ADVERTISEMENT

Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there....

But you've continued to ignore this is a main issue facing them, and why they cannot get affordable re-insurance.

Been pointed out to you over a dozen times now: Construction cost inflation is stabilizing. Risks from major events are increasing rapidly. The latter is the primary driver here, and you can find that just about anywhere with a simple Google search. Re-insurers have been telling you this for the better part of 2 decades now.
Learn what a lag and lead measure are. Insurance companies don't get to immediately mirror a market.

You ignore 95% of what I'm telling you in order to hash and rehash a tiny portion. The article itself list the rising cost as #1 and you have gone so far as to skip past that and highlight the portion you think fits your narrative without realizing you don't need reinsurance if you don't have high claims cost.

You. Don't. Know. What . You. Are. Talking. About.

You're ignoring what the article states.

And nowhere does it "rank" reasons.
State Farm General Insurance Company made this decision due to historic increases in construction costs outpacing inflation, rapidly growing catastrophe exposure, and a challenging reinsurance market,”

State Farm General Insurance Company made this decision due to historic increases in construction costs outpacing inflation, rapidly growing catastrophe exposure, and a challenging reinsurance market,”

Yep

Two out of three are what you seem to continue to ignore.
Along with the fact that construction cost inflation is now stabilizing; which means that one is "coming off the boards".

Yes.

And because claims are more expensive, because 2x4s are.more expensive and cars are full of electronics, you hit that aggregate limit more often couple that with the increase in claims and you have people getting out of shitty markets.

I've never said a company cannot have multiple cats in a year.
… but the more claims are due to the large amount of CAT events.

… but the more claims are due to the large amount of CAT events.
Events that would not historically hit reinsurance and be declared a cat are now cats because the cost to rebuild is so high.

Flat out, if the derecho that hit the dakotas would have done so at 3 dollars for a 2x4 instead of 9 dollars for a 2x4 it would have never hit cat status. It would have all been handled in house. That's what Joe doesn't seem to understand.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Events that would not historically hit reinsurance and be declared a cat are now cats because the cost to rebuild is so high.

Flat out, if the derecho that hit the dakotas would have done so at 3 dollars for a 2x4 instead of 9 dollars for a 2x4 it would have never hit cat status. It would have all been handled in house. That's what Joe doesn't seem to understand.
Definitely would have hit cat status. Mutuals themselves have said they never had storms like that…. Don’t hear them blaming it on the cost of lumber although it does play a part.

Definitely would have hit cat status. Mutuals themselves have said they never had storms like that…. Don’t hear them blaming it on the cost of lumber although it does play a part.
How are the mutuals doing that run through Grinnell? Heard of at least one mutual closing up shop (Algona)

How are the mutuals doing that run through Grinnell? Heard of at least one mutual closing up shop (Algona)
Grinnell is dropping a lot of clients and de-risking. If you’re dropped you have to go the brokered market or merge. A lot of mergers right now. I had heard Algona is not closing shop now…

No way that would have hit cat status if everything it touched wasn't price inflated to shit. Ours probably would have, because it went straight down 80, no way the one that went through the dakotas would have in a normal pricing period.

( we have reached the part of the conversation where both of us are speculating)

Will-Ferrel-Elf-Insurance-Meme.jpg

No way that would have hit cat status if everything it touched wasn't price inflated to shit. Ours probably would have, because it went straight down 80, no way the one that went through the dakotas would have in a normal pricing period.

( we have reached the part of the conversation where both of us are speculating)
A mutual doesn’t lose 90% of surplus due to the cost of lumber. It was a freak year in 2022. Also keep in mind that SD does not require aggregate protection.

Grinnell is dropping a lot of clients and de-risking. If you’re dropped you have to go the brokered market or merge. A lot of mergers right now. I had heard Algona is not closing shop now…
The one that scares me is aAll-state. ( other than the one who is actually somehow running profitable gain right now).

I have it on good authority they can price themselves in the ditch for 20+ years and still be in the red. They could do what Trad was talking about and just try to buy the shit out of market share.

Your right, it's lumber, labor, cost of vehicles, ect. It isn't just the lumber.
I mean, if you look at the pages and pages of claims, it’s clear that property is due to the volume of storms. Vehicles, I don’t really know. The work I’ve done with stock companies is limited and the auto sellers I did do work on were still profitable. I didn’t realize auto was being hurt like property.

I mean, if you look at the pages and pages of claims, it’s clear that property is due to the volume of storms. Vehicles, I don’t really know. The work I’ve done with stock companies is limited and the auto sellers I did do work on were still profitable. I didn’t realize auto was being hurt like property.
O shit man. Auto is getting crushed in most states.

Driving milage and claims are way up. Far above any pre2020 numbers.

You have seen how certain carriers are no longer ccovering certain vehicles due to theft?

O shit man. Auto is getting crushed in most states.

Driving milage and claims are way up. Far above any pre2020 numbers.

You have seen how certain carriers are no longer ccovering certain vehicles due to theft?
I have not seen that and my premiums didn’t increase that much. My limited exposure to auto is in SD and those companies didn’t get destroyed. Can’t speak for to other areas on auto.

The one that scares me is aAll-state. ( other than the one who is actually somehow running profitable gain right now).

I have it on good authority they can price themselves in the ditch for 20+ years and still be in the red. They could do what Trad was talking about and just try to buy the shit out of market share.
They would still need to stay out of certain areas though wouldn’t they? Does it make sense to seek premiums in areas that are prone to forest fires, hurricanes, etc?

I have not seen that and my premiums didn’t increased that much. My limited exposure to auto is in SD and those companies didn’t get destroyed. Can’t speak for to other areas on auto.

Your data isn't showing milage, claims, and cost of claims all up?

What is it you do again?

They would still need to stay out of certain areas though wouldn’t they? Does it make sense to seek premiums in areas that are prone to forest fires, hurricanes, etc?
They are in a financial situation to run much tighter margins or even be 100% combined ratio and just starve competition.

They are in a financial situation to run much tighter margins or even be 100% combined ratio and just starve
Probably could run at a loss. I’m interested to see what happens to the mutual market. Mergers were happening all over the place but the 2022 really accelerated that. I could see a situation where there is a handful or less in every state.

He ain't gonna budge from his position, no matter much data is presented to him.

If you're talking Heartland, I believe they got re-insurance pretty close to the last minute, but it isn't an A-Rated re-insurer. Sounds like this is causing some problems for agencies E&O carriers, as they won't stand behind a carrier without an A-Rated reinsurer?

Also, I believe the liability carrier attached with Heartland is IMT, and not Grinnell, right?
I do know that some of the mutuals are taking some pretty hefty rate increases, that I believe are tied back to Grinnell forcing that issue. We have on in our office that's taking 20%+ on property exposures, and increasing inflation guard as well. Hell, taking 20% is like a breath of fresh air compared to some farm renewals I've seen coming in....................

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Now Farmers and AIG announce they’re no longer writing new policies in Florida?

This seems like a crisis in the making.
Have another carrier pulling out of the direct market, a carrier that isn't writing new business in Iowa after July 1, and now our biggest carrier putting huge restrictions on their auto and home markets for new biz. Sure am glad I signed my name on the dotted line a year and a half ago to own this place....f*ck.

• Wow
Have another carrier pulling out of the direct market, a carrier that isn't writing new business in Iowa after July 1, and now our biggest carrier putting huge restrictions on their auto and home markets for new biz. Sure am glad I signed my name on the dotted line a year and a half ago to own this place....f*ck.
Sorry to hear that. I am in insurance too. I am a captive agent for a large company. historically Iowa has been a great state for insurers to do business, that has changed due to weather events.

I wouldn’t know what I would do if my company pulled out of Iowa.

Sorry to hear that. I am in insurance too. I am a captive agent for a large company. historically Iowa has been a great state for insurers to do business, that has changed due to weather events.

I wouldn’t know what I would do if my company pulled out of Iowa.
You'd sell the book to me, for pennies :)

We'll survive, and as long as the re-insurers don't hit our Mutual companies with many more regulations, deductible requirements, and rate increases, we'll still have a very competitive market for new business. That, and hoping the government never touches crop insurance. Kinda need that in the office...

So now, major carriers walking away from a top 20 world market because the politics and crime have gotten so costly.
LOLz

this "nugget" is still up here.

Despite about 4 separate threads now, where insurers pulling out of various markets are ALL claiming "weather/climate" related issues and reinsurance as their main concerns.

And, yes, rebuild costs are certainly up; they have now fully stabilized and are expected to return to normal rates of inflation.

But the climate-related risks and re-insurance problems are still there...

LOLz

this "nugget" is still up here.

Despite about 4 separate threads now, where insurers pulling out of various markets are ALL claiming "weather/climate" related issues and reinsurance as their main concerns.

And, yes, rebuild costs are certainly up; they have now fully stabilized and are expected to return to normal rates of inflation.

But the climate-related risks and re-insurance problems are still there...
Joe, in order to have a weather related issue impact an insurer what first must happen:

A) a claim must be filed
B) Joe wets his bed
C) Dorothy rides a broom
D) A & B

You can't have cat claims without there being no claims. Claims are hitting the cat status more frequently because the cost of everything has gone up. You don't hit your reinsurance threshold until you have used your underlying coverage, something you use more of when the cost of materials and labor are up.

Last edited:
You can't have cat claims without there being no claims. Claims are hitting the cat status more frequently because the cost of everything has gone up.
Nope; claims are hitting the cat status more frequently because of climate-change related risks.

Re-insurers have been telling you this is coming for ~20 years now.
Yet, here you are, still denying it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT