ADVERTISEMENT

Lester's Offense looks more wide open and people are still bitching; they think Kirk will hijack it back to his inside the hashmarks, 10 yards deep

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
It looks like Lester likes to spread it out, I like his pitch play to the running back which Minny uses and even gets good results against the hawk defense, he likes the QB running with the ball, and there are deep passes, lots of clearout pass routes to open things up. He has a lot of counter action where the OLine, TEnd, and RB start once direction, then they run it or pass it back the other way as they have improved their blocking angles.

I hope he gets to run this type of offense. It would be great to see the hawks passing it all over the place.

IF we see an offense that is drastically different - style and schematic-wise - than the last 5-10 years, next season, I will eat all the crow you can find to put in front of me.

Until then ... "believe it when I see it".
One would think that if ANYONE was going to be given autonomy it would have been BF, and he had a short leash like the others. If Lester is allowed, I will share that crow with you and bring some Easy Eddy.

Reactions: HawkBall23
So, what “style” did Greg Davis run at Texas in his 13 seasons as their offensive coordinator? Be specific, I want to see you all explain how the I-formation running based attack led by Cedric Benson was the same offense as Vince Young’s “One read and run it” was the same as the spread, quick-game with Colt McCoy.

What was it about the 2020 game against Northwestern, where we threw it FIFTY times on a blustery fall day with a 17-point lead that lead you all to think, “Yep!! That was definitely Kirk’s offense!!” Very rarely under BF did he actually call an offense that fit the “just burn clock and get the defense on the field” mantra that you THINK Kirk lives by. KOK and GDGD were experienced enough to mold offenses to their personnel. Brian could not.

I’m beginning to feel @cmhawks99 and @Frosty7130 and @hawkisoaker and other’s frustration. I seriously don’t know what some of you are watching. Cognitive dissonance, confirmation bias, whatever you want to call it, it’s absolutely run amok.

So, what “style” did Greg Davis run at Texas in his 13 seasons as their offensive coordinator? Be specific, I want to see you all explain how the I-formation running based attack led by Cedric Benson was the same offense as Vince Young’s “One read and run it” was the same as the spread, quick-game with Colt McCoy.

What was it about the 2020 game against Northwestern, where we threw it FIFTY times on a blustery fall day with a 17-point lead that lead you all to think, “Yep!! That was definitely Kirk’s offense!!” Very rarely under BF did he actually call an offense that fit the “just burn clock and get the defense on the field” mantra that you THINK Kirk lives by. KOK and GDGD were experienced enough to mold offenses to their personnel. Brian could not.

I’m beginning to feel @cmhawks99 and @Frosty7130 and @hawkisoaker and other’s frustration. I seriously don’t know what some of you are watching. Cognitive dissonance, confirmation bias, whatever you want to call it, it’s absolutely run amok.

Yes sir, they watch different games. We are all pissed about the offense and someone (Brain) needed to be held accountable, but man alive do people lack perspective and foresight….

Teams that fire coaches that are still winning at the level ours is, deserve to have 10 straight losing seasons…

I don’t care how big their blind spot is..,,,

Now, I’m all for a new coach that can keep winning by the way, but if we start losing, 1st I’ll be pissed at “those fans” and then I’ll laugh at them and quit caring…🤷‍♂️

GDGD ran a West Coast variant.

KOK ran essentially a wide open (MIke leach type) offense where they set multiple D3 records at Allegheny.

BF, well we have all seen the past 6yrs. 1 game here or there doesn't define a coach (50 passed in that game made no sense, then turn it back a few more years and we stomp OSU and hardly catch a glimpse of that offense ever again).

KF has a lot of sway in what is run and gives the OC a very small amount of autonomy.

On the other hand, Brian would be easy to handcuff being a son that grew up in this system.
So will Lester. After all, he's been fired, under investigation at his former DIII HC job, and was headed to be the OC @ Troy.

Alright, fine. KF doesn't control how the offense is ran.

Why was BF still the OC after the 2022 season? Why was KF so mad their "hand was forced" in letting Brian go after he stayed with the worst QB in the COUNTRY for week after week after week, following McNamara's season-ending injury & subsequent surgery, instead of stepping up himself and cutting Brian loose??

Even if Kirk Ferentz is very 'hands off' when it comes to the offense - which I very much doubt - why did he let his son (& other offensive coaches) turn that whole unit into the national laughing stock for two years running???

Its more than just nepotism. Nepotism induces much more leeway towards them, but it doesn't blind one to how bad their offspring is at their appointed job.

Everybody keeps saying that KF is holding on to retire with a .600+ winning percentage, or whatever the number is, but if that's so then why was Brian still going to be the OC this upcoming season if the higher ups didn't step in? No matter how great your defense and STs are, you still need to score some points to win at least some of the games you play.

I guess that was a very long-winded way to say that no matter what, KF - or at least his football philosophy - is still the very root of the offensive problems plaguing the program.

It looks like Lester likes to spread it out, I like his pitch play to the running back which Minny uses and even gets good results against the hawk defense, he likes the QB running with the ball, and there are deep passes, lots of clearout pass routes to open things up. He has a lot of counter action where the OLine, TEnd, and RB start once direction, then they run it or pass it back the other way as they have improved their blocking angles.

I hope he gets to run this type of offense. It would be great to see the hawks passing it all over the place.
See what you did....

It's pretty wild.....I gave up fighting it. I've typed up and then deleted so many responses cause I know I'll be stuck in a cycle of hell if I push send. It's just a lazy narrative people have

Alright, fine. KF doesn't control how the offense is ran.

Why was BF still the OC after the 2022 season? Why was KF so mad their "hand was forced" in letting Brian go after he stayed with the worst QB in the COUNTRY for week after week after week, following McNamara's season-ending injury & subsequent surgery, instead of stepping up himself and cutting Brian loose??

Even if Kirk Ferentz is very 'hands off' when it comes to the offense - which I very much doubt - why did he let his son (& other offensive coaches) turn that whole unit into the national laughing stock for two years running???

Its more than just nepotism. Nepotism induces much more leeway towards them, but it doesn't blind one to how bad their offspring is at their appointed job.

Everybody keeps saying that KF is holding on to retire with a .600+ winning percentage, or whatever the number is, but if that's so then why was Brian still going to be the OC this upcoming season if the higher ups didn't step in? No matter how great your defense and STs are, you still need to score some points to win at least some of the games you play.

I guess that was a very long-winded way to say that no matter what, KF - or at least his football philosophy - is still the very root of the offensive problems plaguing the program.
He put a plan in place back in 2012 to have Brian be his successor. I think he was bound and determined to force that into fruition. And, we were winning enough games that, in Kirk’s mind, keeping everything the same “justified” it.

I’ve been critical, angry, disgusted, exasperated, etc. with the offense like many on this board. And it IS VERY TROUBLING that Kirk was all set to run it back. But…if something isn’t rooted in fact, then I feel compelled to push back; not that I’m some arbiter of truth, but this is a message board for discussion.

Reactions: Birky
Well, it's a valid concern. However, Lester has the keys to the offense now so I'm going to wait and see what he does with them.

Reactions: nu2u
Well, it's a valid concern. However, Lester has the keys to the offense now so I'm going to wait and see what he does with them.
That's where I'm at also. I'm concerned, even skeptical, but wait and see is the only reasonable option until they take the field.

Reactions: Hawk68 and BioHawk
GDGD ran a West Coast variant.

KOK ran essentially a wide open (MIke leach type) offense where they set multiple D3 records at Allegheny.

BF, well we have all seen the past 6yrs. 1 game here or there doesn't define a coach (50 passed in that game made no sense, then turn it back a few more years and we stomp OSU and hardly catch a glimpse of that offense ever again).

KF has a lot of sway in what is run and gives the OC a very small amount of autonomy.
This, Kirk isn't calling plays but he certainly is dictating what everything looks like.

I’d like to think of it more as a drivers Ed car. Lester is at the steering wheel but don’t kid yourself, on the passenger side, Ferentz has a set of brakes too

I will believe Kirk forces his OCs to run a constrained offense until we come out against Ill St. and I see an offense that

1. Uses pistol and shotgun sets ; only going under center in short yardage or goal line
2. Uses 11 personnel more than 50%
3. Shows QB designed runs
4. Shows RPO looks
5. Scraps the zone blocking if it isn't effective.
6. Our QB play actually improves throughout a season
7. More than 2 passes a game are completed between the hashes
8. WRs get 12-15+ targets a game

I’d like to think of it more as a drivers Ed car. Lester is at the steering wheel but don’t kid yourself, on the passenger side, Ferentz has a set of brakes too
I suppose that's a good analogy and I'm OK with it to a certain extent as long as the brakes aren't engaged whenever the driver does not signal every turn and lane change. In other words, IMO the offense becoming more unpredictable would yield a major improvement over what we have seen the past three years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT