ADVERTISEMENT

Line up next year?

Absolutely room for improvement. 99.9% of all D1 guys have room for that. I just don’t think you’ll find one with less room for improvement in the transfer portal. Guys like Jaydin Eierman and Real Woods being available as transfers is more an exception than a norm, imo.
I do think Abe can make big strides and looks like the weight opens up out of the top 2 or 3 guys. Looks like we have 4 big holes or question marks now for next year and that would be 133, 49, 174, and 197. Based on that we are looking at another year without a title. How long do the coaches have without winning titles. I know number 2 is considered great by most standards, but Iowa is not most places. Does Brands stay around long enough for Spencer to step in?

I do think Abe can make big strides and looks like the weight opens up out of the top 2 or 3 guys. Looks like we have 4 big holes or question marks now for next year and that would be 133, 49, 174, and 197. Based on that we are looking at another year without a title. How long do the coaches have without winning titles. I know number 2 is considered great by most standards, but Iowa is not most places. Does Brands stay around long enough for Spencer to step in?
I would say 149 and 197 are question makes. 133 should be Teske and 174 should be Brands (unless there is something that I am not aware of).

Any chance they put Abe on the Cass workout plan and he wrestles 197 next year?
125- Ayala
133- Teske
141- Woods
149- Chittum
157- Siebrecht
165- Kennedy
174- Brands
184- Arnold
197- Assad
HWT- Cass
Arnold seems thicker than Assad but don’t know height.

Anyone suggesting that Iowa needs a transfer to come in and be better than Abe Assad at 184 next year, is showing how spoiled some of you really are lol.

Abe Assad is really good. Unless Aaron Brooks or Parker Keckeisen are looking for new homes next year you will be hard pressed to find a transfer that is better.
I said in my post if he doesn't AA thus year he should be at risk. That would mean he'd have no AA finishes in 2 years (2020 don't count).

At that point it's fair to kick the tires on potential transfers.

Not saying dump the kid but if someone wants to come challenge for that spot, bring em in.

If he goes to NCAAs and gets on the podium that's a big step forward and I'd feel much better about his future.

Anyone suggesting that Iowa needs a transfer to come in and be better than Abe Assad at 184 next year, is showing how spoiled some of you really are lol.

Abe Assad is really good. Unless Aaron Brooks or Parker Keckeisen are looking for new homes next year you will be hard pressed to find a transfer that is better.

Assad has spoiled us???

Tell Dan Levy GIF by CBC

Reactions: MVPFAN
Next year is going to be interesting. As the rosters stand right now PSU is the likely champion. However if Iowa can upgrade a couple spots with some podium transfers Iowa has a real shot. Ayala, Woods and Cass are all have finals talent. Things potentially open up for Abe.

Bonus points could be a big problem next year for the team race. That and Iowa has a lot of guys you just don't know what your going to get. They could make the championship or they could fall off the podium and everything in-between. Thats been the biggest difference between PSU and Iowa. PSU relies on a few studs that make the championship. Iowa relies on guys that can place anywhere from 2 - off the podium.

Absolutely room for improvement. 99.9% of all D1 guys have room for that. I just don’t think you’ll find one with less room for improvement in the transfer portal. Guys like Jaydin Eierman and Real Woods being available as transfers is more an exception than a norm, imo.
Yea I have to agree. I don;t think Assad is one of the guys you are looking to replace or need to replace. 197 would appear too be the biggest need. I am hoping this Brands riding into the sunset talk is just talk?

174 is definitely weight that needs an upgrade. Brands has yet to prove he has win those big matches.

nothing Nelson does would surprise me very much
Well it would certainly surprise me if he walked away. I get that he isn't exactly like his dad and uncle as far as wrestling maniacs. I also see he seems to be somewhat of a free spirit who enjoys other things. Still, he is pretty darn good and very close to AA caliber.

Not sure what his career path after college is or where he is as far as graduating? Having another year, and I am guessing free tuition because of his dad, would seem to make it an easy choice. Maybe the pressure and demands are getting to him? Seems a little crazy to me!

As far as what people are posting about filling weights. Using Assad and Brands as examples here. No, currently their level is not what brings in championships, we all get that. They are certainly not "holes" in the line up though. You need to have some Hammers who are champion type wrestlers. Would be nice to have 10 of them for sure, but no one has figured out how to do that yet!

We have Woods, BIG Cass, and I am hoping Kennedy who fit the Hammer rolls right now. It appears that Chittum will hit the ground running and be on that list and we need him to be for sure. Ayla, and Teske bring it to 6 very high quality wrestlers. (Cobe I am leaving off for now because I think we need to see more)Add in Assad and Brands and you have 8 of 10 who ALL could be AAs.

Now the formula/ path I see is to add Hammers where you have the biggest need. Right now, without putting any of our great Wrestlers down. I see it as 197, and either 149 or 157 depending on Chittum. Very easy to write this, NOT so easy to do.

Now if a Hammer at another weight suddenly becomes available, do you go after him? YES!!!

Last edited:

We aren’t spoiled. We’re Iowa. 2nd best program in the country. It’s not where we want to be but it ain’t bad. There are horses in the portal every year and Iowa is in good position as a potential destination.

Well it would certainly surprise me if he walked away. I get that he isn't exactly like his dad and uncle as far as wrestling maniacs. I also see he seems to be somewhat of a free spirit who enjoys other things. Still, he is pretty darn good and very close to AA caliber.

Not sure what his career path after college is or where he is as far as graduating? Having another year, and I am guessing free tuition because of his dad, would seem to make it an easy choice. Maybe the pressure and demands are getting to him? Seems a little crazy to me!

No. He does not get free tuition.

I mean they went from 2010 to 2021 and did not seem to be a red hot seat so I would say at least 5 years between championships unless the team has a not performance related sandal, tickets stop selling, or they fall out of the top 10 or so.

Your Brian reference was idiotic. Not as idiotic as your Spencer claim a few weeks ago but that’s tough to top. Maybe impossible.

Brian reference? LMAO. Everyone knows he got that job because of his last name and is not qualified.

Spencer claim? What's funny is that if you actually go back and read that thread, you will see a poster confirmed my comment.

Stay moronic.

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin
Brian reference? LMAO. Everyone knows he got that job because of his last name and is not qualified.

Spencer claim? What's funny is that if you actually go back and read that thread, you will see a poster confirmed my comment.

Stay moronic.
You could claim that Brian is doing a bad job now and should be fired or demoted. You could argue that his name and football pedigree have played a role in his whole life but honestly if another guy had started his career as a scout for a pro team , then promoted to a position coach, had success at that level then moved to a similar position at a power five school and had success in that role that he would be up for a coordinator position. I don't agree with everything Brian has done and it might make sense to fire him but don't act like he walked right into his current role or did not pay any dues.

I would say 149 and 197 are question makes. 133 should be Teske and 174 should be Brands (unless there is something that I am not aware of).
I guess that goes to your definition of a hole or not. I consider 33 and 74 as holes as I don't see either of them doing much more than 1-2 or 2-2 at nationals. That will not win team titles if you have more than a couple of those weights. Right now I would say you could have 33, 49, 57, 74, 84, 97 as questionable for all american next year. I have hope that Chitthum takes 49, Code improves at 57, and I think Abe is better than he has shown. That leaves me with real questions at 33 (let's see how Teske finishes this year), 74, and 97. And 57 is still up in the air as well.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
And at current he said he's not taking it. Unbelievable if it turns out that way.
I didn’t realize he said he wasn’t. Not saying he didn’t. That said RBY wasn’t coming back this year and here he is. Two years from now, who knows.

Jake Woodley is still in the transfer portal. Would be an upgrade at 97 for next year. Idk if there is any interest

Reactions: el dub
Definitely don’t need to upgrade as many weights as some may think. 133 was mentioned and it does clear out some and Teske will only get better I am good with him. 149 was mentioned no thanks Chittum will be Really good. 157 is a weight that I would be interested in upgrading if Seibrect does not make the stand. 174 is a possible issue depending on if Brands comes back or not. 184 is Assad and it would be hard for me to believe you would want to have someone come in when we know Arnold is coming. 197 is a issue right now but Franklin can improve remember most true freshman are not superstars.

How do we match up to the F*** st guys with this line up? I get confused as all hell who has eligibility left with the cvid year?

125 has been a big hole for them and I do not see anyone currently resolving that for them?
133 they lose rby correct? Not sure who is the top recruit coming in for them?
141 woods and Pepe la bue
149 They have van ness hoping we counter with Chittum but he could be at 157?
157 they will have hains we have Cobe or chitum, again not too sure what our best line up would be?
165 Kennedy and fruit cup I am hoping we are better here
174 Guessing it will be brands and that is not our biggest problem. Starfish has another year I believe?
184 Assad but they have whats his face back
197 we both lose our starters, who is able to fill the spotter better?
Heavy BIG Cass and KerKin both back.

So to beat them, the way I see it, we HAVE to be better at 125, 133, 141. We need Chittum to be as billed and be a HAMMER at 49 or 57.

Kennedy being better would also be huge and might be a must win weight also. I am not seeing anyone touching 74-84 but I am hoping I am wrong.

Filling 197 would also go a l o n g way! Franklin may be better then what they currently have? Not sure but I just do not see him as someone who is a high AA, NC guy at least right now. Hope i am wrong and he is still deveohpling!

Heavy lets hope BIG Cass can turn the table back in our favor. Once again I believe us and everyone else will be chasing the kittens, but as was said. We may be a guy or TWOOO away again, but the again is the big thing!!!

We need guys to step in and step it up and maybe one stud transfer.
I think star is looking to be a 5 timer with a covid year.

Definitely don’t need to upgrade as many weights as some may think. 133 was mentioned and it does clear out some and Teske will only get better I am good with him. 149 was mentioned no thanks Chittum will be Really good. 157 is a weight that I would be interested in upgrading if Seibrect does not make the stand. 174 is a possible issue depending on if Brands comes back or not. 184 is Assad and it would be hard for me to believe you would want to have someone come in when we know Arnold is coming. 197 is a issue right now but Franklin can improve remember most true freshman are not superstars.
Any weight without a guy penciled in as an AA should be open game for an upgrade.

ADVERTISEMENT