ADVERTISEMENT

"Made with Sea Salt".....

Joes Place

HR King
Aug 28, 2003
....isn't 'sea salt' just "regular salt", but exposed to a higher concentration of fish feces?

What's the 'Natural Foods' crowd take on this? That fish poop is healthy for you?

Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that helps maintain a healthy thyroid. Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value, despite the fact that sea salt is often promoted as being healthier. Sea salt and table salt contain comparable amounts of sodium by weight.

Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that helps maintain a healthy thyroid. Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value, despite the fact that sea salt is often promoted as being healthier. Sea salt and table salt contain comparable amounts of sodium by weight.

...but different levels of fish poop/pee residue. Let's stay honest here.;)

Reactions: alaskanseminole

Ok thanks for the clarification. Any sea salt I have bought always says contains no iodine.

Thanks, Lute.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
Would this be the same thing as asserting a mined diamond is worse because it has been exposed to dirt and other stuff… Where a lab created one has not?

Ask your wife which she would rather have.

If you take the salt out of the ocean then the sea levels will decrease thus helping solve the global warming “problem”.

Sea salt has trace amounts of some minerals in it that you don't find in table salt. Supposed to give it more flavor. It doesn't contain iodine as far as I know. Bottom line, table salt is just really old sea salt that's been processed.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Sea salt has trace amounts of some minerals in it that you don't find in table salt. Supposed to give it more flavor. It doesn't contain iodine as far as I know. Bottom line, table salt is just really old sea salt that's been processed.

I find that it doesn't taste as salty as table salt or kosher salt, and I have to use more of it to get the same effect.

Would this be the same thing as asserting a mined diamond is worse because it has been exposed to dirt and other stuff… Where a lab created one has not?

Ask your wife which she would rather have.
I feel like you want me to say the mined diamonds are better, but those involve inhuman working conditions and are often used to fund terrorism and other shady dealings. Maybe I don’t really understand ladies very well. :confused:

....isn't 'sea salt' just "regular salt", but exposed to a higher concentration of fish feces?

What's the 'Natural Foods' crowd take on this? That fish poop is healthy for you?
Yeah, but it’s Spanish fish feces. Spanish. Do you have any idea how sophisticated European fish are?

No. You see “IN famous” means “More than famous”. We’re not just famous...we’re IN FAMOUS.

...but different levels of fish poop/pee residue. Let's stay honest here.;)

Meh. You consume worse if you ever eat in a restaurant or get fast food. And it you’re in public a lot and touch things like counter tops or door handles, you’re indirectly touching a lot of penises.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Isn't all salt from ancient seas?
Table salt is. It's then refined to remove chemicals and some minerals, treated to prevent clumping, and iodized. Sea salt is made by evaporating sea water and isolating the salt. No other treatments so no anti-clumping agents and no iodine.

Thanks, Lute.
lldi02-a-_-face-_-4800_1.jpg

I've seen it recommended because of taste and texture. Here's what the Mayo Clinic says:

The main differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste, texture and processing.

Sea salt is produced through evaporation of ocean water or water from saltwater lakes, usually with little processing. Depending on the water source, this leaves behind certain trace minerals and elements. The minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.

Table salt is typically mined from underground salt deposits. Table salt is more heavily processed to eliminate minerals and usually contains an additive to prevent clumping. Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that helps maintain a healthy thyroid.

I find that it doesn't taste as salty as table salt or kosher salt, and I have to use more of it to get the same effect.
Regular table salt has sugar added to it to tone down the bitter taste of the anti lumping that they add. Kosher salt is nothing more than salt with jagged crystals that allows it to stick to meat better for curing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT