ADVERTISEMENT

Last night is another reason I get frustrated

just like wondergrape ignores the entire 90's under Dr. Tom, Carver was loud and rocking, SA and Lick ruined it and now Fran is battling that apathy of the last "15" years NOT 25 wondergrape.

right now the biggest problem is they need to reseat the older fans that want to do nothing but sit, to the top of the arena, there is not a bad seat in Carver, what they should do is remove every 3rd row of stairs and put in seats to get rid of that empty look, it will increase the attendance #'s by maybe 2500 and the could lower the ticket prices and still make the same money off of ticket sales but increase concession income by 10%.

increasing the seating might just also put Carver in position to host a NCAA 1st round game,, after Mason leaves the 1st thing the new President has to do is do away with the restriction on the tail gates surrounding Kinnick and do away with that no sign rule Let the students and kids bring their signs and have fun again,

Mason has been a total killjoy toward Athletic's

Originally posted by Curt Furence:
Originally posted by hawkiniowacity:
Did you watch the first half?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I just personally have a hard time booing college kids. If the student section does, sure. But grown adults booing college kids isn't for me.

Now, booing your head coach for taking a knee with a minute left and 2 timeouts... Boo away.

Or boo professionals for all you want.
College athletes are young men, not "kids".

These are kids:

kids_ph3.jpg

I just disagree with the premise that it's ok to boo pros but not college athletes.. It's OK to boo an 18 year old Lebron James just because he's being paid, although he's still young enough to be a freshman in college? If they start paying college athletes, then is it OK to boo? That logic doesn't work for me. If you want to point to "maturity", then I'll wager there's lots of immaturity in the NBA or NFL.

I personally don't choose to boo anyone. I don't think it's any more or less acceptable just because someone is being paid, whether it's coaches or pro athletes. Not like our own fans haven't booed Hawkeye players in the past, anyway.

Now booing the refs.. That's a different ball of wax. It's almost a part of the game & atmosphere, booing bad calls you don't like, etc.

Back to the theme of the thread - I agree that CHA is pretty lame compared to Hilton, but Kinnick seems to rock quite a bit, so I think a lot of it has to do with recent success or lack thereof.
This post was edited on 3/3 1:39 PM by TampaHawkfan

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

right now the biggest problem is they need to reseat the older fans that want to do nothing but sit, to the top of the arena
If you were a big donor who has purchased season tickets since Carver opened, would you like to be moved to the top of the arena?

I would bet $$$ not very many (if any) people on this board who suggest moving the "blue hairs" sit in the same areas they do. It is easy to pass judgement and make suggestions that affect other people....but those same folks who are wanting the blue hairs moved would kick and scream if they were forcibly moved from their prime seats to the top of Carver.

Remember....those "blue hairs" were giving money and going to the games during the Alford and Lick years while the complainers were sitting at home.

This post was edited on 3/3 2:04 PM by 83Hawk

Originally posted by TampaHawkfan:

Back to the theme of the thread - I agree that CHA is pretty lame compared to Hilton, but Kinnick seems to rock quite a bit, so I think a lot of it has to do with recent success or lack thereof.
I think people have identified lots of various reasons that contribute to Hilton having a better atmosphere than Carver. Better arena design, students closer, etc. But ultimately I think it comes down to culture. I went to both schools, and Iowa is definitely a football school, whereas Iowa State is a basketball school. Probably due to its historical lack of success in football, students at Iowa State learn to love Cyclone basketball as freshmen. Its just passed down from class to class. I wasn't really a big college basketball fan in high school, but by my sophomore year at Iowa State I was a diehard ISU basketball fan. Learning to love Cyclone basketball and Hilton is as much a part of going to Iowa State as any non-academic aspect of college can be. And its hard to just create a culture like that. Even if Iowa got its own version of Johnny Orr, with Iowa's emphasis and tradition in football, its unlikely that you'd get a basketball culture like ISU has. Its not that there is only room for one sport in a college fanbase's heart, but ultimately it does seem like one sport will be loved above all else. At Iowa, its football. At Iowa State, its basketball. At least, that's my opinion.

This post was edited on 3/3 2:01 PM by WhiteSoxClone

Originally posted by Curt Furence:
Originally posted by hawkiniowacity:
Did you watch the first half?
I just personally have a hard time booing college kids. If the student section does, sure. But grown adults booing college kids isn't for me.

Now, booing your head coach for taking a knee with a minute left and 2 timeouts... Boo away.

Or boo professionals for all you want.
College athletes are young men, not "kids".

These are kids:

ec

I just disagree with the premise that it's ok to boo pros but not college athletes.. It's OK to boo an 18 year old Lebron James just because he's being paid, although he's still young enough to be a freshman in college? If they start paying college athletes, then is it OK to boo? That logic doesn't work for me. If you want to point to "maturity", then I'll wager there's lots of immaturity in the NBA or NFL.

I personally don't choose to boo anyone. I don't think it's any more or less acceptable just because someone is being paid, whether it's coaches or pro athletes. Not like our own fans haven't booed Hawkeye players in the past, anyway.

Now booing the refs.. That's a different ball of wax. It's almost a part of the game & atmosphere, booing bad calls you don't like, etc.

I guess the highlighted part is more my choice as well. I don't boo players at any level. I just find it funny to see grown men booing college athletes. Officials... well they all suck so boo away (only partly kidding)

I didn't start this because of an Iowa State win, I just get annoyed watching college basketball all over the nation put on great events and watch Iowa asleep at the wheel

Originally posted by WhiteSoxClone:

I think people have identified lots of various reasons that contribute to Hilton having a better atmosphere than Carver. Better arena design, students closer, etc. But ultimately I think it comes down to culture. I went to both schools, and Iowa is definitely a football school, whereas Iowa State is a basketball school. Probably due to its historical lack of success in football, students at Iowa State learn to love Cyclone basketball as freshmen. Its just passed down from class to class. I wasn't really a big college basketball fan in high school, but by my sophomore year at Iowa State I was a diehard ISU basketball fan. Learning to love Cyclone basketball and Hilton is as much a part of going to Iowa State as any non-academic aspect of college can be. And its hard to just create a culture like that. Even if Iowa got its own version of Johnny Orr, with Iowa's emphasis and tradition in football, its unlikely that you'd get a basketball culture like ISU has. Its not that there is only room for one sport in a college fanbase's heart, but ultimately it does seem like one sport will be loved above all else. At Iowa, its football. At Iowa State, its basketball. At least, that's my opinion.

You make some good points. I have had season tickets at both venues and was a student at Iowa City when the Hawks played in the Fieldhouse. That was a very noisy place, but the structure had a lot to do with that.

A lot of people get tired of hearing about "Hilton Magic." I got tired of hearing it for about 15-20 years because it wasn't appropriate. And it isn't really appropriate now, but it's closer. It started because Johnny's teams could beat ANYBODY in Hilton, and NOBODY anywhere else. It also involved the style of play. There was no "Hilton Magic" under Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy, for instance, partly because they won on the road and partly because of the style of the play.

The biggest difference between the crowds over the years, I think, is that ISU fans really consider themselves part of the team and really think they are needed.

That's never been the case at CHA, in part because when it was created, Lute had very good teams.

Mike Hlas of The Gazette had a line 20 or more years ago that pretty much nailed the difference then, and may not be so far off base now. He said Cyclone fans to to rattle their opponent and Hawkeye fans go to rattle their jewelry.

You make some good points. I have had season tickets at both venues and was a student at Iowa City when the Hawks played in the Fieldhouse. That was a very noisy place, but the structure had a lot to do with that.

A lot of people get tired of hearing about "Hilton Magic." I got tired of hearing it for about 15-20 years because it wasn't appropriate. And it isn't really appropriate now, but it's closer. It started because Johnny's teams could beat ANYBODY in Hilton, and NOBODY anywhere else. It also involved the style of play. There was no "Hilton Magic" under Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy, for instance, partly because they won on the road and partly because of the style of the play.

The biggest difference between the crowds over the years, I think, is that ISU fans really consider themselves part of the team and really think they are needed.

That's never been the case at CHA, in part because when it was created, Lute had very good teams.

Mike Hlas of The Gazette had a line 20 or more years ago that pretty much nailed the difference then, and may not be so far off base now. He said Cyclone fans to to rattle their opponent and Hawkeye fans go to rattle their jewelry.

CHA must have music...

Linkin Park - New Divide

Alesso - Heroes (We could be)

If those don't get your blood flowing a bit, well, go home and die...or at least nap a bit.

Oh well, Hawkers. Sure you couldn't wait to celebrate Clones' demise vs OU. Even if they would have lost, it would have been to another rated team. How many rated teams have Hawks played since January? (One) Clones have played 6 rated teams and play one or more every week. Just give a little credit to substantiate what little integrity you have left. Iowa's last 5 opponents had the following steaks going when Iowa played them: 0-10, 0-9, 0-4, 0-2, 0-4. That's 0-29 for you non-math majors. Indiana lost their last game, as well, so 0-30. If you want to celebrate these hollow victories, fine. But do it without downgrading a team that is clearly better, plays in a conference with 50% of its teams rated, and clearly dominated the Hawks when they played. And, no, Iowa is not now better than ISU. Who would they even beat in the Big 12? Already lost to Texas and ISU by double digits, and Texas is in lower half of Big 12. Get just a little bit real. Quit whining and hallucinating.
Go Hawks!, But Go Clones, too!

Izzy Knows Best

Oh well, Hawkers. Sure you couldn't wait to celebrate Clones' demise vs OU. Even if they would have lost, it would have been to another rated team. How many rated teams have Hawks played since January? (One) Clones have played 6 rated teams and play one or more every week. Just give a little credit to substantiate what little integrity you have left. Iowa's last 5 opponents had the following steaks going when Iowa played them: 0-10, 0-9, 0-4, 0-2, 0-4. That's 0-29 for you non-math majors. Indiana lost their last game, as well, so 0-30. If you want to celebrate these hollow victories, fine. But do it without downgrading a team that is clearly better, plays in a conference with 50% of its teams rated, and clearly dominated the Hawks when they played. And, no, Iowa is not now better than ISU. Who would they even beat in the Big 12? Already lost to Texas and ISU by double digits, and Texas is in lower half of Big 12. Get just a little bit real. Quit whining and hallucinating.

Izzy Knows Best

"I got tired of hearing it for about 15-20 years because it wasn't appropriate. And it isn't really appropriate now, but it's closer."

I have been saying that for years, but got yelled at a lot, because the more "current" fanbase wanted to be part of it...but it isn't the same. But it's been redefined.

Originally posted by disgrig:

Izzy Knows Best
Go away clown sub-human d@@k licker.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by daniel22:
When you see an environment like what was on display at Hilton and wonder why can't that happen at CHA. I just wonder if the administration is content with people just buying tickets and their work ends there.

The choice of songs at CHA that make me scratch my head so far:

Mambo #5
YMCA
This crap again? I am enjoying the Hawks and Carver. If you want to make the atmosphere better, start by actually going to the games and yell your ass off. Stop whining.

Originally posted by Guidotheguide:

Izzy Knows Best
laugh.r191677.gif

Izzy Knows Best
laugh.r191677.gif
Homophobe.

Originally posted by Ladell-hawk:
When you see an environment like what was on display at Hilton and wonder why can't that happen at CHA. I just wonder if the administration is content with people just buying tickets and their work ends there.

Mambo #5
YMCA
This crap again? I am enjoying the Hawks and Carver. If you want to make the atmosphere better, start by actually going to the games and yell your ass off. Stop whining.
Exactly.

Originally posted by Ladell-hawk:

Mambo #5

YMCA

Ladell. I like you.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

just like wondergrape ignores the entire 90's under Dr. Tom, Carver was loud and rocking, SA and Lick ruined it and now Fran is battling that apathy of the last "15" years NOT 25 wondergrape.

right now the biggest problem is they need to reseat the older fans that want to do nothing but sit, to the top of the arena, there is not a bad seat in Carver, what they should do is remove every 3rd row of stairs and put in seats to get rid of that empty look, it will increase the attendance #'s by maybe 2500 and the could lower the ticket prices and still make the same money off of ticket sales but increase concession income by 10%.

increasing the seating might just also put Carver in position to host a NCAA 1st round game,, after Mason leaves the 1st thing the new President has to do is do away with the restriction on the tail gates surrounding Kinnick and do away with that no sign rule Let the students and kids bring their signs and have fun again,

Mason has been a total killjoy toward Athletic's
We never had a three year run in the 90s like ISU is having now. You're right, though, Carver was rocking then and easily would again if we are competing for conference championships. I hope we do.

Izzy Knows Best
laugh.r191677.gif
Homophobe.

Izzy Knows Best
laugh.r191677.gif
Homophobe.

We were really good in the 80s and even then CHA didn't hold water against Hilton. They have always had better fans when it comes to basketball. It's got nothing to do with the music.

I went to both arenas a lot in the mid to late 80s and Iowa State was always rocking while the fans in Iowa treated it like a wine and cheese festival.

Originally posted by heat_dawg:

We were really good in the 80s and even then CHA didn't hold water against Hilton. They have always had better fans when it comes to basketball. It's got nothing to do with the music.

I went to both arenas a lot in the mid to late 80s and Iowa State was always rocking while the fans in Iowa treated it like a wine and cheese festival.
this is a blatant lie. come on man. there are many posters here that attended games regularly in the 80's,myself included. you are completely full of shit.

Two reasons why Carver is so-so when it comes to loudness:

Acoustics
Winning

Hilton's structure is just naturally louder based on acoustics. It's not because their 15,000 fans can yell louder than our 15,000 fans. Hilton carries the sound better than Carver ... I went to ISU in the 90s and was a sports writer for the newspaper. I remember a former professor of mine talking about Hilton and how loud it gets ... He said it's the acoustics ... It's how it was designed ...

Winning: Well, same with the football program and Kinnick. When Iowa's was winning in football Kinnick was rocking and Herbstreit said during one broadcast: "When Iowa is winning, this is one of the toughest places to play in all of America." Now look at Kinnick!? Not very intimidating ... That energy from the early to mid 2000s is gone.

We have not had a consistent winning basketball program since Dr. Tom. Alford generated early excitement but that quickly faded away. When Lick took over it became more like a library ... Slowly, Carver has come back a bit but still, we are an inconsistent program and have not gotten over the hump of winning and staying ranked. Win .. Fans show up ... Fans cheer ...

ISU fans are no different than Iowa fans. When ISU sucked under the McDermott Hilton could be just as quiet as Carver ... Iowa needs to win ... Fans want to be excited. They want to feel like you are playing for something ...

Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:

Originally posted by heat_dawg:

this is a blatant lie. come on man. there are many posters here that attended games regularly in the 80's,myself included. you are completely full of shit.
If you take off the blinders it isnt' a blatant lie. I was an Iowa fan but most of my friends went to Iowa State. So I went to both and CHA was never as loud or as electric as Hilton. Kinnick was always way more electric and loud that them in football but when it came to basketball it wasn't even close.

You were probably in CHA more than me but I was there for some big games. In 1989 we were playing the Flying Illini and I got escorted out becasue I kept standing up when the old folks in the matching sweaters didn't feel we needed to stand up and cheer. I'm not talking about constant standing which I think for a game like that is a good thing, I mean everytime something big happened I would stand up and most of the lower section would tell others to sit down. It was a morgue compared to when Iowa State played Danny Manning and Kansas.

How many times during your going to games did you go to HIlton. It wasn't even a contest. Were you in HIlton for Lafester Rhoades 54 point game. That was insane. I had never seen CHA like that.

Izzy Knows Best
And this is what we call little brother syndrome. From your post I can tell that you sit around and look at stats for hours about Iowa and just hope for the moment to put an Iowa fan on blast. Also, I love how ISU fans always toot the Big 12 horn. How did that work during bowl season? I thought you guys said it was the best football conference...Also, Big 12 hoops has a lot to prove in this year's tournament...you know since only ONE Big 12 team made it to the sweet 16 last year. I'm not worried about the Big Ten. We usually send multiple teams to the Elite Eight and most years send someone to the Final Four. B12 almost always has to rely on Kansas to do all of that, but they choke half of the time.

This post was edited on 3/6 6:18 PM by JerNHawk

Good post JerNHawk - If Iowa has a good year and again starts consistently going to the Big Dance, I could care less if Carver is not as consistently loud as Hilton. Just win and the noise level will be fine in Carver. Hilton is still in Ames, which is no comparison to Iowa City.

If all the posters that complain about CHA would just buy season tickets next year... The issue would take care of itself. But bitching must be more fun than making an effort to go and support the Hawks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT