ADVERTISEMENT

"Luka Garza is clearly your Nat'l POY." Wooden Award, Naismith & Lute Olson Nat'l POY Finalist

From ESPN.com

What's your current Wooden Award ballot look like?

March 5, 2020

There's one week to go in the regular season, and for the 20 finalists for the John R. Wooden Award, that means a handful of final opportunities to impress voters. With that in mind, ESPN.com's panel of college basketball experts offered a look at what their current Wooden ballots would look like, as well as what could alter their order here in March. Who's going to take home the Wooden hardware?

With one week of the regular season to go, what's your Wooden top 5 look like? What would have to happen for you to rethink your current No. 1?

Myron Medcalf, senior college basketball writer: At the top, for me, is Dayton's Obi Toppin. Since the 2006-07 season, Kevin Durant and Trey Burke have been the only two Wooden Award winners who've played for teams that finished with anything lower than a 3-seed (Texas and Michigan were both 4-seeds) on Selection Sunday. The national player of the year race tends to reward winners. That's why I put Toppin, who is averaging 19.8 PPG and 7.8 RPG for a Dayton team that has lost only twice (both in overtime, to a pair of NCAA tournament teams in Colorado and Kansas), ahead of Iowa's Luka Garza, who is right there with Toppin in what is clearly a two-man race. From there, I've got a pair of Kansas guys.

I'll take Kansas guard Devon Dotson in that third spot. He's amazing and underrated. His 8-for-11 effort in the win at Kansas State helped the Jayhawks avoid a bad loss. At No. 4, I've got his teammate Udoka Azubuike, who is averaging a double-double and 2.6 BPG. He's an unstoppable force who has changed the best team in the country (the Jayhawks make 58.6% of their shots inside the arc with him on the floor). Then, I'll take Seton Hall's Myles Powell (54.3% inside the arc in Big East play) at No. 5. Marquette's Markus Howard has incredible numbers (27.7 PPG), but Wooden voters have rarely given top honors to any member of a struggling team.

Jeff Borzello, college basketball insider: I'm still riding with Garza in the No. 1 spot. Even though the Hawkeyes have been inconsistent of late, Garza is still putting up numbers: 26 and 12 against Purdue, 25 and 17 against Penn State, 20 and 9 against Michigan State. He has expanded his offensive game in Big Ten play, stepping out and shooting 3s, while shouldering more of the load -- and still being one of the most efficient offensive players in the country. I do think it's mostly a Garza vs. Toppin race down the stretch, and Toppin would be my No. 2. If Toppin dominates the end of the season and Garza falters, I would reconsider. I think it's close.

I don't think Dotson is getting nearly enough attention for the award, and he remains in my top 3. The Kansas point guard is No. 1 in KenPom's KPOY race and is still the only player in the country who is at least 5.0 adjusted points above replacement player at both ends of the floor -- one of just nine players to accomplish that since 2009. Give me Oregon's Payton Pritchard at No. 4; scoring 38 in a key road win at Arizona was convincing. Might not be a better late-game player in the country this season. I'll round things out with Howard. Marquette has fallen off over the last month, but Howard is still putting up outrageous scoring numbers.

John Gasaway, college basketball writer: Just wait until Obi Toppin starts wreaking havoc against teams outside the Atlantic 10 for a change, then everyone will see why he's still my No. 1 choice. Opposing defenses just don't have many answers for a 6-foot-9 guy who can score virtually at will in the paint (his 2-point percentage borders on being Zion-like) but can also step out and hit one 3 per game with accuracy. Past Toppin, certainly Azubuike made an unmistakable statement both on offense and on defense at Baylor, and I really do think his "buzz" suffers and his impact is underrated just because his particular player type isn't where the cool kids hang out for intensive draft speculation in 2020.

Of course, there's no rule that says you can't have two nationally preeminent guys on the same team, so I'll second everything my colleague Mr. Borzello just said about the amazing Mr. Dotson. The sophomore's skill and decision-making at high velocities is unequaled, plus he adds significant value on defense. As for Garza, he only happens to be the alpha and omega of the best offense in the strongest and deepest conference in Division I. In rounding out my list, let the record show that Markus Howard has made 115 shots from beyond the arc this season, and no other major-conference player is even in triple digits. Give me these five stars and I'll win some games.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...20/your-current-wooden-award-ballot-look-like

Dukie V still loves Lukie G.

ESXR27DXcAkMV0N

ESPN is trying their best to pimp Obi Toppin, I really hope that Iowa and Dayton meet in the next 2 weeks, it could be one of the best games in the tournament and Luka would have a chance to go head to head with Obi. That would be awesome...

Garza Placed On Wooden Award Final Ballot

John Bohnenkamp
March 7, 2020

Iowa junior center Luka Garza is on the final ballot for the John R. Wooden Award.

Garza was among 15 players on the ballot, which will choose the winner as well as the five members of the Wooden All-American Team.

Garza is also:

* Finalist for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year Award
* Semifinalist for the Oscar Robertson Trophy

* Semifinalist for the Naismith Trophy
* On the Lute Olson Award Midseason List.

Garza is among the national leaders in several categories.

•First with 12 20-point/10-rebound performances

• Second in field goals made (275) and 20-point games (24)

• Third in points per 40 minutes played (29.9)

• Fifth in scoring (23.7)

• Ninth in 30-point games (5)

• 17th in double-doubles (15) and offensive rebounds per game (3.7).

His 15 double-doubles are third most in a single-season by a Hawkeye in three decades and the most since Reggie Evans had 18 in 2002 . Garza is one of two players in the nation, and only player from a major conference, to average better than 23 points and nine rebounds per game.

Garza, who has led the Big Ten in scoring since November, has 712 points this season, becoming Iowa's all-time single-season scoring leader. He has scored 20 points or more in a school-record 15 consecutive Big Ten games, the longest streak by any player in the Big Ten since Purdue’s Glenn Robinson had 15 in 1994.

Garza has scored 25 points or more 12 times this season. He is the only Big Ten player to register seven 25-point/10-rebound performances in the same season in more than 17 years.

Garza is seeking to become Iowa’s first Big Ten player of the year since Sam Williams in 1968. He has the two highest-scoring games in the Big Ten this season — 44 against Michigan and 38 against Indiana.

Voting for the Wooden Award will take place from March 16-23, and voters take into consideration a player’s entire season of play, as well as the opening rounds of the NCAA tournament.

The Wooden Award All-American Team, consisting of the nation’s top five players and the finalists for the Wooden Award, will be announced after the regional finals of the NCAA Tournament and will be the focus of a 30-minute show on April 3 on ESPNU at 5:30 p.m. (CDT).

The presentation of the Wooden Award will be during ESPN's College Basketball Awards on April 10 in Los Angeles. The Wooden Award All-American Team will be honored during the ceremony, and the Wooden Award Legends of Coaching Trophy will be presented to former Iowa head women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer.

https://www.si.com/college/iowa/basketball/garza-wooden-030720

Reactions: Ronman
ESPN just spent 5 minutes straight talking about Obi Toppin and now people are comparing him to Zion. They covered him more in 1 segment than they have covered Luka Garza all year...and he’s breaking national records in one of the best conferences the NCAA has ever had. Dayton now being a 1 seed will solidify him winning National player of the year..he’s a good player and freak athlete..but there’s no way a player in that conference should win NPOTY all because he can do fancy dunks. Sexy ALWAYS wins...sigh.

See orig post. CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein, Dick Vitale and many others say Garza is the clear Player of the Year.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
When do they vote on POY. As Dayton faces power 5 teams, Obi May come back to earth

As you can see from 2 posts above:

Voting for the Wooden Award will take place from March 16-23, and voters take into consideration a player’s entire season of play, as well as the opening rounds of the NCAA tournament.

The Wooden Award All-American Team, consisting of the nation’s top five players and the finalists for the Wooden Award, will be announced after the regional finals of the NCAA Tournament and will be the focus of a 30-minute show on April 3 on ESPNU at 5:30 p.m. (CDT).

The presentation of the Wooden Award will be during ESPN's College Basketball Awards on April 10 in Los Angeles. The Wooden Award All-American Team will be honored during the ceremony, and the Wooden Award Legends of Coaching Trophy will be presented to former Iowa head women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer.

Luka Garza scores 20 points or more in 16th straight Big Ten game
  • i

Adam Rittenberg
  • ESPN Senior Writer
Even in defeat, the Hawkeyes Luka Garza builds his case for National Player of the Year.

March 8, 2020

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Iowa teammates Luka Garza and Joe Toussaint watched Dayton's 76-51 win over George Washington in their hotel room Saturday.

They were impressed by Obi Toppin, the Flyers' star and Garza's primary competition for national player of the year, who had seven dunks in scoring 27 points on the national stage. On Sunday, Garza countered Toppin with 28 points and eight rebounds and played all but three seconds for the No. 18 Hawkeyes against No. 23 Illinois.

Illinois' Kofi Cockburn blocked Garza's shot attempt with a second left, and the Illini prevailed 78-76 at State Farm Center. But Garza strengthened his case for national honors with his 16th consecutive Big Ten game with 20 or more points, surpassing the streak of 15 games set by Purdue star Glenn Robinson in 1994. He averages nearly 27 points per game against AP Top 25 teams and is the first Big Ten player to average more than 21.6 points in league play since 2000.

"If it was up to me, Luka's Big Ten player of the year, Naismith winner of the year, college basketball player of the year," Toussaint told ESPN. "If he doesn't win all of these awards, then I'll be surprised, to be honest with you. The kid, he's just different. He plays hard, makes shots, he rebounds, plays defense, and the kid plays 40 minutes. Just plays hard the whole 40."

Iowa guard Connor McCaffery thinks it's a two-man race for national player of the year, and it's between Garza and Toppin, who averages 20 points and 7.5 rebounds for the third-ranked Flyers.

"Yes, I'm biased, but to me, it's a no-brainer," McCaffery said. "He has better stats, and he's doing it in the Big Ten versus the A-10. That's no disrespect to the A-10, but the Big Ten's just a way better league. It's not close. And Luka's putting up better numbers in the Big Ten than he is in the A-10.

"I can see why they might reward [Toppin] because his team is ranked fourth or whatever, but to me, it's no comparison. ... Luka's putting up ridiculous numbers, averaging 24 and 10. It's stupid."

Illinois coach Brad Underwood mentioned Michael Beasley, whom he helped coach at Kansas State, in assessing Garza's dominance this season. Beasley averaged 26.2 points and 12.4 rebounds for Kansas State in 2007-08, when Underwood served as an assistant.

Beasley finished second for the Wooden Award behind North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough. Underwood called Garza "my front-runner" for national player of the year. Garza is aiming to become the first Iowa player to win the Wooden Award and the first from the Big Ten since Wisconsin's Frank Kaminsky in 2015.

"I thought Purdue the other night did an unbelievable job of guarding him, and I looked at the box score, and he had 26 [points] and [12 rebounds]," Underwood said. "He's got to be at the top of those conversations. He's probably at the forefront of our league as well, and when you're the best player in the best league in the country, I would think he'd be right there."

Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said he never considered removing Garza from Sunday's game. Garza came in averaging 31.7 minutes and has eclipsed 35 minutes in each of his past five games.

"Sometimes you have to take a step back and admire what he's doing," McCaffery said. "Very few guys can play with that level of intensity against that level of physicality for that long and continue to be effective. We're just very fortunate to have him, and we're going to utilize his talent and his tenacity because it's infectious to the rest of the team."

Garza called Toppin "a tremendous player" and said he's honored to be in the national conversation with the Dayton star. He also appreciates his teammates' support in the race.

"That means the world to me," he said. "That's why I came to school. I love my teammates and the culture of this program. It's the reason I work so hard to be out there and help my guys win."

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...res-20-points-more-16th-straight-big-ten-game

Reactions: Ronman
Found this on the Kansas website:

Voting will take place from March 16th to March 23rd, and voters take into consideration a player’s entire season of play, as well as the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

I bet a lot of voters will cast their votes before the Round 2 games. Hopefully Luka can have an awesome Big10 tourny

You can actually find this on a Hawkeye site. :)

As you can see from 8 posts above, on this page:

Garza's already winning some national player of the year awards, and is getting endorsed by many well known bb gerus. I think he will get the big one too

Reactions: Franisdaman
Were any of those other four players National Player of the year?

Just Glenn Robinson.

Naismith National Player of the Year:
1994: Glenn Robinson, Purdue
1976: Scott May, Indiana
1986: Johnny Dawkins, Duke
1987: David Robinson, Navy

AP Player of the Year:
1976: Scott May, Indiana
1986: Walter Berry, St Johns

Wooden Award:
1976: n/a
1986: Walter Berry, St Johns

ESq7BpoWsAAKQ7i

I am starting to think that Luka actually has a chance to win the Wooden. Seems like he's gathering momentum. I have been thinking Topping for sure with the way the talking heads at ESPN have been discounting Luka.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT