ADVERTISEMENT

Lions safety (his hit ended Hockenson's season) takes out another Tight End with a hit to the knees

Agreed, I played defense my entire career and it is frustrating seeing what defenders have to deal with.
Over 50% of "TARGETING" is a result of the offensive player turning his head, seeing the defender, and dropping down to brace for the hit, which then creates the helmet to helmet contact.
There needs to be protection for players but you just can't take away every violent part of a violent game, a game in which these players know is violent and every one may be their last.
We don't tell boxers to stop using uppercuts because they look the worst in slow motion. Sorry rant over.
Defensive backs get away with murder anymore. They need to enforce the Pass Interference penalty.

It's a tough balance, for sure. Take a guy's legs out when he's running, he stops running. In doing so, the player's knees are exposed to some violent hits forcing knees to go in a direction they weren't intended to go. Hit him higher and he can drag you for another 5 yards, if not break free altogether, possibly costing your team a game. By and large, I don't think defenders are trying to hurt an offensive player with those tackles. I think they all respect that they're playing a violent sport but don't want to do something intentionally or otherwise that will ruin/end a guy's career because they are one play away from it happening to themselves. To quote our man, It's complicated. There just isn't a solution that is risk free short of ending the game of football as we know it.
Bull sh**. He knows full and well what will most likely happen tackling the way he did. He had plenty of time to close on both Higbee and Hockenson and deliver a different hit.

These guys know what they're doing.

Bull sh**. He knows full and well what will most likely happen tackling the way he did. He had plenty of time to close on both Higbee and Hockenson and deliver a different hit.

These guys know what they're doing.
It's never all, for sure, that's why I elected to write, by and large, my later phrasing in my post was a little sloppy. There's always some headhunters (knee hunters) out there. You'd like to think in a karma-filled world they get a return favor, but I still hold that most of the guys aren't trying to hurt another player.

Wrap him up and hope a teammate shows up to help? What point are you trying to make?
We were coached to take big guys low. We played a 250 rb who ran so low he was nothing but shoulder pads and knees. If you hit him in the pads you ended up 10 yards down field. We tackled him low.
I suspect the player in question was coached to do the same thing.

We were coached to take big guys low. We played a 250 rb who ran so low he was nothing but shoulder pads and knees. If you hit him in the pads you ended up 10 yards down field. We tackled him low.
I suspect the player in question was coached to do the same thing.

Yeah totally. Unfortunately, you end up with injuries like this especially in the middle of the field. The same play took out All earlier this year.

The difference I don't think anyone's mentioned yet (pardon me if already mentioned) is that in Higbee and Hockensen's cases, they are looking the ball into their hands and don't see the low hit coming. I think it's possible to adapt rules so that with a defenseless receiver, the defender can't go high to the neck/head and can't go at or below the knee (with at or below the knee not applying if the receiver is airborne). Defender must either wrap up or hit thigh or torso. Once the receiver has secured the ball and shifts their focus to the location of defenders, etc., the defender can go low.

I think this is doable.

In the NHL the players would have taken care of a dirt bag like this safey in the very same game. Hockey is different as it is free flowing and many players on the field wont get close to a safety. But sometimes it is good to call a running play to get that guy in a pile and as the old ref said "give him the business", still one of the great ref lines ever.

Claude Lemieux of the Colo Avalanche, years ago, put a severe dirty hit on an opposing player in the playoffs. The hit was right near the end of the game so he wasnt even on the ice anymore.

But the teams met two days later and Claude, who wasnt a big guy but a fast great skater, knew what he had coming. He was on the ice for the opening faceoff and as several opponents moved closer to him he just turtled on the ice and they started pummeling him. Did about everything but spear him with a stick. Got to hurt having grown men blast their forearms repeatedly across your neck and the back of your head.

Of course I loved Claude when he was on my teams but hated him at Colo.
Hockey does it right.

The minute the refs huddle up to discuss and are pre-occupied...

giphy.gif

The difference I don't think anyone's mentioned yet (pardon me if already mentioned) is that in Higbee and Hockensen's cases, they are looking the ball into their hands and don't see the low hit coming. I think it's possible to adapt rules so that with a defenseless receiver, the defender can't go high to the neck/head and can't go at or below the knee (with at or below the knee not applying if the receiver is airborne). Defender must either wrap up or hit thigh or torso. Once the receiver has secured the ball and shifts their focus to the location of defenders, etc., the defender can go low.

I think this is doable.
That's what I'd go to the league with if I'm heading the NFLPA.

Yes I get there needs to be some compromise, but the last thing the league needs to be hearing is guys when asked about going low at the knees and risking significant injury to anyone they hit, including Golden Boys like Patrick Mahomes, saying "What else do you expect us to do?".................

That's not good.

That's what I'd go to the league with if I'm heading the NFLPA.

Yes I get there needs to be some compromise, but the last thing the league needs to be hearing is guys when asked about going low at the knees and risking significant injury to anyone they hit, including Golden Boys like Patrick Mahomes, saying "What else do you expect us to do?".................

That's not good.
My other suggestion based off something that drives me nuts is if a QB leave the pocket and is not in a sliding motion he is fair game. The "driving into the ground" penalty needs to be done with at that point

On Christmas Eve, TJ's season ended with a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee as a result of the Lions' Kerby Joseph's hit to his knees.

Last night Kerby Joseph injured the Rams' tight end, Tyler Higbee, with the same type of hit.

At the end of this story, 3 beat writers weigh in.

Lions' safety (Kerby Joseph) who injured Vikings' TJ Hockenson hits Rams' Tyler Higbee in knee

Joseph is being criticized for low hits on opposing tight ends.

Kerby Joseph is making a name for himself as a player known for hitting receivers at the knees.

The Detroit Lions safety's hit on T.J. Hockenson on Christmas Eve ended the star Vikings tight end's season as he suffered a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee. Joseph was not called for a penalty and wasn't fined by the league after the fact.

Joseph was at it again Sunday night when he buried his body into the right knee of Tyler Higbee, forcing the Rams tight end's knee to awkwardly bend and send him limping to the sideline.

Here's a replay of Joseph's Dec. 24 hit on Hockenson.

"Kerby Joseph did the same thing to T.J. Hockenson. That’s absolutely atrocious," wrote Vikings beat writer Alec Lewis, of The Athletic.

"Kerby Joseph just got Tyler Higbee the same way he got T.J. Hockenson. Hopefully a better prognosis for Higbee," posted ESPN's Kevin Seifert on X.

The Star Tribune's Vikings beat writer Andrew Krammer wrote on X: "So Kerby Joseph just targets knees?"

Tyler Higbee's ACL was indeed torn as a result of the hit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT