switch on to guards but also plenty of physicality to defend on the block, that's a great combo to build on.

Reactions: hawkirugged17

I know we like to complain around here, but how far we've come since guys like this.

I have generally not bought into the Ladji hype this season. He has the highest turnover % on the team, has a poor shooting %, his rebounding rates are worse than Payton Sandfort’s, and his block % is lower than Filip Rebraca who wasn’t exactly a rim protector either.

But he has played very well the last 5 games. He seems to be understanding his offensive role better, and he’s engaged and communicative on defense.

Struggling to think of a great comparison for him. Maybe Jarryd Cole with an outside jumper?

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT