ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: Are we supposed to accept that an undeserved loss is Iowa’s punishment for the sins of its abominable offense?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by Tory Brecht
p

DeJean Celebration
The DeJean celebration that wasn't. (Photo: Dennis Scheidt)

There really isn’t much room for a Cooper DeJean statue in the small space between Evasheski Drive and the walls of Kinnick Stadium’s north end zone, but if he keeps making plays like the game-winning punt return he executed last Saturday, Nile Kinnick might need to move over and make room for some company.

On yet another truly awful day for embattled offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz – where the quarterback gave the ball away and again sprayed passes far and wide and the two leading rushers combined for a paltry 11 yards on 28 carries – a cornerback once again was the lone touchdown-scoring spark.

Finding some way to interject life into a completely broken and dysfunctional offense is of paramount importance over the looming bye week. At least Iowa fans get two weeks to bask in the heroic exploits of a small-town Iowa hero who took a downtrodden team on his back and refused to lose. No one in attendance will ever forget DeJean’s zigzagging, sideline-defying, tackle-breaking dash for glory with less than two minutes left in the game and Iowa trailing by two points.

Once again the Iowa defense did yeoman’s work, holding the gophers to 127 passing yards, 113 rushing yards on a 2.5 yards per game clip and zero touchdowns. Tory Taylor further cemented his frontrunner status for the Ray Guy punting award, nailing nine punts for a 49.3-yard average, four of them pinning Minnesota inside the 20-yard-line.

This doesn’t absolve the Iowa offense from its worse showing to date, which frankly did not seem possible after its slog in Madison. The notion that Deacon Hill – who is now the 160th rated college football quarterback by passer rating out of 160 – gives Iowa the “best chance to win” is ludicrous on its face. I am rarely one to overtly criticize players giving it their all, but unless he is literally falling on his face and fumbling every snap in practice, there is zero chance Joe Labas can’t come in and do at least as well as Hill.

The more disturbing trend was an offensive line and rushing offense that managed to put 200 yards up on Wisconsin when the Badgers knew they had to run completely disappearing and failing to affect the game against Minnesota. Frankly, Iowa probably abandoned the run too early even in the face of limited success. What was Brian Ferentz thinking putting the ball into the air 28 times with a quarterback who can’t pass or navigate a pocket properly? Hey, wide receivers did receive 90-percent of the targets, so I guess that’s something.

Dismay at the continued deterioration of the Hawkeye offense notwithstanding, Iowa sits 7-1 and fully in command of the Big 10 West race, but it certainly feels tenuous. Playing on a razor edge and absolutely relying on either defense or special teams to score feels unsustainable. Sure, it worked again this past Saturday against a decidedly mediocre Gopher squad, but challenges lie ahead.
Wait, I’ve been handed a slip of paper.

What!?

OK, so it seems there’s been some type of error and apparently completely incompetent and asinine Big 10 officiating has marred the correct results of Saturday’s battle for Floyd of Rosedale.
To be honest, I don’t understand what they are telling me. Apparently, DeJean’s totally typical and acceptable pointing to where blockers should deploy was erroneously interpreted as an invalid signal? I mean, 70,000 observers including every single Minnesota player and coach knew DeJean intended to return the punt and reacted accordingly. I saw P.J. Fleck hang his head in utter dejection myself from my seats behind the Gopher bench.

Surely, this is some kind of joke. There is no way this officiating crew could be this obtuse and pathetic and willing to rob a player and his fans of a transcendent moment of glory on a horrific and incorrect interpretation of a subjective rule. That would violate every tenet of sports.

Are we truly supposed to accept that an undeserved loss is Iowa’s punishment for the sins of its abominable offense?

I don’t know about you, but I will never accept this as a legitimate outcome.

Iowa defeated Minnesota for the ninth consecutive time, kept Fleck winless against the Hawkeyes and no pignapped trophy held hostage in Dinkytown is going to convince me otherwise.
Those fans who say Iowa “deserved” to lose because it objectively sucks on offense certainly don’t speak for me or tens of thousands of others who were robbed of a rare and stupendous individual effort that snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. We and DeJean deserve better than to have someone bad at their job ruin a beautiful moment.

Iowa won. Minnesota lost. Big 10 officiating remains a joke.

Alt headlines? What gives?

Sorry that you are still wallowing in the misery of that football game. I figured you would be able to let this one go.
I mean, I have to write about it every week.

Seems to me Iowa getting bent over a barrel while a red hot poker is shoved up their jaxsy by incompetent Big 10 officiating is the news of the week. 🤷‍♂️

Tell the Big 10 when Iowa isn't playing in the Big 10 title game because of this.

Also..... don't forget that, even after that bad call, the Hawks still only needed to gain 20 yards to be in FG range....instead they went backwards before turning the ball over.

Also..... don't forget that, even after that bad call, the Hawks still only needed to gain 20 yards to be in FG range....instead they went backwards before turning the ball over.
So what?

Iowa scored a legitimate touchdown that was taken off the board for either incompetent or nefarious reasons.

That is what had the most impact on a game where that bogus call was on the ONLY TOUCHDOWN PLAY of the entire game for either team.

Cooper deserves better. He’s electric and that PR would have put him in legendary status. What would be more remarkable is if he returned a late punt for a TD in one more game this year.
That was what made Saturday so maddening.

As awful as Iowa was most of the game, you had one kid literally take it upon himself to bring joy to 70,000 people through sheer skill, will and determination and some schmuck in Pittsburgh decides to inject himself and steal that joy away from everyone.

F---k that guy.

I mean, I have to write about it every week.

Seems to me Iowa getting bent over a barrel while a red hot poker is shoved up their jaxsy by incompetent Big 10 officiating is the news of the week. 🤷‍♂️
So was the officiating crew incompetent when they aided the Hawks only TD drive of the day by calling 4 penalties on MN, allowing them to complete the drive without any first downs earned on their own? What about Cooper sticking his arm out to draw contact and a very questionable punt catch interference penalty call on MN?

I’m sorry but the call/non call on the return is a complete red herring to me. It doesn’t change the fact that we are witnessing a severely flawed team and takes like this just makes our fan base look even worse.

So was the officiating crew incompetent when they aided the Hawks only TD drive of the day by calling 4 penalties on MN, allowing them to complete the drive without any first downs earned on their own? What about Cooper sticking his arm out to draw contact and a very questionable punt catch interference penalty call on MN?

I’m sorry but the call/non call on the return is a complete red herring to me. It doesn’t change the fact that we are witnessing a severely flawed team and takes like this just makes our fan base look even worse.
Eat shit, rodent. And take the word "we" out your mouth.

So what?

Iowa scored a legitimate touchdown that was taken off the board for either incompetent or nefarious reasons.

That is what had the most impact on a game where that bogus call was on the ONLY TOUCHDOWN PLAY of the entire game for either team.
The call was technically correct. You may not like it (and neither did I), but it was correct according to the rulebook. No, it is almost never called.

The Hawkeye offense lost that game. Period.

Eat shit, rodent. And take the word "we" out your mouth.
😂 Happy to show you my diploma from Iowa if it makes you feel any better but guessing it won’t. I see you didn’t answer the question though but not surprised.

The call was technically correct. You may not like it (and neither did I), but it was correct according to the rulebook. No, it is almost never called.

The Hawkeye offense lost that game. Period.
So you are saying any waving of the arms during a punt return is an infraction?

Why isn't this an infraction?

😂 Happy to show you my diploma from Iowa if it makes you feel any better but guessing it won’t. I see you didn’t answer the question though but not surprised.
Sure, maybe the crew was incompetent all day. It's Big 10 officiating. It's hot f-----ing garbage, as the end of Saturday's game proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

So what?

It wasn't the only TD play of the entire game. Hill had a QB sneak into the endzone earlier in the game. Plus don't forget that there were two other touchdowns that the refs didn't give to us. Including one where they were looking for the ball in the pile while Hill was standing four yards deep in the endzone with it wondering why they didn't award him a touchdown. And then the replay official wanted to review the one the refs actually did give to us.

On top of all of that crappy scoring play stuff, there was also the blatant targeting no-call after Hill had his helmet almost ripped off that the refs on the field and the replay official decided they didn't care about. The defender came in head hunting at a defenseless QB that barely had his helmet on.

So you are saying any waving of the arms during a punt return is an infraction?

Why isn't this an infraction?

That certainly was an infraction according to the rules, but it wasn't called......just like it is almost never called, but it WAS called on the Hawks. Deal with it.

I do think the rule is too ambiguous and completely objective. I think the Hawks were jobbed and I was (and still am) as upset about it as anyone.

But I also don't blame the loss on that play. I blame the offense. You can lament all you want about that call costing Iowa the game. That's fine. That's your OPINION, which isn't any more valid (or "right") than mine.

The fact is, even with that horrible call, the offense still had 1:21 to move the ball 20 yards for a game winning FG attempt. 20 measley yards! That's the distance from home plate to the pitcher's mound in major league baseball. And they couldn't do it!

They gained -3 total yards in the third quarter.

They scored a whopping 10 points (and the defense only gave up 12) total, and ZERO in the second half.

That certainly was an infraction according to the rules, but it wasn't called......just like it is almost never called, but it WAS called on the Hawks. Deal with it.

I do think the rule is too ambiguous and completely objective. I think the Hawks were jobbed and I was (and still am) as upset about it as anyone.

But I also don't blame the loss on that play. I blame the offense. You can lament all you want about that call costing Iowa the game. That's fine. That's your OPINION, which isn't any more valid (or "right") than mine.

The fact is, even with that horrible call, the offense still had 1:21 to move the ball 20 yards for a game winning FG attempt. 20 measley yards! That's the distance from home plate to the pitcher's mound in major league baseball. And they couldn't do it!

They gained -3 total yards in the third quarter.

They scored a whopping 10 points (and the defense only gave up 12) total, and ZERO in the second half.
The two issues are separate and should be talked about separately.

Just because Iowa's offense is ass and an embarrassment doesn't negate the FACT Iowa scored a late touchdown fair and square and should have been allowed the opportunity to let its defense win the game.

The two issues are separate and should be talked about separately.

Just because Iowa's offense is ass and an embarrassment doesn't negate the FACT Iowa scored a late touchdown fair and square and should have been allowed the opportunity to let its defense win the game.
Fair and square? On strict application of the rule, it was square.

Since it is almost never called, definitely not fair.

So it's not a FACT.

I would bet that, had Dejean fumbled the ball away and Minnesota recovered, and the officials brought it back because of an invalid fair catch and gave possession back to the Hawks, and they went on to win, you would be singing a different tune.

So it's not a FACT.
It is a fact that Cooper DeJean did not call for a fair catch, fielded a punt and returned it for a touchdown.

That some asshole in Pittsburgh decided to overrule it doesn't magically erase what 70,000 of us in the stadium - including the entire Minnesota team and coaching staff - and hundreds of thousands watching on TV saw.

It is a fact that Cooper DeJean did not call for a fair catch, fielded a punt and returned it for a touchdown.

That some asshole in Pittsburgh decided to overrule it doesn't magically erase what 70,000 of us in the stadium - including the entire Minnesota team and coaching staff - and hundreds of thousands watching on TV saw.
So if Cooper had fumbled the ball away and Minnesota recovered, but "some a*shole in Pittsburgh" decided he had made an invalid fair catch signal, gave the ball back to the Hawks who proceeded to score to win the game, you would be screaming that the Gophers were robbed, and that the Hawks didn't deserve to win? Methinks not.

You're mad, I get it. So am I. But it's not the first time Iowa (or other teams), have lost games when there were controversial calls, and it won't be the last.

Last edited:
Reactions: auntie_fah

So it's not a FACT.

I would bet that, had Dejean fumbled the ball away and Minnesota recovered, and the officials brought it back because of an invalid fair catch and gave possession back to the Hawks, and they went on to win, you would be singing a different tune.
Maybe, but we’d know it was bullshit whilst walking away with the win

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
So if Cooper had fumbled the ball away and Minnesota recovered, but "some a*shole in Pittsburgh" decided he had made an invalid fair catch signal, gave the ball back to the Hawks who proceeded to score to win the game, you would be screaming that the Gophers were robbed, and that the Hawks didn't deserve to win? Methinks not.

You're mad, I get it. So am I. But it's not the first time Iowa (or other teams), have lost games when there were controversial calls, and it won't be the last.
I would absolutely say the Gophers were robbed. And I'd be pleased as punch to bask in the glow of an unearned victory.

Look, let the Gopher fans have their fun with this absolute gift of a win that they didn't deserve. It's not their fault Big 10 officiating is either woefully incompetent or corrupt.

I would most DEFINITELY be saying that Minnesota got screwed in this situation.

I’d take the win & be happy.

But you’re kidding yourself if you wouldn’t be saying the Gophers got robbed.

There has to be a line drawn as to what can be called or not after seeing the replay. Need to make sure the runner stayed inbounds or that the ball broke the plane?? Go for it.

But if it isn’t flagged on the field, it shouldn’t be called after review. Are we going to wipe touchdowns off the board because they saw a holding during the replay?

There has to be a line drawn as to what can be called or not after seeing the replay. Need to make sure the runner stayed inbounds or that the ball broke the plane?? Go for it.

But if it isn’t flagged on the field, it shouldn’t be called after review. Are we going to wipe touchdowns off the board because they saw a holding during the replay?
Just get rid of rule if ball bounces it's dead when either kicking or receiving team touch it.

Maybe keep rule receiving team can advance ball after kicking team touches it and not control

Someone else said that that in another thread, technically holding is not reviewable but I totally agree with your point…👍

The rule I read said any motioning of the arm can be considered an invalid fair catch. So when Cooper did the clearout call or motioning for his blockers, that was something that could be called an invalid fair catch by rule. One can see why this would be in place to prevent punt catchers from faking out would be tackers. The fact that this type of motioning is common and not called 90% ot the time or more is really your complaint--however most of the time when punt returner is making this motion, the ball is not even fielded or if it is, the punt returner doesn't get far before being tackled so nobody cares.

I think Cooper is very smart player and he must have been taught it was okay, but it wasn't...at least not on that day in Kinnick with that Replay Review guy. This is an area that will need to be addressed in rules or in player training. It sort of reminds me of the time Wadley had a TD called back for showboating on his last few strides before the endzone. That showboating rule was on the books but almost never called.....this false fair catch signal is along that lines...something that mostly gets let go, but not that day at Kinnick.

I don't mind the loss...KF/BF have one less win that that they can claim as their own, when nearly all the wins these last few years have been combination of very soft schedule and special teams/defense wins and the offense BF/KF have put up have been horrid.

Reactions: opie12 and AEG82
This fan base is as soft as this program. Needing calls from the refs to beat this awful Minnesota team.
Take your pathetic loss like a man. Should be used to it by now.

Do you not see the contradiction in your post?

WHO exactly need the refs to win?????????? Oh yeah ... it was MN needing a ref to make the worst call of the year.

Get some self-awareness before posting next time.

Tell the Big 10 when Iowa isn't playing in the Big 10 title game because of this.

It's not about the 20 yards needed to kick a field goal or the piss poor offensive play.
It's about a great play being reversed on a technicality call that first started about checking to see it he was in bounds which should have been caught during the play. If the call was about a fair catch signal it should have been called on the field and the whistle blown making it a dead play.

It's not about the 20 yards needed to kick a field goal or the piss poor offensive play.
It's about a great play being reversed on a technicality call that first started about checking to see it he was in bounds which should have been caught during the play. If the call was about a fair catch signal it should have been called on the field and the whistle blown making it a dead play.
I've never said it was anything but a crap call. But I also don't blame the loss on that call, either.

Let's say the touchdown stood. There was still 1:21 left on the clock. There was no guarantee Minnesota wouldn't drive down the field and get a TD to win. Likely? Probably not. But still possible. I remember a game vs. Penn State not that long ago where they drove down the field and scored the winning TD as time expired (in Kinnick). Then there was Kentucky in the bowl game 2 years ago where they went 80 yards in 8 plays in 1:48 to score the winning TD after being shut out the entire second half up to that point. It happens.

Yes a spectacular return was taken away on a technicality. But the non-existent offense was the main reason they lost.

That's my opinion. Others disagree. That's fine. There is no right or wrong here.

The correct call was made. Read the rules it’s as clear as day.
False, dim bulb. " Waving " is a subjective call, which was not, I repeat, was not called on the field. Holding arms horizontal and pointing out the location of the ball is not an attempt to deceive the receiving team. The fact that every Gopher did their level best to tackle him immediately proved just that...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT