ADVERTISEMENT

Lawsuit aims to stop Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan

I listened for like 5 minutes. The lady just said the best person for understanding the financial impacts, long term, to the students is the secretary of education...... why? Wouldn't that be an economist?

Biden knew he couldn’t do this. It was just to get votes and then blame the republicans when it inevitability was shot down in the courts. Not a bad strategy.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
Dems are going to lose a lot of votes over this in races that are already tight. R’s won’t gain, nor will they lose

These loans won’t be repaid though and my guess is that states will prohibit lenders, landlords, etc from using them in a DTI calculation or for credit purposes.

Dems are going to lose a lot of votes over this in races that are already tight. R’s won’t gain, nor will they lose

These loans won’t be repaid though and my guess is that states will prohibit lenders, landlords, etc from using them in a DTI calculation or for credit purposes.
The banks won't take a loss, those loans will be repaid, it's just by whom.

The banks won't take a loss, those loans will be repaid, it's just by whom.

Maybe for the fraction that's private (iirc at one point it was 16% and it is now over 90% public). Even the R's aren't going to garnish wages over the public portion that accounts for nearly all of it. There have been no garnishments for student loans afaik, they just go into a bucket that needs to be "rehabilitated" after 180+ days of non-payment.

Biden knew he couldn’t do this. It was just to get votes and then blame the republicans when it inevitability was shot down in the courts. Not a bad strategy.
100% a political move, and the right one, even though I don't agree with it.

Again, a decision has been made prior to oral argument 99% of the time for an individual justice. It is truly rare for oral argument to cause a change or resolve an ambiguity. That's why Justice Thomas didn't ask a lot of questions historically.

And also again, to be fair, Justice Alito is not exactly Mr. Neutrality when it comes to how he asks his questions. (Also, Soto is much worse that KJ, but I've sort of been immunized to that.)
Soto ask a hypothetical about an earthquake destroying a house. She apparently forgot the statute clearly says national emergency, and there's no comma, so the inference is the emergency is related to war.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT