ADVERTISEMENT

Looks Like Hoiberg To Nebby Is Done Deal

Great news if it is true.Big Ten has MUCH higher academic standards than the Big XI. Not going to be able to bring in transfers that can't make the grade like many of the straight up thugs he landed at ISU. Debbie gonna suck. I'd be more worried about Miles getting an extension as Miles is a better college coach IMHO.

Reactions: WadeWilson
This has been in the news for the last month and to my knowledge I haven’t heard Hoiberg deny any of the rumors. He really hasn’t anything to lose and if he turns the program into a constant contender he’ll be idolized in Husker lore.

Great news if it is true.Big Ten has MUCH higher academic standards than the Big XI. Not going to be able to bring in transfers that can't make the grade like many of the straight up thugs he landed at ISU. Debbie gonna suck. I'd be more worried about Miles getting an extension as Miles is a better college coach IMHO.
Almost half of the early transfers Fred took came FROM the Big Ten. They apparently could make it into Big Ten institutions.

Reactions: garberhawkeye
I hope they have a backroom deal with Hoiberg and Debby wins the NIT and the AD looks like a jackass firing Miles right after.
I think they have had a verbalized deal for weeks now. Even if Miles had made the NCAA he was done.

Damn good coach.

The B1G just got more difficult.

I like that Nebraska doesn’t settle for crap level basketball. You’re a nice guy who works hard and tells jokes? **** you. You don’t win enough. Goodbye.

They might never be good but it won’t be for lack of trying.

I can respect that.

... as opposed to — You’re an arrogant jerk who’s under .500 in the league after 9 years? Here’s a raise and extension and huge buyout (but shhhhhh don’t tell anyone).

Damn good coach.

I like that Nebraska doesn’t settle for crap level basketball. You’re a nice guy who works hard and tells jokes? **** you. You don’t win enough. Goodbye.

I can respect that.

... as opposed to — You’re an arrogant jerk who’s under .500 in the league after 9 years? Here’s a raise and extension and huge buyout (but shhhhhh don’t tell anyone).
Miles played in one NCAA tournament six years ago. Last night's NIT game was his first postseason win. His average finish in the B10 is about 10th. Fran would've been fired by now too with those results.

Damn good coach.

I can respect that.

I know. The storied history of Nebraska basketball goes back for eons. I wish we 35 national championships and 200 final four appearances.

Believe me, Hawk fans have been hoping to get rid of this guy for years.
Some "fans". A small minority.

Barta is pretty well respected. Some of you idiots want to fire every coach, assistant coach, and administrator if Iowa isn't winning national championships in every sport.

I know. The storied history of Nebraska basketball goes back for eons. I wish we 35 national championships and 200 final four appearances.

Lolz

Could have said exactly the same thing about perennial doormat, Wisconsin, in about 1999. They said “enough” hired the right people and invested heavily in the program. 20 years later they have multiple B1G championships, 10 sweet sixteens and 2 final fours to Iowa’s .... ZERO of those things during the same period.

It all starts with an institutional will not to settle. Nebraska is demonstrating it. Will it pay off? Who knows. There are no guarantees but it beats not even trying.

Last edited:
I've seen three or four definite Cyclone responses but I've read one or two hundred Hawk responses. Makes you wonder who has the burn...major bum.

That tends to happen when you live on an Iowa message board and spend as much time as you do here. Try going to an isu board. Took me 2 min to see plenty of talk and threads on him there.

The academic differences (B10 vs B12) of getting players in isnt as big of a deal as you suggest.

I highly doubt Hoiberg will have any troubles recruiting there.

I've seen three or four definite Cyclone responses but I've read one or two hundred Hawk responses. Makes you wonder who has the burn...major bum.

Burn? I could give 2 shits about Hoiberg...it would be fun to watch him go to a neighboring school though, as I can't stand the clones.

BTW, you're on a Hawk board, maybe that's why you're seeing more Hawk responses...mostly for the reason above. Rocket science...I know...but hey, you're from Nebraska.

If he were to got to Kansas...that would be interesting. Much better job...KU has serious hoops tradition.

Last edited:
Reactions: unIowa
Hoiberg has had over a month to dismiss this rumor...I think it’s a done deal also. Grand slam hire by Nebraska! I’m not a Fran hater but I do feel a little envious. Don’t see the Huskers finishing at the bottom of the standings most seasons with the style of play he installs and the players he’ll bring in to play it.

Some "fans". A small minority.

Barta is pretty well respected. Some of you idiots want to fire every coach, assistant coach, and administrator if Iowa isn't winning national championships in every sport.

Gotta disagree with this. I don't get the sense that he's widely respected. I know people care way more about the money sports, but Iowa brings up the rear in most sports that don't bring in the revenue that football and MBB do. And Iowa has one of the largest athletic budgets of any NCAA school, so there's no excuse to not be competitive across the board.

The biggest beef I have with Barta is that he does not hold Ferentz and Mac accountable. If anything, he's riding their coattails and rewards them with frivolous contract extensions after one big season. I'm fine with the football program, but I'm tired of Mac's schtick. The basketball program can do better because it has been better. These ridiculous buyouts make getting a replacement extremely difficult, and I wouldn't trust Barta to make the best available hire. He's the one who hired Lick after all.

Some of you have mentioned an element of validity due to Hoiberg not dismissing the rumors. There would be no benefit for Hoiberg to address any job rumors to Nebraska or otherwise. It only hinders his ability to negotiate a contract and pushes other interested schools to throw our their best offers. An unemployed coach in the midst of contract negotiations should never dispel rumors of other opportunities.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT