ADVERTISEMENT

Latest VP thoughts for President Biden

It won't matter. There will be a Dem landslide in November. Biden has several good options. The important thing is someone capable of winning in 2024 to ensure we get SCOTUS back to the correct side.

If Massachusetts had a Dem Governor, I think the pick would be Warren, but it's too big a risk right now.

Reactions: HawkNester
All of sudden the name Karen Bass keeps popping up. She doesn't thrill me, and I do not know if ideologically she works for Biden.
Lib TV also pushed the name Sally Yates this morning. The long time DoJ official who I quit / You're fired when Trump started to corrupt DC. Yates refused to follow unethical, illegal orders. In a more innocent time she worked apolitically for several administrations of both parties. She is an impressive woman, but considering her career has been entirely in private law practice, or at the DoJ I don't know if she has all of the qualities needed, and her name recognition is pretty low.

Would be surprised if its not Kamala
Joe isn’t the type to hold a grudge, but Harris’ attack on him in the debates was pretty scathing.

Duckworth’s military service is highly valuable considering Trump’s total lack of credibility there. I think she’d be popular in the Midwest and could be a good surrogate on the campaign trail.

Joe isn’t the type to hold a grudge, but Harris’ attack on him in the debates was pretty scathing.

Duckworth’s military service is highly valuable considering Trump’s total lack of credibility there. I think she’d be popular in the Midwest and could be a good surrogate on the campaign trail.
If he picks Harris he shows he isn't a pansy who wilts at confrontation.
And, they do know each other fairly well through his son Beau. They worked together when they were both state AGs.

If he picks Harris he shows he isn't a pansy who wilts at confrontation.
And, they do know each other fairly well through his son Beau. They worked together when they were both state AGs.
I have no doubt he’d pick her if she’s the best choice. He’s a big person. I’m just not sure she is. If she were a Midwesterner w military service, she’d be perfect, IMO.

I dont think Joe will hold it against her. To me she is the best option. Also, more photogenic. Yes that stuff matters like it or not.

It’ll be Kamala and for all purposes we are looking at the Harris administration. Biden is just a figure head and will be making zero decisions.

The right wingers better prepare for a long dry spell. The Republican Party will take years to recover... hopefully twelve.

Reactions: HawkNester
Not as long as you think, especially once the Dems start pushing for radical legislation.
The days of one Party controlling the WH for more than eight years are likely gone. So, you might be right. But the damage Trump has done to the Republican name cannot be overstated. The fact that so many GOP Senators have failed to stand up to him will cost the Party.

I expect a landslide win for the Dems in November, but as is usually the case...Republicans will whittle away at that majority starting in 2022. That's just the way Merican politics works.

Reactions: Jan Itor
They'll literally keep locked in the basement until that day.
Why would Biden say much in public right now? Trump is his own, worst enemy every time he opens his mouth or uses Twitter.

This is a brilliant strategy by the Dems. Biden has gone from a 3-4 point lead two months ago to a double digit lead now without saying a word.

Every day brings more bad news for the GOP.

Texas/Florida/Arizona as tossups right now?:p:p:p:p

Reactions: lucas80
If Massachusetts had a Dem Governor, I think the pick would be Warren, but it's too big a risk right now.

This fallacy needs to be put to rest. In this scenario, whatever sacrificial lamb the GOP Gov would appoint in Warren's place would be replaced by a Dem in a special election within 160 days of her leaving office. If she were to leave office upon receiving the nomination in late July, the new Dem Senator would be ready to be sworn in when the new Congress convenes Jan 3rd.

I don't think the choice will be Warren, though, which is a shame, because I believe she is the most qualified woman in America to be President. Fortunately, although Biden's VP choice will be consequential for 2024, she will have little effect on his 2020 election.

Why would Biden say much in public right now? Trump is his own, worst enemy every time he opens his mouth or uses Twitter.

This is a brilliant strategy by the Dems. Biden has gone from a 3-4 point lead two months ago to a double digit lead now without saying a word.

Every day brings more bad news for the GOP.

Texas/Florida/Arizona as tossups right now?:p:p:p:p

Agreed, about Trump being his own worst enemy, but I’d wager the Biden strategy is to not let him hurt himself. Because the more he talks, the more chances of him stepping on it. By doing that, and watching Trump hurt himself, good strategy

Agreed, about Trump being his own worst enemy, but I’d wager the Biden strategy is to not let him hurt himself. Because the more he talks, the more chances of him stepping on it. By doing that, and watching Trump hurt himself, good strategy
I think the debates will be limited to maybe two. Political junkies know the underdog has nothing to lose and I'm relatively certain the GOP will want 3-4. Trump might be good at nicknames and the like, but he's got a whole lot on record to defend.

Biden just needs to hit Trump on the virus response and the rushed reopening.

Trump might try the "Burisma" thing, but after what Merica has gone through in 2020, I doubt there's one voter that gives a shit right now.

This fallacy needs to be put to rest. In this scenario, whatever sacrificial lamb the GOP Gov would appoint in Warren's place would be replaced by a Dem in a special election within 160 days of her leaving office. If she were to leave office upon receiving the nomination in late July, the new Dem Senator would be ready to be sworn in when the new Congress convenes Jan 3rd.

I don't think the choice will be Warren, though, which is a shame, because I believe she is the most qualified woman in America to be President. Fortunately, although Biden's VP choice will be consequential for 2024, she will have little effect on his 2020 election.

that’s a dangerous assumption though. The last time Massachusetts had a special election, Scott Brown won it and took it away from the Dems for a couple of years. That’s a big risk.

that and warren is 70 also. I just can’t see Biden doubling down on age.

Reactions: Sooner-Be-Dead
that’s a dangerous assumption though. The last time Massachusetts had a special election, Scott Brown won it and took it away from the Dems for a couple of years. That’s a big risk.

that and warren is 70 also. I just can’t see Biden doubling down on age.

Despite the Scott Brown fiasco in 2010, when the political atmosphere was a little different than it is now to say the least, my above assumption is not dangerous, it's safe and solid.

At 70, Warren's age is not nearly as much of an issue as it might be for men in their mid-late 70s. The problem I have is that with Biden committed to having a female running mate, and with a lot of pressure on him to have her be a minority, he is really limited in what he has to choose from, in a year when the VP could be as consequential as ever for the country's future.

Reactions: Gimmered
Despite the Scott Brown fiasco in 2010, when the political atmosphere was a little different than it is now to say the least, my above assumption is not dangerous, it's safe and solid.

At 70, Warren's age is not nearly as much of an issue as it might be for men in their mid-late 70s. The problem I have is that with Biden committed to having a female running mate, and with a lot of pressure on him to have her be a minority, he is really limited in what he has to choose from, in a year when the VP could be as consequential as ever for the country's future.

If that election plus Trump’s own in 2016 have taught us anything, it’s that we shouldn’t take anything for granted.

I also don’t think adding a second septuagenarian to the ticket helps Biden, not to mention allowing Trump to make Pocahontas cracks from now to November helps anything.

j don’t disagree that a republican is unlikely to win a special election in Massachusetts right now, but why take the chance?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT