ADVERTISEMENT

Libertarians are ‘confused’ by RFK Jr’s VP pick -- NOW with POLL

How tempted are you to vote for RFJ, jr? (check all you agree with)

• I'd like to vote for him, but I'm not throwing away my vote.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland

Libertarians are ‘confused’ by RFK Jr’s VP pick​

The chair of the Libertarian National Committee said its members are “confused” by Robert F. Kennedy’s Jr. vice presidential pick, which he announced Tuesday.

“I think that a lot of libertarians are a little bit confused over why he chose Nicole Shanahan. I’m sure she’s a lovely person, but she doesn’t necessarily fit into alignment with any of our views,” Libertarian National Committee Chair Angela McArdle said on NewsNation’s “The Hill.”

Kennedy announced tech attorney and entrepreneur Nicole Shanahan as his pick for vice president during an event in Oakland, Calif. on Tuesday. When pressed further on why Libertarians are unsure about Kennedy’s choice, McArdle noted that she had supported President Biden and now-Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.

“So I’m really unsure how she’s going to fit in with the Libertarian Party. You know, I’m anxious to hear about it,” she added.

Kennedy switched to an independent White House bid in the fall after first launching his campaign in the Democratic presidential primary against President Biden. During remarks on Tuesday, Shanahan said she would be leaving the Democratic Party.

In recent months, Kennedy has fueled speculation that he will join the Libertarian Party’s ticket for the presidential election in November. When asked about conversations McArdle has had with Kennedy, she emphasized that any Libertarian presidential candidate would need to make an effort to get the support of the party.

Earlier this month, McArdle said no decision has been made on whether to put Kennedy on the ticket. McArdle said Tuesday that while picking Shanahan may not disqualify Kennedy from joining the Libertarian ticket, it definitely does not help him.

more here

I'm confused as to why any libertarian is under the impression that RFKj as POTUS would represent their policy positions. He's a 70 year old progressive.

I'm confused as to why any libertarian is under the impression that RFKj as POTUS would represent their policy positions. He's a 70 year old progressive.
Libertarians have policy positions?

Seriously, though, I'd be interested to see which libertarian values he puts forward as his "credentials." There have always been a lot of things that progressives and libertarians can agree on - mostly in the personal liberty arena.

It's definitely a step in the right direction.

large_15981_1988821.jpg

RFK Jr isn't libertarian. Trying to leverage the Libertarian party isn't going to get him very far.

She is pretty normal looking for a lady that [1] has been with two of the richest guys on earth and [2] is a VP candidate. What else is going on there?

[1] I agree with that. Maybe she's got a gold-medal skill set though.

[2] I think for a VP candidate, she's well above average. Taken as a group, that's not, historically, a good-looking bunch.

Reactions: Moral
I think they're more intelligent on average than other other parties.
Really? Based on trotting out a sacrificial lamb every four years then disappearing once they've taken the expected beating? Can you tell me where they run ANYTHING? Lily Wu just became the first "libertarian" mayor of a city over 100,000 but her own state's Libertarian Party doesn't recognize her..."Make no mistake: Lily Wu is not associated or engaged with this party".

If the Libertarian Party can get RFK to sign on to enough of their planks, they should absolutely accept him. For these small parties, voter recognition and future ballot access are enough to sell a part of their soul for.

As I've pointed out, libertarians and progressives agree a lot on civil liberties issues - because many are "freedom to do what you want" and "freedom from government control" issues - so there's one area.

Many Libertarians are anti-war, so there's another area of possible congruence. It wasn't that long ago since Rand Paul suggested massive cuts to the Defense budget.

If you frame environmental issues as conservation and protection, libertarians can get on board. But not if you frame environmental issues as regulations. So it's really just a question of whether the LP is willing to adjust their framing.

Needless to say, RFK's stance on mandates and vaccines won't be a problem for the LP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT