ADVERTISEMENT

Loss of confidence-anyone else?

Dauminator

HB All-American
Nov 7, 2002
Despite gutting out the win, and even though I expected a tough game, I've lost my confidence in this team. Am I the only one?

Say what you will about Cubit's sorcery, this is not a good team, but they made Iowa look like chumps on the lines. Illinois is bad enough they couldn't capitalize. NW will annihilate us if our lines play like this. And what is so wrong with our backup RBs that KF and GD think giving Canzeri 43 carries is the best choice? Injuries are piling up. The only bright spots were Canzeri's studliness (though that comes with the downside of him building up the punishment), J Smith's emerging promise, and CJB making enough plays to find a way to win.

Am I overreacting here?

Despite gutting out the win, and even though I expected a tough game, I've lost my confidence in this team. Am I the only one?

Say what you will about Cubit's sorcery, this is not a good team, but they made Iowa look like chumps on the lines. Illinois is bad enough they couldn't capitalize. NW will annihilate us if our lines play like this. And what is so wrong with our backup RBs that KF and GD think giving Canzeri 43 carries is the best choice? Injuries are piling up. The only bright spots were Canzeri's studliness (though that comes with the downside of him building up the punishment), J Smith's emerging promise, and CJB making enough plays to find a way to win.

Am I overreacting here?
Are you watching nws line against Michigan right now? We were without both tackles and Ott, it's probably expected. Let's hope Ike and Myers are back next week.

Yeah, you're overreacting.

NW is getting blown the f*ck out by Michigan right now. Maryland is bad. Indiana showed signs last week, but got blown the f*ck out by a very average Penn State team. Minnesota doesn't have an offense. Purdue took it to MSU, but hasn't been good in their other games. Nebraska is 3 plays from being undefeated, but has 3 losses and a head coach with players who don't fit his system.

Am I overreacting here?
Every team experiences adversity during the course of the season. Today was ours and yet we hung tough and got the win. Also, I think it is fair to say the Illini are a much better team than most people realize.

I was not under the impression that we were a NC contender, or that we were going to cruise into the B1G championship game. This is the best team we have had since 2009. They have lots of weaknesses and are a lot of fun to watch. I have confidence that this team will show up and play tough in every game. We now have lots of players hurt and essentially one proven running back.

Love this team. I plan to take it week by week.

Illinois is not a bad team. Not great, but they have talent on both sides of the ball and their line play isn't bad. I thought we'd win this one more easily, but when you consider that we left 12 points on the field in the first half and won by 9, and when you consider that we ran the ball like crazy today, the game doesn't look so bad in retrospect. A final score of 41-20 probably would have changed many people's perception of this game, and we were just a few plays away from that.

No, we're not a top 5 team nationally, but I do think we're probably top 15 or so, and we're 6-0. Heck -- I'm going to enjoy every minute of this season. We've already reached the win total I predicted over the summer. Couldn't be happier to be proven wrong.

Considering Iowa had injuries to their #1 receiver (J. Smith definitely emerged), two starting tackles, and Drew Ott (a freaking stud on the dline) and still came out with a win, yeah... I'm feeling pretty good about this team. Illinois is no slouch this year. Yeah, they typically suck but that front 7 is very solid.

Fortunately for Iowa Lunt is a statue and NW doesn't have a running QB this year. Running QB's historically wreck Iowa and they won't face one in this division until Nebraska.

Am I overreacting here?

I expected the very sort of game we observed. The bad news is how banged up we are as a team.

Right now, I'm thinking it will be a miracle to beat Northwestern at Evanston (I know that they're not looking good currently at the Big House ... but the match-ups weren't favoring the Wildcats in that one) - particularly given all the injuries.

Am I overreacting here?

Perhaps you lawyer type trolls might want to read the directions on your stay flow packages.

I expected the very sort of game we observed. The bad news is how banged up we are as a team.

Right now, I'm thinking it will be a miracle to beat Northwestern at Evanston (I know that they're not looking good currently at the Big House ... but the match-ups weren't favoring the Wildcats in that one) - particularly given all the injuries.
Meh, f$(k the wildcats.

Yep, you're overreacting and any confidence you had that the Hawkeyes will "run all over" any conference opponent was misplaced.

Every game will be a grinder and we can only hope that we have right guys in the right positions to come down on the right side every week. With this group against this schedule, I like our chances.

Reactions: djwoody

I don't understand how NW is ranked 13th in the country. They always come down to Earth and it doesn't surprise me that Michigan is kicking their ass. This NW team doesn't scare me as they don't have the athleticism at QB to scorch the Hawks on the ground.

Hell, there very well might be more Hawk fans at Ryan Field than Northwestern fans. I just don't see all the love they have gotten so far in the season.

I don't understand how NW is ranked 13th in the country. They always come down to Earth and it doesn't surprise me that Michigan is kicking their ass. This NW team doesn't scare me as they don't have the athleticism at QB to scorch the Hawks on the ground.

Hell, there very well might be more Hawk fans at Ryan Field than Northwestern fans. I just don't see all the love they have gotten so far in the season.
Northwestern has gotten the "love" because their running game has been decent AND, more importantly, their D is very good. Their problem right now is that they just ran into a buzz-saw at the Big House. It's a hard place for a new QB to play.

If the Hawks were healthy, I think that we'd stand a good chance to win. However, given the injuries ... it will be hard.

It doesn't mean there are not areas to improve on bu the only overall negative to the team I can see right now is injuries.

I love the toughness they are playing with.

They found a way to win with both OT's and Ott out. So no.

Well, that's just it though.

Yes, it's good to see them overcome adversity. But, the injuries are piling up. Add in that CJB is taking a beating and JC cannot keep up this pace physically...there is "cause for concern".

Not panic button time. I just wish the bye week was this coming week more than anything else.

If you've been following the Hawks for even just a few seasons, how many situations has this team faced where you just knew in your gut that the team will find a way to screw it up?

3rd and long An opponents late drive to score that leaves no time for us, our lack of ability to convert a 3rd down on a crucial drive etc. The point is, this team doesn't seem to be on the wrong side of those this so far, they're getting the timely stops and turnovers etc.

No reason to not be optimistic.

If you've been following the Hawks for even just a few seasons, how many situations has this team faced where you just knew in your gut that the team will find a way to screw it up?

3rd and long An opponents late drive to score that leaves no time for us, our lack of ability to convert a 3rd down on a crucial drive etc. The point is, this team doesn't seem to be on the wrong side of those this so far, they're getting the timely stops and turnovers etc.

No reason to not be optimistic.
Yup, I knew in my gut most of the game that the Hawks were going to find a way to screw this up. And yet... I am just in awe of our defense. Not that they are really good, but after screwing up and blowing plays they consistently dug in when it really mattered and stopped the Whini. Impressive display, really. Even poor old Mabin, who we cussed the whole game thread, suddenly grabs a key interception. They may not be all that great, but they don't ever quit.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
With Ott's career unfortunately coming to an end and all the injuries mounting this season now likely to get more challenging. But it was a fun ride so far. Still going bowling.

For the life of me, it's like when we win no one can have an opinion. No knew can comment because you're overreacting.

These are reasonable concerns. The team doesn't look great. A win is a win but I think we have the right to point out the apparent issues with the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pepperman
NC contenders? Probably not.

shut-your-mouth.gif

Reactions: 3boysmom
Daniels was exposed a bit but had some good blocks. However, over 230 yards for Canzeri at a 6.0 average, how is that being exposed?

I saw 4 or 5 of the hardest hits I have seen hawkeyes put on anyone in a few years! We won by 9 and should of been 16. We did this w/o our deep threat, Ott, and 2OT... Come on people get real.
Yeah really, this team is not as good as would be nice, but they have showed us they have no quit in them. For example, Mabin got burnt time after time by a truly great receiver but he never bowed his head, he just kept coming back. Suddenly he puts himself in position to make what I consider the game winning interception. That was the kind of game it was. Hawkeyes refusing to quit. I'm liking it quite a bit.

Like many said, this team has fought their way through adversity (injuries, and game) in ways that previous teams wouldn't have. Hesse, Smith, and Canzeri have stepped up big time.

I think Illinois is a little better than you are giving them credit for. Also, keep in mind, Iowa left a lot of points on the field. It should not have been close.

Should the Hawks drop the NW game I hope our "fans" don't turn on the the team or individuals.

In my 66 years of following the Hawks one constant has been our depth falls short of the blue bloods. Kids are playing with effort and giving it their best. With the developmental program that we have it's difficult to compete when your starters go down.

All we can ask for is 100% effort and win or lose I'm sure we will get it from this group. It's not always a given.

Reactions: D-Hawk and satrinny

Am I overreacting here?
Not me! No one ever said it was going to be easy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT