ADVERTISEMENT

Lineup vs Davidson

I thought it was a good read and the point about Fran sticking to his lineup for long stretches is valid. It drives me nuts sometimes how long he'll stick with things or hold off calling a TO when a team is on a run. Hope if Davidson comes out on fire Fran pulls the trigger quick in a timeout and any lineup adjustments that could help. I'm intrigued by the idea of running out a lineup with White at the 5 and both Clemmons and Gessell. I don't think you do it the whole game, but it's another look to give them trouble.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

so now Davidson is better than Indiana because Crean is their coach, or they are better than Wisconsin, O$U does not have a center, and yet IA beat them twice.

that 247 writer is a nut job but what do you expect from a site that tries to tell people who kids are going to play for,

the starting lineup will remain the same., Uthoff leads the team in blocks at the SF position. MG and Clemmons have played against some of the best PG's around in Paige UNC, Yogi Indiana, Trimble MD and won. does anyone really believe this writer when he said IA was in trouble?

IA has faced teams that use 3 guard offenses and even 4 guard offenses.

my question is why does IA always have to match what the other team does, why not make the other team match what IA does?

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

so now Davidson is better than Indiana because Crean is their coach, or they are better than Wisconsin, O$U does not have a center, and yet IA beat them twice.

that 247 writer is a nut job but what do you expect from a site that tries to tell people who kids are going to play for, 

the starting lineup will remain the same., Uthoff leads the team in blocks at the SF position. MG and Clemmons have played against some of the best PG's around in Paige UNC, Yogi Indiana, Trimble MD and won. does anyone really believe  this writer when he said IA was in trouble?

my question is why does IA always have to match what the other team does,  why not make the other team match what IA  does?
Math. That's the answer. 3 > 2. 3x.4=1.2. 2x.5=1. 1.2>1. If Davidson hits 40% from 3 and Iowa hits 50% from 2, Davidson wins unless Iowa makes up the difference by making 3s (possibly, but they've struggled) or they get a big advantage at the free throw line (again, possible).

Originally posted by hawkeyedude#1:
Great read. Gabe needs to start and play significant minutes Friday night or else we just might find ourselves in a bunch of trouble.

http://iowa.247sports.com/ExternalLink/DAVIDSON-VS-GOLIATH-WHY-IOWAS-SIZE-COULD-BE-ITS-DOWNFALL-36260275?utm_source=247Sports+Newsletter&utm_campaign=83093b38dc-150318_Iowa+Hawkeyes&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5300ae947-83093b38dc-223643797

They'll get their threes but it won't be enough. We should take it inside on our first 10 possessions and if that continues to work don't even take an outside shot. White gets 30 and Uthoff 20, Gabe and Woody 10 each and we foul out a couple of their guys as they hopelessly try to keep us from taking it to the rim. Gesell, Jok and Clemmons combine for 15 more and its a blowout.

The tourney is usually called pretty tight compared to the Big Ten. If that's the case, it's going to be a struggle for them to keep us from scoring inside and getting to the line. The big questions will be 1) if they can hit enough 3's at a neutral site or 2) will the refs be tempted to call offensive fouls or ticky tack rebounding fouls to make the foul count "even up" in the box score. We've all heard the 40% from 3, but they are 45% from the arc at home and 35% on the road.

Originally posted by icparkerhawk:

that 247 writer is a nut job but what do you expect from a site that tries to tell people who kids are going to play for,Â

the starting lineup will remain the same., Uthoff leads the team in blocks at the SF position. MG and Clemmons have played against some of the best PG's around in Paige UNC, Yogi Indiana, Trimble MD and won. does anyone really believe  this writer when he said IA was in trouble?

my question is why does IA always have to match what the other team does, why not make the other team match what IA does?
Math. That's the answer. 3 > 2. 3x.4=1.2. 2x.5=1. 1.2>1. If Davidson hits 40% from 3 and Iowa hits 50% from 2, Davidson wins unless Iowa makes up the difference by making 3s (possibly, but they've struggled) or they get a big advantage at the free throw line (again, possible).

While I agree Iowa should play 3 guards a lot, your math has a giant error. Indiana shot 25 threes out of a total of 60 shots (~ 45% of shots taken.) Iowa had 54 total shot attempts. If Davidson only jacks up 3s and hits 40% of 60 shot attempts then Iowa's in trouble.

Great read. Gabe needs to start and play significant minutes Friday night or else we just might find ourselves in a bunch of trouble.

http://iowa.247sports.com/ExternalLink/DAVIDSON-VS-GOLIATH-WHY-IOWAS-SIZE-COULD-BE-ITS-DOWNFALL-36260275?utm_source=247Sports+Newsletter&utm_campaign=83093b38dc-150318_Iowa+Hawkeyes&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5300ae947-83093b38dc-223643797
That article is a joke. Why would be scared of Davidson and their undersized team. The analogies they use are crazy. Davidson is neither ISU or Wisconsin. Both those teams would blow Davidson off the court. They are also assuming that Davidson will force Iowa into their game That's a big if. If Davidson get's forced into an up tempo game from Iowa they will get blown of the court.

I don't see us losing this game.

the starting lineup will remain the same., Uthoff leads the team in blocks at the SF position. MG and Clemmons have played against some of the best PG's around in Paige UNC, Yogi Indiana, Trimble MD and won. does anyone really believe this writer when he said IA was in trouble?

my question is why does IA always have to match what the other team does, why not make the other team match what IA does?

Your math assumes Davidson shoots as many 3's as Iowa shoots 2's. Unlikely.

It also doesn't take into account Iowa offensive rebounds which are highly likely.

I expect Davidson to shoot a higher percentage than Iowa and make 40% of their 3's but lose due to Iowa second chance points and a wide free throw disparity.

40% of how many shots?!? People are totally blowing the 3 thing out of proportion to reality. If 100% of their shots are 3's I guarantee Iowa wins.

The writer makes logical points and you dismiss him as a nut job. You didn't talk about Woodbury at all and the author's main point was that Davidson will take advantage of Woodbury because he isn't quick enough to guard someone who can shoot a 3 and drive. Why does Iowa have to match what the other team does? That is why, because if we play our starters they have an advantage. It is a good thing though because we can change some things and get a better matchup for us on defense but when they are on defense they won't really be able to match up as well and we should have a big advantage with White and Uthoff.

Originally posted by Fly4444:

my question is why does IA always have to match what the other team does,  why not make the other team match what IA  does?
The writer makes logical points and you dismiss him as a nut job. You didn't talk about Woodbury at all and the author's main point was that Davidson will take advantage of Woodbury because he isn't quick enough to guard someone who can shoot a 3 and drive. Why does Iowa have to match what the other team does? That is why, because if we play our starters they have an advantage. It is a good thing though because we can change some things and get a better matchup for us on defense but when they are on defense they won't really be able to match up as well and we should have a big advantage with White and Uthoff. 
One of the few times Kilroy was actually right on here. If Iowa plays their starters, they have the advantage in my opinion. Davidson cannot make up that height, and if we snug the three-point line, they will have to shoot 35 foot three pointers.

Originally posted by Arbor1:
40% of how many shots?!? People are totally blowing the 3 thing out of proportion to reality. If 100% of their shots are 3's I guarantee Iowa wins.
40% of roughly 27 3s is there average. Roughly 11 made threes. 47% overall (so higher on twos exclusively). If you assume, conservatively, that they hit 47% from 2 then, you get just over 15 made 2s on average. Grand tota of just over 63 points (add in FTs and account for a higher % on 2s since 47 is skewed down for the 40% 3% and you get to their roughly 80 ppg). Iowa, on the other hand, shoots about 33% from 3 and attempts just over 17 a game for 5.5 makes a game from 3. Just south of 43% shooting overall and you get about 16.5 made 2s a game. Grand total of just south of 50 (compared to 63 for Davidson). Add in the FTs and higher % on 2s and you get our average of 69 ppg.

The math isn't in our favor. We have to slow down their 3s (being away from their hs gym should help), limit second chances and score efficiently. If Jok or Oglesby or Uthoff is on, we might be ok, but I think we need a 3 pt threat to compete here. Just scoring in the paint won't do it unless we find a way to get off about 7-8 more shots than normal. It's possible given Davidson plays poor D, but I think we probably need to consider some adjustments. This the point of the article. Or we can act all high and mighty and watch the board implode Friday night when they knock down 15 treys on us to win by a dozen or so.

I don't agree with that article. Davidson doesn't have a Niang or anywhere near the athletes that ISU has.

Originally posted by longliveCS40:

It also doesn't take into account Iowa offensive rebounds which are highly likely.

I expect Davidson to shoot a higher percentage than Iowa and make 40% of their 3's but lose due to Iowa second chance points and a wide free throw disparity.
The math was simplified due to being on mobile and responding to Kilroy. I provided some more detail. I could go full geek, but I don't think it's worth the time. There's a reason they average 11 points a game more than us. Some of it is due to competition, but they can flat out shoot and they let it fly from downtown. They dropped 72 (I think) on Virginia. Go look at some of Virginia's scores.

This guy really didn't do his homework before writing this article. Just look in previous games this year against UNC and Virginia and it shows that size was a huge factor in Davidson losing. In their game vs UNC, they were out scored in the paint 44-22 by UNC. Against Virginia they were out scored 40-26 in the paint and out rebounded 42-25. This team struggles against teams with size, yet all everybody talks about is Davidson's 3 point shooting.

BTW kilroy, you're attacking the wrong person. The article is an external link, it's not written by anyone from 247. It was written by a writer for Black Heart Gold Pants.
This post was edited on 3/18 5:27 PM by hawkeyefanatic84

I did not mention Woody because with Fran it never matters who starts, I have seen games where Woody get 18-19 minutes and Gabe gets 25 this may be a game where they play at the same time to further their height advantage, also who on that team can guard/keep up with White. or Uthoff, White during IA's 6 game winning streak was 62% from 3. Uthoff was 38.6% from 3.

when Jok is on he looks to be IA's best 3 point shooter. this nut job dismissed IA's ability to shoot the 3. and blabs like the only team in that game that can/will shoots 3 will be Davidson, even MG hit a 3 in the other game after hurting his elbow. even Clemmons was 18-52 for 34.6% from 3 and according to coaches shooting 33% from 3 = 50% from 2,

for example against NW they were 8-20 from 3 for 40% vs IA who was 8-25 from 3 for 32%
Indiana was 10-25 40% from 3. IA was 4-12 for 33.3% and yet IA won them both.

sorry just because they shot 40% from 3 does not mean that IA is in trouble. the only thing this team needs to do is shake losing on a neutral court, but even then you have to take into account who it was that they lost too and give those teams credit.

He did his homework, but did leave some things out. Ohio State is an extreme guard-oriented team that plays 4 guards around Amir Williams, and Iowa beat them twice.

When teams that have opposite strengths, the team that is able to impose its strengths on the other is the one that will usually win. As evidenced by the games Iowa won and lost, Iowa has been successful against small teams, and has lost to some others. Welcome to basketball

Davidson is very good on offense, they will likely have some success spreading the floor and hitting 3's. But Davidson's defense against Iowa's offense is a matchup that favors Iowa heavily. For Iowa to win (or have a chance to win) it just needs to not let Davidson's offense go wild and do something like put up 125 points per 100 possessions.

UNC caused Davidson a lot of trouble by getting in passing lanes, turning steals and missed shots into dunks and layups on the other end. Iowa doesn't turn over teams like UNC does, but UNC's bigs basically did whatever they wanted. Virginia plays far better defense than does Iowa, but their offenses are comparable. And Virginia put up an offensive efficiency of 133 in that game. Davidson's offense was very good against Virginia, but the defense got taken apart.

My personal feeling is that Olaseni needs to play a big role. He has dominated smaller teams, and needs to do so again. Iowa has to find a way to stay in front of Davidson's guards with a minimum of help. When you start helping on drivers, then guys at the 3-point line end up with open looks.

My personal feeling is that Olaseni needs to play a big role. He has dominated smaller teams, and needs to do so again. Iowa has to find a way to stay in front of Davidson's guards with a minimum of help. When you start helping on drivers, then guys at the 3-point line end up with open looks.

This......don't let them suck you down into the lane. Maintain solid man to man and don't leave your guy on the perimeter.

Woodbury will be eight inches taller than the player guarding him. Woodbury hasn't been playing well but he could very well feast on his tiny opponents. Its not like Woodbury cannot have good games, he just hasn't recently. He also hasn't been guarded by guys between 6'4" and 6'6".

I cannot imagine any basketball coach that would like playing a game in which he has such a pronounced and deep size disadvantage as the Wildcats will face against Iowa.

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
Woodbury will be eight inches taller than the player guarding him. Woodbury hasn't been playing well but he could very well feast on his tiny opponents. Its not like Woodbury cannot have good games, he just hasn't recently. He also hasn't been guarded by guys between 6'4" and 6'6".

I cannot imagine any basketball coach that would like playing a game in which he has such a pronounced and deep size disadvantage as the Wildcats will face against Iowa.
I hope Woody tears it up, but to get anything out of his mismatch, he needs to keep the damn ball above his head or he'll be getting blocked by 6'3 guys all day.

You either don't watch the games or you are the dumbest basketball fan on the planet.

This post was edited on 3/18 9:53 PM by hawkeyesports92

Originally posted by Arbor1:
40% of roughly 27 3s is there average. Roughly 11 made threes. 47% overall (so higher on twos exclusively). If you assume, conservatively, that they hit 47% from 2 then, you get just over 15 made 2s on average. Grand tota of just over 63 points (add in FTs and account for a higher % on 2s since 47 is skewed down for the 40% 3% and you get to their roughly 80 ppg). Iowa, on the other hand, shoots about 33% from 3 and attempts just over 17 a game for 5.5 makes a game from 3. Just south of 43% shooting overall and you get about 16.5 made 2s a game. Grand total of just south of 50 (compared to 63 for Davidson). Add in the FTs and higher % on 2s and you get our average of 69 ppg.

The math isn't in our favor. We have to slow down their 3s (being away from their hs gym should help), limit second chances and score efficiently. If Jok or Oglesby or Uthoff is on, we might be ok, but I think we need a 3 pt threat to compete here. Just scoring in the paint won't do it unless we find a way to get off about 7-8 more shots than normal. It's possible given Davidson plays poor D, but I think we probably need to consider some adjustments. This the point of the article. Or we can act all high and mighty and watch the board implode Friday night when they knock down 15 treys on us to win by a dozen or so.
They have not shot 3's well on the road which means they will probably hit 50% against us. We win this game if the refs call it close and we make our FT's.

If we play White at the 5 and Uthoff at the 4 we are in some serious trouble. Can't believe someone thinks that's a good idea. As like all year Woodbury and Olesani will split the minutes and Fran will play who's ever playing the best the most. Which based on the match up should be Olesani. When Iowa has lost this year it's not because of Woodbury. It's been the guard play.

Originally posted by DodgerHawki:

, but UNC's bigs basically did whatever they wanted. Virginia plays far better defense than does Iowa, but their offenses are comparable. And Virginia put up an offensive efficiency of 133 in that game. Davidson's offense was very good against Virginia, but the defense got taken apart.
That's my point, UNC's and Virginia's big men did whatever they wanted offensively when they played them. UNC's 3 main big men (Meeks, Johnson, and Hicks) combined for 37 points, 23 boards, and 6 blocks and Virginia's 3 main big men (Gill, Tobey, and Atkins) combined for 42 points and 30 boards. We need to work the ball down low to our big men to abuse the advantage. It's worked in the past, and it can work again.

Originally posted by longliveCS40:

that 247 writer is a nut job but what do you expect from a site that tries to tell people who kids are going to play for,Â

my question is why does IA always have to match what the other team does, why not make the other team match what IA does?

The math was simplified due to being on mobile and responding to Kilroy. I provided some more detail. I could go full geek, but I don't think it's worth the time. There's a reason they average 11 points a game more than us. Some of it is due to competition, but they can flat out shoot and they let it fly from downtown. They dropped 72 (I think) on Virginia. Go look at some of Virginia's scores.
Does either team's defense figure into it, or are they just playing HORSE?

Originally posted by Colorado_Hawk:
I don't agree with that article. Davidson doesn't have a Niang or anywhere near the athletes that ISU has.
Not to mention the Niang Woodbury matchup was not at all the reason Iowa lost, it was because they turned the ball over (unforced) six out of seven trips down the court to start the second half without even getting a shot off, and ISU scored every time basically uncontested. It was an incredibly stupid stretch of basketball by Iowa. They've matured allot since then and don't generally have long stretches of idiotic play anymore. Although Clemons still has his moments.

iowa has allot more options than Davidson. In addition to going with Gabe or going smaller with White at the 5, we can still play zone which neutralizes their pick n roll/slip/pop action and just forces them to either shoot long contested threes or to try and drive around us. And we will take that all day.

I do think well see more Gabe in this game because he's much better at moving in space, scoring on the block and offensive rebounding. Iowa should not allow a defensive rebound inside the paint in this game.

Originally posted by kzoohawk80:
If we play White at the 5 and Uthoff at the 4 we are in some serious trouble. Can't believe someone thinks that's a good idea. As like all year Woodbury and Olesani will split the minutes and Fran will play who's ever playing the best the most. Which based on the match up should be Olesani. When Iowa has lost this year it's not because of Woodbury. It's been the guard play.
Why would Iowa be in trouble? I think it's a look that could be very successful.

If we run Jok, Ogs, Uthoff and White with either pg we still have a huge size advantage and it allows for quicker D, more shooting on our end, and for White or Uthoff to operate one on one on the block against a guard with 4 guys around them that can shoot to keep the floor spaced.

I think we could kill them with this lineup.

Originally posted by RocknRollface:

Originally posted by Colorado_Hawk:
Not to mention the Niang Woodbury matchup was not at all the reason Iowa lost, it was because they turned the ball over (unforced) six out of seven trips down the court to start the second half without even getting a shot off,  and ISU scored every time basically uncontested.  It was an incredibly stupid stretch of basketball by Iowa.  They've matured allot since then and don't generally have long stretches of idiotic play anymore. Although Clemons still has his moments.

iowa has allot more options than Davidson. In addition to going with Gabe or going smaller with White at the 5, we can still play zone which neutralizes their pick n roll/slip/pop action and just forces them to either shoot long contested threes or to try and drive around us. And we will take that all day.

I do think well see more Gabe in this game because he's much better at moving in space, scoring on the block and offensive rebounding. Iowa should not allow a defensive rebound inside the paint in this game.

I don't think a little matchup zone where we reach the shooters is a bad idea at all. Wouldn't be surprised if we see some of it with the way Fran mixes things up on D.

Originally posted by RocknRollface:

Why would Iowa be in trouble? I think it's a look that could be very successful.

If we run Jok, Ogs, Uthoff and White with either pg we still have a huge size advantage and it allows for quicker D, more shooting on our end, and for White or Uthoff to operate one on one on the block against a guard with 4 guys around them that can shoot to keep the floor spaced.

There's defensive rotations in basketball and they are different for every position. White hasn't played center all year. White also isn't great at rotations anyway. Now your asking him to rotate at a position he doesn't play. Plus if we are going to play our 3 guards against there's; be honest who's guards would you want?

I almost quit reading the article when the author stated that Iowa was ahead of ISU by five at half. This is not true at all, Iowa was down five at half. Hard to trust an author when the first premise of their article is categorically wrong, but I gave it a chance and he did make some interesting observations.

Davidson has the ability to shoot the ball, and I don't think it would shock anyone if they were able to beat us Friday.

While I agree with the math of 3 is greater than 2, however there are some things that Iowa is very good at which helps negate that math.

Iowa is a great rebounding team, much better than Davidson. It's vital to keep three point shooting teams to one shot, because shooting percentages go way up when the ball is kicked out from the paint on an offensive rebound. Also, getting offensive rebounds essentially means extra possessions for Iowa, which negates some of that math advantage.

Next, Iowa gets to the free throw line a lot. (This year Iowa MADE more free throws than our opponents attempted) Those free throws can go a long way to help throw the math back in our favor.

Math has also consistently shown that Davidson does not shoot anywhere near as well away from home, while I believe Iowa's shooting percentage is negligible home and away.

Do we have some things going against us? Sure. But I also think we have some advantages that aren't being factored.

I would think the game plan should be for the IOWA guards to get the ball across the half-court. This game is up to how IOWA handles the game in the paint.

By the numbers, I would say the game will be won by second chances.

This post was edited on 3/18 11:05 PM by Floyd_Of_Rosedale

If we run Jok, Ogs, Uthoff and White with either pg we still have a huge size advantage and it allows for quicker D, more shooting on our end, and for White or Uthoff to operate one on one on the block against a guard with 4 guys around them that can shoot to keep the floor spaced.[/B]

There's defensive rotations in basketball and they are different for every position. White hasn't played center all year. White also isn't great at rotations anyway. Now your asking him to rotate at a position he doesn't play. Plus if we are going to play our 3 guards against there's; be honest who's guards would you want?
Defensive rotations in man to man are determined by where the initial defensive breakdown occurs. Closest man steps up to stop penetration of the free offensive player and everyone else rotates based on proximity to the next man that gets left until everyone is on someone. There's no such thing as rotation by position. It's all determined by where the offensive player they are guarding is at on the floor. If Davidson plays 5 guys on the perimeter Woodbury is not going to be better suited to do anything out there over White.

Now when they zone, it's Woody or Gabe in the middle for sure.

I did not mention Woody because with Fran it never matters who starts, I have seen games where Woody get 18-19 minutes and Gabe gets 25 this may be a game where they play at the same time to further their height advantage, also who on that team can guard/keep up with White. or Uthoff, White during IA's 6 game winning streak was 62% from 3. Uthoff was 38.6% from 3.

when Jok is on he looks to be IA's best 3 point shooter. this nut job dismissed IA's ability to shoot the 3. and blabs like the only team in that game that can/will shoots 3 will be Davidson, even MG hit a 3 in the other game after hurting his elbow. even Clemmons was 18-52 for 34.6% from 3 and according to coaches shooting 33% from 3 = 50% from 2,

for example against NW they were 8-20 from 3 for 40% vs IA who was 8-25 from 3 for 32%
Indiana was 10-25 40% from 3. IA was 4-12 for 33.3% and yet IA won them both.

sorry just because they shot 40% from 3 does not mean that IA is in trouble. the only thing this team needs to do is shake losing on a neutral court, but even then you have to take into account who it was that they lost too and give those teams credit.
Highly unlikely....we'll see a lineup minus both Gabe/Woody before we see them on the floor at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT