ADVERTISEMENT

Living Legends in Music

Not sure how Ozzy could not be Ultra Premium.

Angus Young
Nikki Sixx
Joe Elliot

Each of those four have sold at least 3 times the amount of albums as Dave Grohl

...and before you saw it was a different generation where people bought albums. Black Ice was just another album for AC/DC in 2008. It also sold two or three times as many copies more than anything The Foo Fighers put out.
What is your source for sales on this? I'm not disputing, just curious. Will add them to different places in the list. Ozzy is close to ultra premium. May move up yet.

What is your source for sales on this? I'm not disputing, just curious. Will add them to different places in the list. Ozzy is close to ultra premium. May move up yet.

Simple searches like that.

Actually had to look around a bit...must of been trying to not do something else :)

While there can be some sort of argument that sales is not the end all....it probably does mean much more than awards voted on by a handful of people....sales is votes by people that pay for their vote

Last edited:
Oh...and while Bruce Dickenson wasn't in the band to start....he is the voice of Iron Maiden.

How many others have survived throat cancer and got back on tour....while moonlighting as one of the bands pilots?

b1_ed_force_one_banner_tcm36-54552.jpg

I don't think it is on this list but I would have to think Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys would be included.
Just bought tickets to see them next month. I was bummed to see Brian isn't in the line-up. I think I'm getting Mike Love, Bruce Johnston and John Stamos. I really wish Al and Brian would be on the tour, though. Regardless, it'll be a fun night. I'm taking my 76-yo mom.

Reactions: iowahaha1
Celine Dion? Really? Sure she had a few #1 adult contemporary/billboard hits but it's been 25 years since the height of her career. I only know the song from Titanic honestly. I know she's adored in Vegas, but so what?

Reactions: EasyHawk
Who is still out there that you would consider a living legend regardless of music style?

Is there an ultra-premium subset (bolded?)

Paul McCartney
Stevie Wonder
Bob Dylan

Garth Brooks
Placido Domingo
Elton John
Mick Jagger
Neil Young
Sting
Dr Dre
Dave Grohl
Yo-yo Ma
Herbie Hancock
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Ozzy Osbourne

honorary add to the list due to personal bias: Bob Mould
Rod Stewart
Ron Isley
Diana Ross
Daryl Hall
Cat Stevens
Johnny Rivers
Don Henley
Barry Gibbs
Jeff Lynne
Jackson Browne

Robbie Robertson should get some mention. The Band is considered one of the greatest RR groups ever and he was the one writing most of the music.

I'd also move Knopfler off the bottom list. The man can play a mean guitar with a voice like smooth bourbon.

Good list and great topic.

You sonuvabitch!

I think this list needs to be shrunk to those over say 65. I don’t consider musicians in their 50s or early 60s “Living” Legends.

I think Rick Nielson and Robin Zander of Cheap Trick fame deserve a place somewhere on the lists.

Reactions: CarterHall
Long thread, but I thought I'd add a few in case they haven't been mentioned.

Stanley Clarke
Buddy Guy
Billy Cobham
Al Di Meola
Stevie Wonder

Brenda Lee recently hit #1 and is among a very short list of performers in both the Rock n roll HOF and the Country Music HOF. She probably deserved living legend status earlier but hitting number 1 in 2023 after an already HOF career seals it for me.

-Björn Ulvaeus, Agnetha Faltskog, Benny Anderson, and Ani-Frid Lyngstad (Abba)

Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber

Wayne Newton

Frankie Valli

Brian Wilson, Mike Love, and Al Jardine, the giants of Surf Rock

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
-Björn Ulvaeus, Agnetha Faltskog, Benny Anderson, and Ani-Frid Lyngstad (Abba)

Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber

Wayne Newton

Frankie Valli

Brian Wilson, Mike Love, and Al Jardine, the giants of Surf Rock
Are the members of ABBA living legends if most people don’t even know their names? Their music is well known and perhaps legendary, but I don’t know that it makes them living legends themselves.

If you said The Beach Boys, most people over 40 could name say Brian Wilson. You probably need to find people in their 50s or 60s to get the other names you mentioned, but Brian is definitely a household name and living legend status.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
ADVERTISEMENT