ADVERTISEMENT

Live Switch to Color TV in Iowa

Was that the first time? It was in Iowa? Didn't know that if true.

Here is Australia's version

Reactions: ItsinourDNA
Was that the first time? It was in Iowa? Didn't know that if true.

I found information for this event on another YT video. It wasn’t the first. That happened in 1951. This is when this station in Iowa switched to color for it’s local news broadcasts

“Video of WMT-TV switching from black and white to color broadcasts

WMT-TV Channel 2 in Iowa switched from its black and white programming to color for the very first time during a news report that took place on April 14, 1967.

The news show started with news anchor Bob Bruner and station manager Doug Grant sitting together talking about what viewers could expect. It was when Bruner went over to a separate desk across the stage, that the change took place.

Bruner stated that he was honored but perhaps slightly puzzled as to why he was chosen to announce the change. "I feel doubly honored to have been chosen to be the first one involved in our big change because there are so many much more colorful characters around here than this report in the news".”

Reactions: h-hawk
Man I'm old. I remember Bob Bruner very well.

Bruner, Dave Shay, Conrad Johnson, even Tait Cummings were on WMT back in the day. They dominated the CR local news market until roughly the time they went from WMT to KGAN, and have been mostly terrible ever since.

That must have been an exciting moment for all seven families who owned a color television at the time.
😉😉 I remember in the 8th grade I was so fascinated to watch the TV at my friends house because her parents had the only color TV in the neighborhood. 1962.
I still watch Perry Mason and Twilight Zone reruns now and then though, in good old black and white.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT