ADVERTISEMENT

Leistikow & Dochterman discuss QB Development at IOWA. Of Last 15 High School QBs Iowa has landed, 9 have Transferred Out. Deacon: 27-70 (39%)

The offense has dropped off precipitously the last 3 years which means offense recruiting has been bad fro 5 years now.
The development has dropped off, the recruiting has absolutely not been bad, and this shows itself in positions like TE. Back to back years of Laporta to Lachey. 2021 should have been a special class with 2, 4* wr/ath in Bruce/Johnson, that was a bust plus Brecht. You cannot help it when your top kids end up injured as is the case with the OL. The OL is certainly a point of missed development, as is the WR/QB positions.

Assuming nothing changes with the staff, which is an unfortunate but probably likely accurate assumption, do they look to the portal again to try to find a backup who could actually come in and play qb if needed? Or do they continue to stand pat with the offense and personnel they have including bringing back a now multiple times significantly injured and injury prone player with further limited mobility? At any other program that would be looked at as being a bad move and poor planning. At Iowa it would be BAU.
I think it's a tough sell for a portal kid to come in and be the backup. Most of the high-quality QBs in the portal are there because they want to play. The guys willing to be a backup are guys like Deacon Hill.

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Why kirk will not use a quarterback that will pick up 2-3 first downs a game with his feet is beyond me.
Banks, Stanzi, Beathard all were this type of qb. A mobile beathard is the difference between 2015 and 2016.
We don't need an offensive overhaul we need a qb that will run a small amount and a better route tree.

Why kirk will not use a quarterback that will pick up 2-3 first downs a game with his feet is beyond me.
Banks, Stanzi, Beathard all were this type of qb. A mobile beathard is the difference between 2015 and 2016.
We don't need an offensive overhaul we need a qb that will run a small amount and a better route tree.
Agree about QB running. Even Trevor Lawrence was allowed to run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT