ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: Are we supposed to accept that an undeserved loss is Iowa’s punishment for the sins of its abominable offense?

I've never said it was anything but a crap call. But I also don't blame the loss on that call, either.

Let's say the touchdown stood. There was still 1:21 left on the clock. There was no guarantee Minnesota wouldn't drive down the field and get a TD to win. Likely? Probably not. But still possible. I remember a game vs. Penn State not that long ago where they drove down the field and scored the winning TD as time expired (in Kinnick). Then there was Kentucky in the bowl game 2 years ago where they went 80 yards in 8 plays in 1:48 to score the winning TD after being shut out the entire second half up to that point. It happens.

Yes a spectacular return was taken away on a technicality. But the non-existent offense was the main reason they lost.

That's my opinion. Others disagree. That's fine. There is no right or wrong here.
Yes, it was the offense that lost the game...again...for the umpteenth time! Minny is NOT good. Our Defense held them to 12 points despite Minny having some 80% possession for the game. Our offense doesn't do it's part and never does. The punt return is irrelevant. It shouldn't have come to us needing that. If our offense was just average, we win this game by 20 because Minny sucks! Wisconsin sucks too, we should've beaten them by more but our offense didn't do it's job. We should've been in a rock fight with PSU but...again...our offense let us down.

So I say again, the return shouldn't have mattered. We lost the game and it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 83Hawk
I've never said it was anything but a crap call. But I also don't blame the loss on that call, either.

Let's say the touchdown stood. There was still 1:21 left on the clock. There was no guarantee Minnesota wouldn't drive down the field and get a TD to win. Likely? Probably not. But still possible. I remember a game vs. Penn State not that long ago where they drove down the field and scored the winning TD as time expired (in Kinnick). Then there was Kentucky in the bowl game 2 years ago where they went 80 yards in 8 plays in 1:48 to score the winning TD after being shut out the entire second half up to that point. It happens.

Yes a spectacular return was taken away on a technicality. But the non-existent offense was the main reason they lost.

That's my opinion. Others disagree. That's fine. There is no right or wrong here.
Minnesota was not going to score a td.

I can save you the drama.

The correct call was made. Read the rules it’s as clear as day.
The rule might be…but the interpretation was not. And my point is we know what constitutes a legit “fair catch”…. Why do we have/need a rule defining what is Not a “fair catch”?
Secondly, IC it was a rule violation, so you find it strange that none of the refs threw a flag or blew a whistle to stop the play?
Did you know that the ref (O’Dey) was once suspended for 2 weeks by the B12 a few years ago for “misinterpreting a rule” during an Okie State football fame?
And u do know his history with Iowa/Minnesota FB from last years game in Minneapolis, right?

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by Tory Brecht
p

DeJean Celebration
The DeJean celebration that wasn't. (Photo: Dennis Scheidt)

There really isn’t much room for a Cooper DeJean statue in the small space between Evasheski Drive and the walls of Kinnick Stadium’s north end zone, but if he keeps making plays like the game-winning punt return he executed last Saturday, Nile Kinnick might need to move over and make room for some company.

On yet another truly awful day for embattled offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz – where the quarterback gave the ball away and again sprayed passes far and wide and the two leading rushers combined for a paltry 11 yards on 28 carries – a cornerback once again was the lone touchdown-scoring spark.

Finding some way to interject life into a completely broken and dysfunctional offense is of paramount importance over the looming bye week. At least Iowa fans get two weeks to bask in the heroic exploits of a small-town Iowa hero who took a downtrodden team on his back and refused to lose. No one in attendance will ever forget DeJean’s zigzagging, sideline-defying, tackle-breaking dash for glory with less than two minutes left in the game and Iowa trailing by two points.

Once again the Iowa defense did yeoman’s work, holding the gophers to 127 passing yards, 113 rushing yards on a 2.5 yards per game clip and zero touchdowns. Tory Taylor further cemented his frontrunner status for the Ray Guy punting award, nailing nine punts for a 49.3-yard average, four of them pinning Minnesota inside the 20-yard-line.

This doesn’t absolve the Iowa offense from its worse showing to date, which frankly did not seem possible after its slog in Madison. The notion that Deacon Hill – who is now the 160th rated college football quarterback by passer rating out of 160 – gives Iowa the “best chance to win” is ludicrous on its face. I am rarely one to overtly criticize players giving it their all, but unless he is literally falling on his face and fumbling every snap in practice, there is zero chance Joe Labas can’t come in and do at least as well as Hill.

The more disturbing trend was an offensive line and rushing offense that managed to put 200 yards up on Wisconsin when the Badgers knew they had to run completely disappearing and failing to affect the game against Minnesota. Frankly, Iowa probably abandoned the run too early even in the face of limited success. What was Brian Ferentz thinking putting the ball into the air 28 times with a quarterback who can’t pass or navigate a pocket properly? Hey, wide receivers did receive 90-percent of the targets, so I guess that’s something.

Dismay at the continued deterioration of the Hawkeye offense notwithstanding, Iowa sits 7-1 and fully in command of the Big 10 West race, but it certainly feels tenuous. Playing on a razor edge and absolutely relying on either defense or special teams to score feels unsustainable. Sure, it worked again this past Saturday against a decidedly mediocre Gopher squad, but challenges lie ahead.
Wait, I’ve been handed a slip of paper.

What!?

OK, so it seems there’s been some type of error and apparently completely incompetent and asinine Big 10 officiating has marred the correct results of Saturday’s battle for Floyd of Rosedale.
To be honest, I don’t understand what they are telling me. Apparently, DeJean’s totally typical and acceptable pointing to where blockers should deploy was erroneously interpreted as an invalid signal? I mean, 70,000 observers including every single Minnesota player and coach knew DeJean intended to return the punt and reacted accordingly. I saw P.J. Fleck hang his head in utter dejection myself from my seats behind the Gopher bench.

Surely, this is some kind of joke. There is no way this officiating crew could be this obtuse and pathetic and willing to rob a player and his fans of a transcendent moment of glory on a horrific and incorrect interpretation of a subjective rule. That would violate every tenet of sports.

Are we truly supposed to accept that an undeserved loss is Iowa’s punishment for the sins of its abominable offense?

I don’t know about you, but I will never accept this as a legitimate outcome.

Iowa defeated Minnesota for the ninth consecutive time, kept Fleck winless against the Hawkeyes and no pignapped trophy held hostage in Dinkytown is going to convince me otherwise.
Those fans who say Iowa “deserved” to lose because it objectively sucks on offense certainly don’t speak for me or tens of thousands of others who were robbed of a rare and stupendous individual effort that snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. We and DeJean deserve better than to have someone bad at their job ruin a beautiful moment.

Iowa won. Minnesota lost. Big 10 officiating remains a joke.
Spot the fk on!

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Did Iowa get screwed by the refs? Yes

Did Iowa play like a middle school team? Yes

Should Iowa have even been that situation in the first place? No
Did Iowa play like a middle school team? wtf r u talking about did you not watch our D and ST? Jfc, u people suck.

Minnesota was not going to score a td.

I can save you the drama.
You don't know that. I already gave 2 examples where the opposing team did it to the Hawks, one of them was in Kinnick.

No, Minnesota probably wasn't going to score a TD. But you can't say that for certainty. Especially when all the Gophers had to do was throw at Harris every play. ;)

The Big 10 officials are bad? Expansion of the conference has already degraded the quality of officiating. Wait until next year when the conference expands by 4 teams. Where are they going to pull these guys (generic term, calm down) from? The West Coast? They're used to calling a different type of game out there than Big 10 games. You think consistency is a problem now? I'm afraid it's going to get worse.

So what?

Iowa scored a legitimate touchdown that was taken off the board for either incompetent or nefarious reasons.

That is what had the most impact on a game where that bogus call was on the ONLY TOUCHDOWN PLAY of the entire game for either team.
It is amazing Torbee when even Hawk fans suggest that even though the Coop punt return TD was called back that the offense only had to get 20 yards or so to try a FG.

But the logic should be that 9,999 out of 10,000 Coop's TD is good and the hawks are kicking off to Minny rather than having the pressure to move the ball into FG range. A big logic miss by fans.

Oh, and the Hawks did had a previous TD scored earlier by Hill on the QB sneak.

I was in Kinnick Saturday. As maddening as it was watching Iowa’s staff fail to get the ball in a playmaker’s hands (like Wetjen) on the edge against a consistently loaded box.
It was equally entertaining listening to all the Mike Yanagita’s in our section when they discovered they won the game.

Aw jeez! Did we just win? Aw jeez, Margie! Did we beat Iowa?!
You’re darn toot’nt we did, Mike! Aw jeez, we did! Tan Sierra! Tan Sierra! Aw jeez, we beat Iowa, Mike!!

False, dim bulb. " Waving " is a subjective call, which was not, I repeat, was not called on the field. Holding arms horizontal and pointing out the location of the ball is not an attempt to deceive the receiving team. The fact that every Gopher did their level best to tackle him immediately proved just that...
The dim bulb was any official who interpreted it as faking a fair catch. If you don't put your hand over your head tell the players the returner can be blown up with a hit.

He was 10 yards away from the ball with no chance to catch it. The officials near the receiver should be told to raise both their arms if they see a fair catch signal just like they do for TDs and FGs. That should end their confusion, but I doubt it.

This looks like someone had an invested interest in the outcome of the game.

IF CDJ's return was allowed to stand, Minny would have gone back on offense with 1:21 left on the clock. So it's unknown whether the Hawks would have won under those circumstances or not. Yeah, I know, we didn't let them in the endzone all day. CDJ also hadn't returned a punt to the endzone all day.
It's not an undeserving loss. You can't declare a winner either way with 1:21 on the clock and score differential under 9 points.

IF CDJ's return was allowed to stand, Minny would have gone back on offense with 1:21 left on the clock. So it's unknown whether the Hawks would have won under those circumstances or not. Yeah, I know, we didn't let them in the endzone all day. CDJ also hadn't returned a punt to the endzone all day.
It's not an undeserving loss. You can't declare a winner either way with 1:21 on the clock and score differential under 9 points.
Yep, when an offense goes into 4 down mode a the end of the game it can be hard to stop them moving the ball. If they had 75 yards to go (Steven's kickoff had the wind behind it and would have been a touchback no doubt) and can get first downs now and then to stop the clock and throw some short outs and go out of bounds then it can get dicey. Plus they can clock a play quickly with that extra down on each series.

Many times Iowa has trouble with that 2 minute drill, not always. But the last few years the hawks have been great shutting down teams do or die late game drives.

I have mentioned that too, and gave 2 examples.....a Penn State game in Kinnick and the bowl game with Kentucky 2 years ago.

Would Minnesota have been able to score? Likely not. But there were no guarantees. All it takes is 1 busted coverage, 1 missed assignment, 1 missed tackle, 1 penalty, 1 fluke play, or 1 bad bounce. Heck....the Gophers probably could have gained significant yards just throwing at Harris every down.

Tell the Big 10 when Iowa isn't playing in the Big 10 title game because of this.

Also..... don't forget that, even after that bad call, the Hawks still only needed to gain 20 yards to be in FG range....instead they went backwards before turning the ball over.
They don't win by going 20 yards on offense. They win the way they did. Defense and special teams. Refs took special teams away.

• Love
Reactions: torbee
Yes, it was the offense that lost the game...again...for the umpteenth time! Minny is NOT good. Our Defense held them to 12 points despite Minny having some 80% possession for the game. Our offense doesn't do it's part and never does. The punt return is irrelevant. It shouldn't have come to us needing that. If our offense was just average, we win this game by 20 because Minny sucks! Wisconsin sucks too, we should've beaten them by more but our offense didn't do it's job. We should've been in a rock fight with PSU but...again...our offense let us down.

So I say again, the return shouldn't have mattered. We lost the game and it is what it is.
Iowa football is a 3 legged stool with only 2 legs.

There are 2 football axioms in play here that I think button up this whole conversation. The first one is that the best officiating never decides the outcome of the game, particularly in the final moments. It only serves to cheapen the end result. These officials failed miserably in this regard.

The second is that you never leave yourself in a position where the officials can determine the outcome of the game. The Iowa offense failed miserably in this regard over the course of the entire game.

When these things happen there are no real winners. The loser feels robbed of the win. The winner feels compelled to defend themselves against the world (and Iowa fans on this forum) when the outcome becomes a controversy.

Reactions: torbee
He said it doesn't work. How the hell is that "defending" it?
By saying they win by defense and special teams and not by offense. Which is true, but that is also excusing the offense, in my opinion.

You disagree, and that's fine.

By saying they win by defense and special teams and not by offense. Which is true, but that is also excusing the offense, in my opinion.

You disagree, and that's fine.
There is nothing to disagree with.

Stating that Iowa wins by defense and special teams, as you point out, is accurate.

Saying the offense contributes nothing - which that poster did - cannot be construed objectively as defending the offense.

FWIW, I also don't think it's "excusing it." Merely pointing out the reality of the situation currently.

Change the rule to something that eliminates confusion of intent. Usually the player making a fair catch is stationary and not running laterally towards the ball. I would have loved to see the refs run laterally making sure their hands do not go above their shoulders.

maybe the receiver should text the official prior to making the catch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT