ADVERTISEMENT

Least likeable (ok, most hateable) team in any sport?

BonzoFury

HR All-American
Feb 4, 2022
I think LSU women's basketball has a pretty clear hold on #1 currently. It starts at the top and the players reflect their leader. That said... who were some of the least likeable teams in any sport over the last 50 years? Let's hear your faves. And please...more than just "I hate the Cowboys" or something similar. Specific players/coaches and personalities that just rub you the wrong way for a reason and made their team hateable.

I think LSU women's basketball has a pretty clear hold on #1 currently. It starts at the top and the players reflect their leader. That said... who were some of the least likeable teams in any sport over the last 50 years? Let's hear your faves. And please...more than just "I hate the Cowboys" or something similar. Specific players/coaches and personalities that just rub you the wrong way for a reason and made their team hateable.
Aaron Craft

Iowa State, all sports(both men and women), every year.
Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

Reactions: Underscore2
Yankees, probably. Mostly because they use the rest of the league as a farm team. They don’t develop much of their own talent, they just buy it. Notre Dame Football if you want to stick to college sports, because they are alway criminally overrated.
I can’t say I hate LSU nearly as much as I hate Kim Mulkey. If she were coaching someplace else, I wouldn’t really care about LSU one way or another, but I’d still hate her.

Yankees, probably. Notre Dame Football if you want to stick to college sports.
I can’t say I hate LSU nearly as much as I hate Kim Mulkey. If she were coaching someplace else, I wouldn’t really care about LSU one way or another, but I’d still hate her.
Agreed, but "Angel" (talk about an ironic name) is pretty unlikeable as well.

Agreed, but "Angel" (talk about an ironic name) is pretty unlikeable as well.
It’s hard for me to hate someone with obvious mental deficiencies. A lot of her problems would be fixed with the right coaching, but she’s not going to get that from Mulkey.

I'll go with late 80s/early 90s Illinois basketball and Lou Henson. The whole Deon Thomas thing.

Then Andy Kaufman and that buzzer beater in '93, after they pulled Iowa back out of the locker room to play that last 2 seconds of the game, after everyone thought it was over.

Eff Illinois.

Reactions: Bee93 and BonzoFury
The Gators in the 90's under Spurier and Tha U come to mind...

I HATED Lawrence Funderburk growing up

It’s hard for me to hate someone with obvious mental deficiencies. A lot of her problems would be fixed with the right coaching, but she’s not going to get that from Mulkey.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and wonder if parenting may play a role as well.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Didn't even need to open the thread to know this answer.

Well done.

Notre Dame, Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, and Penguins. Not necessarily in that order!
Individual would be Jerry Jones. Undeserved arrogance personified.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Those old Oakland Raider teams of the 60’s thru 80’s. Ben Davidson slamming Lenny Sawsin like a rag doll…Jack Tatum, Fred “the Hammer” Williamson…. A cast of dozens! And of course, their beloved owner/ coach Al (just win, baby) Davis… The Raiders were America’s team to hate!

Reactions: MikeT2425
Those old Oakland Raider teams of the 60’s thru 80’s. Ben Davidson slamming Lenny Sawsin like a rag doll…Jack Tatum, Fred “the Hammer” Williamson…. A cast of dozens! And of course, their beloved owner/ coach Al (just win, baby) Davis… The Raiders were America’s team to hate!

I kinda liked them. I cheered for Lyle Alzado. I grew up not that far from Yankton College. How he ever chose to go there I’ll never know

During those years I hated the Bills. They always seemed to beat the team I was rooting for.

Reactions: cl4isu
Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Moo U
As a Stiller fan, Ravens as well .

Come on fellas, Don’t just throw the name of your least favorite team. That’s amateur hour. How about some specifics and personalities and reasons.

The entire SEC. LSU in particular, led by that clown Mulkey and abetted by that epitome of a student athlete and gracious scholar, AR.

Alabama football and KP.

Another vote for Bo Schembechler, a guy who NEVER gave an opposing team or player one gram of credit for defeating his boys.

Bobby Knight, the male Mulkey without the wardrobe.

Officials Jim Bain and Art White, two of the poster boys for incompetence, and their legacy is alive and well today.

Notre Dame and the cheating "Fainting Irish." (Look it up.)

Iowa State. Everything, but especially because it's a team that can't settle on a uniform and that has a bird as a mascot to represent its Cyclone nickname.

Oregon, because it started the ludicrous multiple uniform craziness and wearing any color, school colors be damned.

Duke of the Laettner/Hurley period and Grayson Allen period. (And most of the years in between)
Any team coached by Mulkey.
Yankees of the 90s.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The Bay Area Bombers were national favorites, but my most hated team. Charlie O'Connell and Joannie Weston were great competitors, but just plain mean. Jeannie makes Angel seem angelic. They would almost always rally in the final period, beating my Midwest Pioneers.

I hate Nebraska with every fiber of my being. I don't own anything red because of it. Also my ex once bought me a pair of cheap New Balances for yard work, since the logo on the side was a "N" I made her return them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT