ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Keinholz

No it isn’t. Viewership and attendance is at an all-time high. Football Playoffs are expanding, WBB setting records…. It is more popular than ever.
WBB is the exception and mainly due to CC, now that she is gone, let's see if WBB can sustain. Bowl games are mostly a joke with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers being thrust into the starting roles. The playoffs expanding starts this year, can't gauge the viewership yet (and if players sit out, it won't be good). Parity that was actually getting good, NIL has destroyed as there is no longer any notion of loyalty from a top player.

WBB is the exception and mainly due to CC, now that she is gone, let's see if WBB can sustain. Bowl games are mostly a joke with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers being thrust into the starting roles. The playoffs expanding starts this year, can't gauge the viewership yet (and if players sit out, it won't be good). Parity that was actually getting good, NIL has destroyed as there is no longer any notion of loyalty from a top player.
While I can agree with most of what you said, I think parity has never been good. In fact it may have been better this past season. Michigan won the natty. Washington went to the natty… I’d say it was better than in previous 6 seasons.
NIL needs to get under control but to this point it hasn’t really hurt iowa a ton yet IMO, but it will.
One thing is that only so many players can start for the top teams, joe burrow would be a great example of someone who was stuck behind some really good players and left to ball out for another team. While I personally like the old way of development, the transfer portal gives kids the opportunity to try at their dream school and transfer out if they can’t make it, it also allows kids to make a name for themselves at smaller school and transfer to their dream school/ contender. It’s the pay to play, paying recruits out of high school and transferring just for money we all hate…
It also allows teams to shed the fat, let kids leave that won’t ever contribute, open up spots for players than can come in and make an impact

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
While I can agree with most of what you said, I think parity has never been good. In fact it may have been better this past season. Michigan won the natty. Washington went to the natty… I’d say it was better than in previous 6 seasons.
NIL needs to get under control but to this point it hasn’t really hurt iowa a ton yet IMO, but it will.
One thing is that only so many players can start for the top teams, joe burrow would be a great example of someone who was stuck behind some really good players and left to ball out for another team. While I personally like the old way of development, the transfer portal gives kids the opportunity to try at their dream school and transfer out if they can’t make it, it also allows kids to make a name for themselves at smaller school and transfer to their dream school/ contender. It’s the pay to play, paying recruits out of high school and transferring just for money we all hate…
It also allows teams to shed the fat, let kids leave that won’t ever contribute, open up spots for players than can come in and make an impact
Agree - it hasn't had a huge impact (one way or the other for Iowa), but it is inevitable to boost the bluebloods to the top, year-in-year-out. As donors keep throwing ridiculous money (TN QB at 8mllion) at top players, we will see most of the top players going to those schools.

The players that can make an impact want to go to programs that will compete for NT's, not "just get in the playoffs". SSDD.

Thank you. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. If you are going to talk the talk, walk the walk first.

This what I said about being one of our selling point for 4 star players on offense. You can go to a school full of other 4 and 5 star players and ride the pine, or if you are any good, you can come here and pretty much start right away or year 2 anyway. On the flip side, if you are on defense, look, Iowa puts people in the NFL at a clip right up there with the "elite" schools and I hate to tell people this, but being offensively stunted, most of the guys we put into the next level are from our defense. I do not know, but I bet if you just looked at defensive players drafted, Iowa has to be one of the top in the nation. So the bar is high, but if you make it, you are going to more then likely get more then one look from the scouts. So as far as that goes the "elite" schools do not have anything on Iowa and Iowa is an elite defensive school.
A fair number of offensive linemen & tight ends would like to speak... O-Line current roster excluded.

I guess 8 million is nothing for them to spend....

Who are the biggest boosters of University of Tennessee?

They are Jimmy Haslam, the CEO of Pilot Flying J and owner of the Cleveland Browns with a net worth of $3.6 billion, and Charles Ergen, a co-founder and current Chairman of the Board and former President and CEO of Dish Network with a net worth of $15.9 billion. Both are UT graduates.

A fair number of offensive linemen & tight ends would like to speak... O-Line current roster excluded.
TE's I would agree, OL, not so much. 16 DB's on roster. 17 OL on roster. 11 TE's. I will let you figure out the percentages over the years. We used to do better with the OL and that is part of the problem. (what is the problem there? Well that is the million dollar question ism't it?)
Something else that is bothering me, and I think most knowledgeable fans, is that for 2 years now we have been splitting reps with the QB's. Now if you have 2 healthy and amazing QB's and it is a legit competition, then you have a good problem. But when your projected starter is having to split reps with QB2 who is no where near as good, yeah you might elevate #2 a little, but at the expense of #1. So it will be nice when the coaches figure that out and get the QB room back in order. The ideal is exactly what happened to Cade at Michigan, he got over taken when he could not take the majority of the reps and we do not have anything like that??? (because we do not have legit talent and thus legit competition??) That tells you the state of the room. I am sure Lester being a QB guru understands this situation and will work to rectify it asap. But I guess for now you have to run what ya brung, type of deal.

Last edited:
Where exactly do you think Iowa sits in the grand scheme of things? I’d suggest NIL has shown that Iowa is what they have always been. A second tier program.

Can you point to a time when what you’re concerned about wasn’t the case?
I would say since Fry got us to that first Rose Bowl that Iowa for the last 44 years has been an avg Top 20 ranked team out of 120-130 teams. I dont call that 2nd tier. In this time frame Iowa has ended up ranked in the top 10 about 6-7 times, has been ranked from 11-15 maybe 15-20 more years. That is something very few programs can say except the true blue bloods.

I would say since Fry got us to that first Rose Bowl that Iowa for the last 44 years has been an avg Top 20 ranked team out of 120-130 teams. I dont call that 2nd tier. In this time frame Iowa has ended up ranked in the top 10 about 6-7 times, has been ranked from 11-15 maybe 15-20 more years. That is something very few programs can say except the true blue bloods.
Iowa is 22nd in wins among power 5 teams since 1981 - so it's certainly fair to argue top 25 at least. Also, on a related note, Iowa tends to be one of the more underrated programs when it comes to preseason polls. Over or underrated programs since 1989

Last edited:
I’d imagine they do attempt to bring in a transfer QB. If they don’t I question Lester’s abilities. Curious to see what players transfer out this spring. That’s also part of the issue. We will know next week.
Lincoln kienholz is just a guess at this point since he is likely transferring out and from SD.
Some back-up somewhere will want to be the starter similar to what Cade did when he transferred. I imagine we get a guy on that level(or at least the level he seemed to be at that time) or a sophomore/junior that is behind a younger QB in depth chart… kids want to play and QB at iowa is a good option for PT if you are any good
If they bring in a QB(hopefully)and Hill is #2, I could see Marco transferring. If he can't beat out Hill,playing QB isn't in his future.

I can't imagine traveling to a 2nd tier Bowl game as a fan anymore to watch what essentially is a spring game against an opponent. But I can still see the value for the team for extra practice and 2nd teamers getting a chance to play and see what they can do.

It's one thing if you have boosters/donors with deep pockets who want to put significant amounts of their disposal income towards their alma mater or just because they're huge fans of the school, that is a rich person prerogative.

However, are there really average fans (standard lower/middle class) out there committing up to $500/mo to fund college athletes becoming wealthier than themselves??

At the same time, these FB/MBB athletes live in luxury dormitories, eat top shelf meals, get handed free clothing/apparel and (should it ever become an issue) basically given a free pass from local law enforcement due to their status bringing glory to the University. Now we can add becoming very wealthy to the list. Oh, and let's not forget that they can choose to portal out any time they like if a better offer from a rival school comes along.

It's in insanity.

Again I ask: Why isn't the University, the primary beneficiary of the BILLIONS being generated from college sports (i.e. football and basketball) not allowed to give some of their profits directly to the athletes in the form of NIL?

For those not wanting to click on the link, here is the article in a nutshell:

[Collective] president and co-founder Hunter Baddour said in February the collective is aiming to generate at least $25 million annually to put into the pockets of student-athletes. In an ultra-competitive landscape in the SEC, this could help lure an increasing number of five-star prospects to Knoxville.

It’s all part of a move to place an emphasis on roster retention, similar to other collectives across the country. Ensuring an athlete’s NIL needs are satisfied plays a major role in their future plans. ...

The organization currently has 2,318 members at last check. ... The club has five membership levels, ranging from $5 a month to $500. The race in the NIL collective world is to stockpile the most cash to distribute to current players so recruits know what they can make once they enroll at the college.

“College football’s a multi-billion dollar business,” Baddour previously told On3. “And just with football, winning matters. And winning is important because it can generate millions of dollars for not just the athletic department but for the entire academic community. In addition, it has a direct impact on the bottom line of businesses all across the state of Tennessee. And it comes down to players. The players win the games. And that’s just the reality.” ...

:rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: SB_SB and Torg
I guess 8 million is nothing for them to spend....

Who are the biggest boosters of University of Tennessee?

They are Jimmy Haslam, the CEO of Pilot Flying J and owner of the Cleveland Browns with a net worth of $3.6 billion, and Charles Ergen, a co-founder and current Chairman of the Board and former President and CEO of Dish Network with a net worth of $15.9 billion. Both are UT graduates.
Dave Ramsey is a huge Tennessee fan and alumni. I’m sure he’s involved with booster efforts.

Kenny Chesney is also a huge Tennessee fan.

Reactions: iowaathletes
It's one thing if you have boosters/donors with deep pockets who want to put significant amounts of their disposal income towards their alma mater or just because they're huge fans of the school, that is a rich person prerogative.

However, are there really average fans (standard lower/middle class) out there committing up to $500/mo to fund college athletes becoming wealthier than themselves??

At the same time, these FB/MBB athletes live in luxury dormitories, eat top shelf meals, get handed free clothing/apparel and (should it ever become an issue) basically given a free pass from local law enforcement due to their status bringing glory to the University. Now we can add becoming very wealthy to the list. Oh, and let's not forget that they can choose to portal out any time they like if a better offer from a rival school comes along.

It's in insanity.

Again I ask: Why isn't the University, the primary beneficiary of the BILLIONS being generated from college sports (i.e. football and basketball) not allowed to give some of their profits directly to the athletes in the form of NIL?

For those not wanting to click on the link, here is the article in a nutshell:

[Collective] president and co-founder Hunter Baddour said in February the collective is aiming to generate at least $25 million annually to put into the pockets of student-athletes. In an ultra-competitive landscape in the SEC, this could help lure an increasing number of five-star prospects to Knoxville.

It’s all part of a move to place an emphasis on roster retention, similar to other collectives across the country. Ensuring an athlete’s NIL needs are satisfied plays a major role in their future plans. ...

The organization currently has 2,318 members at last check. ... The club has five membership levels, ranging from $5 a month to $500. The race in the NIL collective world is to stockpile the most cash to distribute to current players so recruits know what they can make once they enroll at the college.

“College football’s a multi-billion dollar business,” Baddour previously told On3. “And just with football, winning matters. And winning is important because it can generate millions of dollars for not just the athletic department but for the entire academic community. In addition, it has a direct impact on the bottom line of businesses all across the state of Tennessee. And it comes down to players. The players win the games. And that’s just the reality.” ...

:rolleyes:
Just simply remove the "student" from the athlete, create a new "semi-pro league, disassociate it from NCAA, pay them all you want.

One thing about unchecked NIL money, it kind of proves the point about inherited wealth and starting point in life. It's not that there is anything really wrong with it, but you can see how it puts others at a disadvantage. Yeah yeah it is a free country, work hard, equal opportunity and all that, but you can not deny it makes it even harder for some to over come the odds of say winning a national championship. I mean it is pretty hard to fail in life and you almost have to be trying to fail if your parents had a few million dollars to help their kids get started. On the other hand, everything has to defy the odds for a person who started with nothing to ever have a million dollars in the bank. And no I am not saying there is a better system or that I know the answer, but I do see how the game is really not fair.

Reactions: Torg
Just simply remove the "student" from the athlete, create a new "semi-pro league, disassociate it from NCAA, pay them all you want.
UFL.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: obfuscating
One thing about unchecked NIL money, it kind of proves the point about inherited wealth and starting point in life. It's not that there is anything really wrong with it, but you can see how it puts others at a disadvantage. Yeah yeah it is a free country, work hard, equal opportunity and all that, but you can not deny it makes it even harder for some to over come the odds of say winning a national championship. I mean it is pretty hard to fail in life and you almost have to be trying to fail if your parents had a few million dollars to help their kids get started. On the other hand, everything has to defy the odds for a person who started with nothing to ever have a million dollars in the bank. And no I am not saying there is a better system or that I know the answer, but I do see how the game is really not fair.
When TF did "fairness" ever enter into it? It has NEVER been about fairness. It was formed as everyone having freedom and opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT