ADVERTISEMENT

Let's look at the bright side...

Letsgohawks411

HB All-State
Feb 15, 2015
1) We'll be better next year (uh, not a chance. You actually think without White and Olaseni, this team is better???)
2) recruiting is getting better (uh, no it isn't. Even with 5 commits we're 10th in the BIG. Most teams have less commits and are rated higher.)
3) We'll make the NCAA tournament next year. (Uh, not a chance. Add 1 + 2 and you get the NIT.)

Basically, there isn't a bright side to look at.

Wow, I never thought I would miss a troll. Thanks for confirming. IA's future is so bright, we got to wear shades!

You mention troll, but do not create any argument as to why I'm wrong about any of the three points I listed. Please convince me I'm wrong on any if the three points.

We return 7 players who played significant minutes this year.

We have 4 players coming in next year who will help the current group get better.

The Big ten is going to be down next year, a lot of teams losing key players.

This guy is such a troll. Get lost you loser. only show up after Iowa loses. Seriously.... Iowa will be fine next year.

Lol ...Please list all non blue bloods who lost a first team all conference player and a 6th man of the year from a major conference and improved. We'll be young, but the talent will be there... I don't care what the rankings say.

Originally posted by HaydenHawk8:

We have 4 players coming in next year who will help the current group get better.

Not one of the five players coming in will replace what White and Gabe brought to the court. Next years team will look like this years team without White and Gabe....not a pretty picture.

Originally posted by Letsgohawks411:

Not one of the five players coming in will replace what White and Gabe brought to the court. Next years team will look like this years team without White and Gabe....not a pretty picture.

I liked White and Olaseni but tonight was a glimpse of their weaknesses that we will be replacing with Wagner and Hutton. 3 rebounds combined from those 2 inside guys killed us. We were lacking toughness. Woody plays with it Clemmons showed it and even Uthoff plays with it.

Next year's team will have a new personality and I look forward to watching what they can do.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

oh looky RIGHT ON CUE IA loses and the negative nancy's show up spouting off their gloom and doom.
After the Davidson game I posted how I was proud of Fran and I still am. I'm also Mr. Reality when it comes to next season and no one has offered anything to make my points less valid. If we're going to be a better team without White and Gabe next season, why didn't we bench them both this season?????

oh looky RIGHT ON CUE IA loses and the negative nancy's show up spouting off their gloom and doom.
After the Davidson game I posted how I was proud of Fran and I still am. I'm also Mr. Reality when it comes to next season and no one has offered anything to make my points less valid. If we're going to be a better team without White and Gabe next season, why didn't we bench them both this season?????

Nobody thought we'd get to the ncaa this year because we didn't have anyone to replace Marble

1) We'll be better next year (uh, not a chance. You actually think without White and Olaseni, this team is better???)
2) recruiting is getting better (uh, no it isn't. Even with 5 commits we're 10th in the BIG. Most teams have less commits and are rated higher.)
3) We'll make the NCAA tournament next year. (Uh, not a chance. Add 1 + 2 and you get the NIT.)

you are not an Iowa fan, stop pretending you are. no one thinks it is cute and there is no possible way you can know any of this crap except in your delusional mind. go away.

You need to change your signature…………..loser.

4475a8526beb2540d69c3ca492ecbca45750cf982563ae9a63f895235f394db0.jpg

We just made the NCAA tournament and made it to the round of thirty-two with a good win over Davidson. Light years ahead of where we were five years ago. And now this?

None of us knows how good/bad this team will be next year. We have just as many good pieces coming back next yr as this yr. Need the next senior class to make the next step up past where this years group did and we will be fine. Keep building leadership and shoot better.

Looking forward to it.

Ok, Sunshine, your up!

I'll bite.

Last year, we lost Marble, Basabe, and McCabe. Everyone said we could not replace Marble (all big ten) who was our main creator and scorer. We could not replace Basabe who was a quality rebounder and energy guy. We could not replace McCabe who was our physical bully type.

Well, we didn't need to replace them. We needed to find a new identity and build upon those returning players and new faces. And, we did. We finished 12-6 as opposed to 9-9. We finished the season strong as opposed to falling apart. We won an NCAA tournament game by 30 freaking points over the A-10 champ.

So, how will we replace White and Olaseni? We won't. We will take the players coming back and the new faces coming in and form a new identity. We will improve. Look at Jok's improvement from last year to this year. If he keeps improving, he could be pretty darn good. I don't think Uhl will remain a 2ppg guy. I think he could make a big jump. The key here is no one will specifically come in and play the four and put up 16 points and 7 rebounds a game. Just like no one came in at the two and put up 18 a game like Marble did.

It is collective improvement. And EVERY single year so far, Fran has improved this Iowa team.

Comprehend yet?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Gessel, Woody, Uthoff, Jok, Uhl, Clemmons all have the opportunity to improve this offseason. I would go so far as to say that Uthoff is every bit as good this year as White was last year. Likely even better. Ellingson should be healthy and improved. And we have some talent coming in. Certainly much better than what we had when Fran arrived. I can see no reason to believe it won't get better.

You whole point is predicated on the false notion that you or anyone else can accurately predict the outcomes of our player development and recruiting efforts by using player rankings.

You reference those recruit rankings, yet only recently a study has been posted on this site that shows ample evidence if not entire proof that those rankings mean squat.

And as you can see from several responses, you old, tired show doesn't impress anyone.

So, sorry, but your act won't sway many people now that the Hawkeyes and McCaffery have shown that success can be had. About all you will get is treated like someone with little knowledge about which he speaks.

Originally posted by 3boysmom:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Gessel, Woody, Uthoff, Jok, Uhl, Clemmons all have the opportunity to improve this offseason. I would go so far as to say that Uthoff is every bit as good this year as White was last year. Likely even better. Ellingson should be healthy and improved. And we have some talent coming in. Certainly much better than what we had when Fran arrived. I can see no reason to believe it won't get better.
I think Uthoff has the potential to be a complete stud next year.

I actually think Clemmons can really come on as well.

As far as Woody, Gessel, and Jok go, I worry that we have seen their ceiling. Jok has the potential but seems hell bent on never even coming close to reaching it. When the going gets tough, he get's going, and not in a good way.

Ellingson? lol

Definitely need some of the new guys to step right in and NOT be freshman.

I actually think Flemming has the attitude we need on the team, I am hopeful he has the actual talent to match that.

If not, we have McCabe 2.0, which may not be all the bad either, I dunno.
This post was edited on 3/22 11:16 PM by hansenhawk

Player Analysis:
Woody needs to gain 15 lbs and make every bunnyGessel needs to stay aggressive throughout the gameJok needs more experience, less turnovers, plus more strengthUthoff: a little muscle would help him immensely, but he has talentClemmons needs to be able to drive to the basket, create assist opportunitiesUhl just needs more experience and some added strength (see Uthoff analysis)
Add in six new recruits. 2-3 will make significant contributions. With 6 new faces, it is critical to get better every game. Iowa needs more scorers. Early season, Iowa runs over the weak. By the end of the season, teams defense caught up...then it was dependent on the 1/2 court offense. This requires scorers. Hopefully Jok, Uthoff, and Uhl become the top 3 scorers. Add in 1 freshman that stands out, and 2 others that contribute. Iowa has a chance to get to this years level. "If" everyone improves year to year, has no significant injuries, and has freshmen that step up, this team will be all right.

No one knows who that 6th player is going to be. If it is a Juco or transfer student, this could improve the above speculation.

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

I think Uthoff has the potential to be a complete stud next year.

I actually think Clemmons can really come on as well.

As far as Woody, Gessel, and Jok go, I worry that we have seen their ceiling. Jok has the potential but seems hell bent on never even coming close to reaching it. When the going gets tough, he get's going, and not in a good way.

Ellingson? lol

I actually think Flemming has the attitude we need on the team, I am hopeful he has the actual talent to match that.

I guess I don't' get the joke here. We need shooters, and this kid can obviously shoot. I think he was something like 5-7 this year from behind the arc. While I understand this is a small sample size, it is very encouraging to see. Couple that with him never being healthy this year, surley you can understand there is potential.

Reactions: hackeysack
I think we will be tough next year. Four starters and five of the top 7 return. To me the key is Jok. He has to decide if he wants to be a top flight player in the league or just a below average player. I think he has the tools to be all Big 10 by his senior year and fill in the scoring gap from White next year, but he not only needs to improve his game but sharpen his focus and get tougher. He makes way too many mental mistakes and disappears during a game. It's similar to Uthoff and Clemmons - for different reasons - last year. If he commits to really working on his game during the offseason, he can be the X factor for us next year.

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

I think Uthoff has the potential to be a complete stud next year. Agreed

I actually think Clemmons can really come on as well. He's the wild card next year

Ellingson? The kid can stroke it and when healthy can spread the floor

Ellingson can shoot the ball and even though he a little slow footed, he can stroke it. I think he will be a good one.

Clemmons- He's the wild card next year. If he continues to develop we will have a player on our hands. I liked that he was confident and hitting the 3 ball late in the season. He could be a good player next year.

Gessell- Needs to work on his outside shooting, but he attacked more late in the season and now he needs to learn to dump it off to the bigs.

Utoff- If he can get it going consistently next year, he will be all Big Ten 1st team. He is a match-up nightmare and if he can shoot with consistency, he will be a good one.

Woodie- Need to see an improvement from him. Physical post players give him troubles and the lack of a jumper has hurt him. hopefully he can add it to his game (hell Hayes at Wisky can shoot 3s) Woodie can hit a 15ft jumper.

Jok- Loved his offensive game, but he need to become more consistent as well. Friday night he was stroking everything and looked good shooting it. Last night not so much, and it showed all season. He needs to become more consistent.

Uhl- Only a freshman, saw some glimpses of greatness. Needs to bulk up and also work on his shooting. IF he can improve he can help take some of the load off of replacing White & Olaseni scoring.

Freshman- Moss, Flemming, Hutton, Wagner, and Williams all need to come in and just play. When was the last time Iowa had a 4 star recruit from ESPN standards? I think Moss will come in and contribute right away. Love his outside shooting and looks like he could be a good one, along with Flemming. If these guys come in and each average 3-4pts a game, that's a bonus. I think this class is ready for the college game. They all can step outside and shoot it (outside of wagner).

I think the hawks return a lot for next years team and the incoming freshman will help out a little. The whole key to next years season is can we hit from the outside? If we struggle shooting like we did early this year, we are in trouble. If we can find some consistent shooters, that will open up the inside and make it more difficult to defend.

You're right, we should just mail it in now and save the disappointment. Not a chance any of the returning players improves between now and then...... Probably be lucky to make the CBI..

We are the only team in the country losing big contributors to graduation, so I expect a drop off.

Recruiting has gotten better, that's why the results have gotten better. Just because they're not playing on x-box and hitting a button to talk to 5 star recruits, you think they are failing. Enough said.

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
We are the only team in the country losing big contributors to graduation, so I expect a drop off.

Recruiting has gotten better, that's why the results have gotten better. Just because they're not playing on x-box and hitting a button to talk to 5 star recruits, you think they are failing. Enough said.
Um wisky is losing Dekker (NBA), Kaminsky, Jackson, Gasser, and Dukan? Not sure if they can replace those 5?

OSU is losing Russell (NBA), Scott, Williams, and Thompson pretty tough to replace those 4

MSU is losing Dawson and Trice (Their two best players)

Maryland is losing Wells, Tremble (NBA), and Smotcrysck (sp)

Illinois is losing Starks, Ngewu, Rice, and Abrams

So a lot of the Big Ten teams are replacing a HUGE part of their team. The hawks are losing 2 great players, but we return a lot for next year.

I can answer all 3 of your points by saying you are stupid. That should suffice. Go back to bed. The world sucks and so do you.
laugh.r191677.gif

You mention troll, but do not create any argument as to why I'm wrong about any of the three points I listed. Please convince me I'm wrong on any if the three points.
Well the truth is even if someone made a sound argument backed with facts to support that Iowa will be fine next year, it wouldn't matter because you've already made up your mind, and would rebut anything positive someone said.....because that's how you roll.

Or better yet, you just wouldn't respond. You'll go away until you can think of something else negative to start a new thread about. Have fun with that.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:

Well the truth is even if someone made a sound argument backed with facts to support that Iowa will be fine next year, it wouldn't matter because you've already made up your mind, and would rebut anything positive someone said.....because that's how you roll.

Or better yet, you just wouldn't respond. You'll go away until you can think of something else negative to start a new thread about. Have fun with that.

There's truth smacking someone right in the face! That is if he comes back to read it. After the thumping handed him by several posters I suspect 411 would like to crawl under the bed until this thread goes away.

I know, right????? We were better this year than last with RDM leaving, we probably would have been an Elite 8 team if we'd benched that bum last year!!!

Originally posted by FranklinHawk:

After the Davidson game I posted how I was proud of Fran and I still am.  I'm also Mr. Reality when it comes to next season and no one has offered anything to make my points less valid.  If we're going to be a better team without White and Gabe next season, why didn't we bench them both this season?????
I know, right????? We were better this year than last with RDM leaving, we probably would have been an Elite 8 team if we'd benched that bum last year!!!
Lol! What happened to 411? Sobered up maybe?

1. You have no way of knowing with 100% certainty how this team will do next year.
2. You have no way of knowing with 100% certainty how these recruits will perform next year or the coming years.
3. 1 + 2 = You have no way of knowing with 100% certainty whether or not Iowa will be in the NCAA tournament next year.

Originally posted by DanL53:

You whole point is predicated on the false notion that you or anyone else can accurately predict the outcomes of our player development and recruiting efforts by using player rankings.

You reference those recruit rankings, yet only recently a study has been posted on this site that shows ample evidence if not entire proof that those rankings mean squat.

And as you can see from several responses, you old, tired show doesn't impress anyone.

So, sorry, but your act won't sway many people now that the Hawkeyes and McCaffery have shown that success can be had. About all you will get is treated like someone with little knowledge about which he speaks.
Your first paragraph is absolutely correct. You should have stopped there.

Your second paragraph is utter nonsense, a total fabrication.

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:

You won't goad me into another fight, liar. People can read the study. If I have to post it several times to give them a chance I will.

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:

You won't goad me into another fight, liar. People can read the study. If I have to post it several times to give them a chance I will.
The only liar has been you with the ficticious Woody quote you attributed to me. I want people to read the study because it just makes you look like an idiot and a liar. However, if you are going to make an affirmative statement about a study you should be able to articulate your case by providing quotes to prove your point. This way people don't have to depend on your word as to the study's conclusion, they can actually read the words of the study via quotes (which is what I provided). This shows everyone you have a grasp of what the authors of the study were actually saying. It's clear you have no freakin' clue what they were saying and you continue to display your unlimited ignorance every time you bring this subject up. Why do you want to continue to make a fool of yourself?

Obviously, White will be sorely missed. To be perfectly honest, Olesani played really poorly against PSU and Gonzaga. As others have pointed out, he was a good shot blocker but gets lost frequently on defense. It will have to be Uthoff's team and Gesell is going to have to shoot better and become more of a scoring threat. I hope Woodbury can learn to stay out of foul trouble because we will struggle without him against true big guys. I think the two players that can really help us next year as Frosh are Hutton and Flemming. I am looking forward to seeing Hutton play defense as his coach called him the best defender in the country. That's an upgrade over Oglesby and Jok on the perimeter. Fleming is going to have to help handle the ball and hopefully he can knock down some 3 balls. I feel he will be the most Big Ten ready due to the level of competition he has seen this year. I think we will be ok but I would love to see Fran get a JUCO power forward that can bang down low.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT