ADVERTISEMENT

Leistikow & Dochterman discuss QB Development at IOWA. Of Last 15 High School QBs Iowa has landed, 9 have Transferred Out. Deacon: 27-70 (39%)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Labas might be the 10th to transfer out.

I miss Nate Stanley, the last good QB Iowa has had.

Deacon's stats so far:

27-70 (39%)
311 yards
4.4 yds/attempt
2 TDs
2 INTS

This is the best we have?

The last 15 high school QBs Iowa has landed:
2024: James Resar, Jacksonville, FL
2023: Marco Lainez, Princeton, NJ
2022: Carson May, Jones, OK
2021: Joe Labas, Broadview Heights, OH
2020: Deuce Hogan, Grapevine, TX
2019: Alex Padilla, Greenwood Village, CO
2018: Spencer Petras, San Rafael, CA
2017: Peyton Mansell, Belton, TX
2016: Nate Stanley, Menomonie, WI
2015: Ryan Boyle, West Des Moines
2015: Drew Cook, Iowa City
2014: Tyler Wiegers, Detroit, MI
2013: Nic Shimonek, Corsicana, TX
2012: C.J. Beathard, Franklin, TN
2011: Jake Rudock, Fort Lauderdale, FL

Last edited:

Hmmm.... So kind of a dry spell since 2016. I'm trying to recall what might have changed in 2017 that could have possibly negatively impacted Iowa's QB recruiting/development. 🤔 I got nothin'.

Last edited:
This is from June, 2020:

Iowa QB coach Ken O’Keefe called on Ricky Stanzi to get his thoughts on 2021 QB Joey Labas.

“The first thing I saw was his quick release,” Stanzi said. “When I see a quick release, those are hard to come by, and it’s really hard to teach. When I saw it’s already there, I’m like, ‘This is beautiful.’”

“I signed off on (Labas) right away. I think he’s got that moxie. It’s sort of hard to put in a stat. But he has the ability to make a play, stretch the field, and get rid of the ball quick. He’s got that athletic ability that allows him to improvise. The highlights I saw, I really liked.”

LINK TO THAT FREE STORY:
https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/stanzi-labas-062420

saYseIGE

EbNinD3WoAAVQ9z

This is from June, 2020:

Iowa QB coach Ken O’Keefe called on Ricky Stanzi to get his thoughts on 2021 QB Joey Labas.

“The first thing I saw was his quick release,” Stanzi said. “When I see a quick release, those are hard to come by, and it’s really hard to teach. When I saw it’s already there, I’m like, ‘This is beautiful.’”

“I signed off on (Labas) right away. I think he’s got that moxie. It’s sort of hard to put in a stat. But he has the ability to make a play, stretch the field, and get rid of the ball quick. He’s got that athletic ability that allows him to improvise. The highlights I saw, I really liked.”

LINK TO THAT FREE STORY:

saYseIGE

EbNinD3WoAAVQ9z
I'm glad Stanzi liked him. Unfortunately Iowa was the only P5 offer he received. The MAC was very interested however.

I blame Kirk's tunnel vision when it comes to his QBs. Once he picks one, he practically has to break his leg effect a change, no matter haw inefficient the QB is. And they coach the kid down to the point he is so afraid of making a mistake that his ass is so tight that you couldn't pull a needle out with a tractor.

Lots of QB 2s and QB 3s will move on all across the country. If you want to play and the starter won’t be gone next year, how long will you sit and wait?

Georgia won two nattys with a walk on QB.
This is a good point. In today's transfer portal culture, you don't have veteran backups anymore. QBs want to play, and if they aren't the starter, they often transfer. I would expect most schools see at least half of their high school-recruited QBs leave the program before graduation.

Labas might be the 10th to transfer out.

This list is missing Jack Beneventi, the 2015 recruit from Oak Park, Ill., who committed to Iowa, but then Iowa pulled his offer. So he never got to campus, and maybe he shouldn't count. I believe he ended up at Western Illinois, but never recorded any statistics that I can find. Make of all this what you will.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Those guys both sound like I think a vast majority of us feel - Just lost. Absolutely no understanding of Iowa's philosophy with QB's and how they can have so many misses and have "the guy" be just so terrible year after year now. Coaches hype up Labas like he's the next Roger Staubach, but now with 3 years in the program is nowhere close to a guy who showed up a few months ago and has proven to be garbage to this point? And the coaching staff acts like there's really nothing wrong. Just plain bewildering.

I have not been following but how has James Resar been doing his senior year?

This list is missing Jack Beneventi, the 2015 recruit from Oak Park, Ill., who committed to Iowa, but then Iowa pulled his offer. So he never got to campus, and maybe he shouldn't count. I believe he ended up at Western Illinois, but never recorded any statistics that I can find. Make of all this what you will.
He quit football before enrolling at Western. Full time student at DePaul

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Here you go:

Stats
Yikes, our "big time" QB recruit next for next year...the guy who is supposed to give us hope for the future, is throwing for a whopping 148 yards per game in high school.

I'm sure he's just going up against really good high school competition. He'll have no problem throwing for more than that with Iowa's elite walk-on WRs against the likes of Ohio State and Michigan.

He quit football before enrolling at Western. Full time student at DePaul
He got benched his senior year of high school. We got some great qb whisperers in BF and KF. You know it’s kinda bad when the HC says he doesn’t really know much about qb’s in his post game interview on the field. Which makes sense why he named BarF the OC/QB coach.

The amount transferring out is not that big of an issue in the transfer portal era. It is the lack of development of the QB's signed. Bringing in Cade dispelled the notion that it takes awhile to learn the Iowa scheme.
Iowa is in the Power 2 conferences, should be able to get a QB in the transfer portal each year to compete with the recruits. If a QB becomes the starter and is producing, go to the transfer portal to find a backup, kind of like Hill this past season.
The problem with Hill starting now, is that is shows the lack of QB development and recruiting and an injured starter.

Yikes, our "big time" QB recruit next for next year...the guy who is supposed to give us hope for the future, is throwing for a whopping 148 yards per game in high school.

I'm sure he's just going up against really good high school competition. He'll have no problem throwing for more than that with Iowa's elite walk-on WRs against the likes of Ohio State and Michigan.
They’re 5-2 so he’s giving them a pretty good chance to win.

This is from June, 2020:

LINK TO THAT FREE STORY:

saYseIGE

EbNinD3WoAAVQ9z
Count Labas as another that will transfer. Absolutely no possibility to get a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT