ADVERTISEMENT

LSU coach Kim Mulkey playing victim card, but what exactly is she complaining about?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Women’s college basketball has arrived!
Way to go, Kim Mulkey, four-time NCAA championship coach, two-time championship player and the head coach of the defending champion LSU women’s team.
You’ve done it.

Your unhinged rant about the alleged, impending, never-before-seen, purported ‘‘hit job’’ on you coming from the Washington Post was magnificent. It looked as though you were testifying before a Senate crime committee.
You’ve put women’s hoops up there with the big boys. Up there where every supporter has said the sport must go for fairness, equity, scrutiny, the American way.
Indeed, nothing says ego, entitlement and status like a furious diatribe from a coach at a news conference about a piece of unseen journalism. And nothing guarantees more viewers of the alleged upcoming story.
To refresh your memory: On Saturday, Mulkey, who dresses for games like a Mardi Gras reveler or human candy cane, ripped into the writer who, as she noted, has been working on a story about her for two years. The writer allegedly tried to talk with ‘‘disgruntled’’ former players, and he already had written about LSU football coach Brian Kelly in 2022. Man, did that story make Mulkey mad. So mad that she has refused every request the writer has made to talk with her for two full years.

The writer, by the way, is veteran sports journalist Kent Babb, whose piece about Kelly — titled ‘‘In Baton Rouge, There’s a $100 Million Football Coach and Everyone Else’’ — was absolutely spot-on. As detailed in Babb’s piece, Kelly makes $24,657 per day, while the median income for people living near the football stadium is $24,865 per year.
Mulkey, who recently signed a 10-year contract extension for $32 million, was very upset about that expose. The nerve of these writers. Kelly is King of the Swamp. Mulkey perceives herself as the Swamp Queen.
Part of me thinks that this whole thing was staged, that Mulkey and the NCAA gleefully and quietly plotted this PR gem for years. The timing was perfect: Go after a scribe (and his arrogant media outpost), play victim, play martyr, tell the world this is why nobody trusts the media, remind your team that the whole world is against us.
Then Mulkey’s cherry on top from Saturday, to let everybody know she’s a fighter: ‘‘I’ve hired the best defamation law firm in the country, and I will sue the Washington Post if they publish a false story about me. Not many people are in a position to hold these kinds of journalists accountable, but I am. And I’ll do it.’’

This is where you start chuckling. A tip here, Coach: Facts and opinions are not ‘‘false’’ things. You’re a public figure. Unless a piece was written with reckless disregard for the truth, knowingly false and still printed, it ain’t libel or slander. It’s called journalism.
Facts are true things.
But if Babb and the Post print lies, then sue ’em back to the Stone Age, Coach. Absolutely. While you’re at it, have fun with your own discovery and depositions. Have fun talking under oath about how you are not loved by the gay community. How you didn’t support your gay former star Brittney Griner, who led your Baylor team to a 40-0 season and a national championship. How you barely spoke about her while she was imprisoned in a Russian gulag.
Tell them how in March 2021, as the COVID-19 pandemic raged, you said the NCAA Tournament should ‘‘dump’’ its COVID testing.

Tell them about being suspended from the 2013 NCAA Tournament for your comments about officials.
Tell them why you called Babb — a nationally honored sportswriter whose book ‘‘Across the River,’’ about an inner-city New Orleans high school football team, is one of the best and most passionate sports books I’ve ever read — ‘‘sleazy.’’
And, above all, remind us why ESPN writer Kate Fagan said on a podcast: ‘‘Kim Mulkey is my dark horse for person in sports that you never want to cross. She might just be the No. 1 person in sports that is terrifying.’’
Oh, that lawsuit will never happen. Not a chance.

But women’s college hoops has stars such as Caitlin Clark, who dresses down like Mike Tyson entering the ring, and Angel Reese, who dresses up like a fashion shoot is breaking out, and the whole sport is rocketing upward.
So good work, Kim Mulkey. As we know, every great drama needs a bad guy. You got it.

Women’s college basketball has arrived!
Way to go, Kim Mulkey, four-time NCAA championship coach, two-time championship player and the head coach of the defending champion LSU women’s team.
You’ve done it.

Your unhinged rant about the alleged, impending, never-before-seen, purported ‘‘hit job’’ on you coming from the Washington Post was magnificent. It looked as though you were testifying before a Senate crime committee.
You’ve put women’s hoops up there with the big boys. Up there where every supporter has said the sport must go for fairness, equity, scrutiny, the American way.
Indeed, nothing says ego, entitlement and status like a furious diatribe from a coach at a news conference about a piece of unseen journalism. And nothing guarantees more viewers of the alleged upcoming story.
To refresh your memory: On Saturday, Mulkey, who dresses for games like a Mardi Gras reveler or human candy cane, ripped into the writer who, as she noted, has been working on a story about her for two years. The writer allegedly tried to talk with ‘‘disgruntled’’ former players, and he already had written about LSU football coach Brian Kelly in 2022. Man, did that story make Mulkey mad. So mad that she has refused every request the writer has made to talk with her for two full years.

The writer, by the way, is veteran sports journalist Kent Babb, whose piece about Kelly — titled ‘‘In Baton Rouge, There’s a $100 Million Football Coach and Everyone Else’’ — was absolutely spot-on. As detailed in Babb’s piece, Kelly makes $24,657 per day, while the median income for people living near the football stadium is $24,865 per year.
Mulkey, who recently signed a 10-year contract extension for $32 million, was very upset about that expose. The nerve of these writers. Kelly is King of the Swamp. Mulkey perceives herself as the Swamp Queen.
Part of me thinks that this whole thing was staged, that Mulkey and the NCAA gleefully and quietly plotted this PR gem for years. The timing was perfect: Go after a scribe (and his arrogant media outpost), play victim, play martyr, tell the world this is why nobody trusts the media, remind your team that the whole world is against us.
Then Mulkey’s cherry on top from Saturday, to let everybody know she’s a fighter: ‘‘I’ve hired the best defamation law firm in the country, and I will sue the Washington Post if they publish a false story about me. Not many people are in a position to hold these kinds of journalists accountable, but I am. And I’ll do it.’’

This is where you start chuckling. A tip here, Coach: Facts and opinions are not ‘‘false’’ things. You’re a public figure. Unless a piece was written with reckless disregard for the truth, knowingly false and still printed, it ain’t libel or slander. It’s called journalism.
Facts are true things.
But if Babb and the Post print lies, then sue ’em back to the Stone Age, Coach. Absolutely. While you’re at it, have fun with your own discovery and depositions. Have fun talking under oath about how you are not loved by the gay community. How you didn’t support your gay former star Brittney Griner, who led your Baylor team to a 40-0 season and a national championship. How you barely spoke about her while she was imprisoned in a Russian gulag.
Tell them how in March 2021, as the COVID-19 pandemic raged, you said the NCAA Tournament should ‘‘dump’’ its COVID testing.

Tell them about being suspended from the 2013 NCAA Tournament for your comments about officials.
Tell them why you called Babb — a nationally honored sportswriter whose book ‘‘Across the River,’’ about an inner-city New Orleans high school football team, is one of the best and most passionate sports books I’ve ever read — ‘‘sleazy.’’
And, above all, remind us why ESPN writer Kate Fagan said on a podcast: ‘‘Kim Mulkey is my dark horse for person in sports that you never want to cross. She might just be the No. 1 person in sports that is terrifying.’’
Oh, that lawsuit will never happen. Not a chance.

But women’s college hoops has stars such as Caitlin Clark, who dresses down like Mike Tyson entering the ring, and Angel Reese, who dresses up like a fashion shoot is breaking out, and the whole sport is rocketing upward.
So good work, Kim Mulkey. As we know, every great drama needs a bad guy. You got it.

"You’ve put women’s hoops up there with the big boys. "

No she didn't.

CC has more to do with that than her...by a wide margin.

Eagerly awaiting the white knights to head to this thread to defend Mulkey.

white-knight.gif

"You’ve put women’s hoops up there with the big boys. "

No she didn't.

CC has more to do with that than her...by a wide margin.
And, that undoubtedly burns Mulkey up. The spotlight hasn't been on her enough this year. The kind of spotlight she likes where the media fawns over her and pays attention to her, not the kind of attention that is apparently coming her way.

There is something out there she doesn't want out. I'm excited to see what it is.
My guess is it will be dirty recruiting but nobody care about that anymore with NIL.

Possibly a lesbian sex scandal within some past teams but nobody is going to touch that with a ten foot pole either.

My guess is a big nothing burger except she recruits and coaches like the top men’s programs (code for cheating and paying)

Banging boosters is my dark horse pick but nobody is going to care about that either.

There is something out there she doesn't want out. I'm excited to see what it is.
I’m guessing it has a lot to do with poor treatment of past players, probably some info on why Reese was not with the team for several preseason games, a lot of dislike between players parents based on early tweets this season, possibly no focus on grades with Reeses poor grades talked about pearly in the year, etc. Along with bad things that took place at previous schools under her watch.

Cannot wait to see it.

I think Mulky probably grossly overreacted and the article is going to be rather petty. (Like her)

Basically feeding the people in this thread that don't already like her.

I'd be surprised if it was any major violation of anything.

Reactions: TennNole17
I think Mulky probably grossly overreacted and the article is going to be rather petty. (Like her)

Basically feeding the people in this thread that don't already like her.

I'd be surprised if it was any major violation of anything.
My guess is the article points out how Mulkey burns bridges. She is not well liked in Waco.

Reactions: torbee
Cee U Next Tuesday. I DESPISE this person.
That's where I think the woman thing comes in. Again... unlikeable person... but the level of venom spewed her way compared to other coaches that generally weren't very likeable seems excessive, or at least very different.

Amongst Iowa fans losing in the NC is part of it, I'm sure.

(not that I'm against women coaches getting hated on like men... but the dynamics here seem different)

If I remember correctly, she was pretty silent during the debacle at Baylor with the football team. And I don't recall her rallying support for Griner. I know she does not like LGBTQ. A heckuva coach, but a pretty miserable person.

If I remember correctly, she was pretty silent during the debacle at Baylor with the football team. And I don't recall her rallying support for Griner. I know she does not like LGBTQ. A heckuva coach, but a pretty miserable person.
Oh this is fun, guess I'll have to defend Mulky to keep people honest. Somebody has to.

She and Griner are at odds for whatever reason.

She told Griner during recruiting that she was fine with her being gay, but she thought it wouldn't go over well to make publicly known (at Baylor and with recruiting) This 15 years ago or so... aside from issue, I've see nothing else.

The Baylor rape case... she seemed to take issue what we she saw as Baylor the school being unnecessarily criticized as a whole over the failures surrounding that one incident.

I never really paid attention to her -- aside from noticing attention seeking nature and commentary in pressers -- so this is what I found actually going back and reading articles from said incidents.

Wow-she really should have not melted down and had that press conference and caused so much more attention. Article is just a rehash of everything already known. Except now being seen by 100 times the audience it would have otherwise been unaware.

What a waste of time. It was a long damn article saying that not everyone likes her.

What a waste of time. It was a long damn article saying that not everyone likes her.
It was well-researched and well-reported.

I actually thought it made her a bit more sympathetic.

She is clearly so competitive and single-minded it has come at some expense to her personal relationships with ex-mentors, ex-players and even family members.

An interesting study on how the drive for excellence can come at personal cost.

For those, like me, who don't want to read the whole thing:

SUMMARY:

Kim Mulkey, renowned NCAA championship coach and head of LSU's women's basketball team, made headlines by vehemently denouncing an upcoming Washington Post article about her. Accusing the writer of bias, Mulkey's fiery response drew attention to herself and the sport. However, critics argue her reaction may have been orchestrated to rally support and deflect criticism. While Mulkey threatened legal action, commentators suggest her grievances may not hold water in court. Amidst the controversy, Mulkey's past controversies and abrasive reputation resurface, overshadowing the rising stars of women's college basketball. Despite the drama, Mulkey's actions inadvertently highlight the sport's growing prominence.

Oh this is fun, guess I'll have to defend Mulky to keep people honest. Somebody has to.

She and Griner are at odds for whatever reason.

She told Griner during recruiting that she was fine with her being gay, but she thought it wouldn't go over well to make publicly known (at Baylor and with recruiting) This 15 years ago or so... aside from issue, I've see nothing else.

The Baylor rape case... she seemed to take issue what we she saw as Baylor the school being unnecessarily criticized as a whole over the failures surrounding that one incident.

I never really paid attention to her -- aside from noticing attention seeking nature and commentary in pressers -- so this is what I found actually going back and reading articles from said incidents.
I didn’t read anything today that changed my mind about her or the issues I mentioned.

Ok. My point is the issues themselves weren't too significant. It's mostly behavioral and personality stuff with her. No big scandals.
I never mentioned scandals. I agree there was no gotcha moment in the article, but I still believe what I wrote earlier to be true. I didn’t read anything to change my impression of her.

I have to wonder how much of the victim-playing on Mulvey's part is designed to fire up her team to defend her "honor" during the remaining women's NCAA games. Any perceived disrepect toward Mulvey, their team, or the SEC in general does not go over well with the Bayou Babes. Remember last year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT