ADVERTISEMENT

Maher: women are “catty,” Fever need to jump to CC’s defense

This isn't going to go well for CC.

I wonder how this will affect the CC and KM relationship. Initially I thought it might be good for CC to have KM in the league so she has a friend. But KM is trying to make it in the league and doesn't want to make waves so she's probably going to stay quiet. That might make CC feel like KM doesn't have her back.

I wonder how this will affect the CC and KM relationship. Initially I thought it might be good for CC to have KM in the league so she has a friend. But KM is trying to make it in the league and doesn't want to make waves so she's probably going to stay quiet. That might make CC feel like KM doesn't have her back.
They talk frequently so I would guess Martin has given Clark support and encouragement

First of all, nonsense that KM won’t have her back.

Also, at that recent presser with KM and Wilson, I took KM’s comments about how much support she has been getting from the Aces as a little bit of shade towards the Fever and how Caitlin seems to be on an island over there. All the things KM was referencing were things noticeably missing from the Fever/Clark situation.

Also, at that recent presser with KM and Wilson, I took KM’s comments about how much support she has been getting from the Aces as a little bit of shade towards the Fever and how Caitlin seems to be on an island over there. All the things KM was referencing were things noticeably missing from the Fever/Clark situation.
After watching the video where they hazed the rookie and had the team bus leave her behind it seems like Kate has a pretty ideal situation and some teammates who really like her.

Yeah Fever team chemistry is terrible. Ultimately that is on the coach even if it means releasing a talented player.

What did he say? I must have missed that post or at least don't remember it.
He very early stated that CC would have a very rough time in the WNBA because she was a straight, white girl. That many of the players in the league would not accept her because of the lesbian culture and quite frankly, racism from the black players. Let's just say those who do not like his politics weren't exactly accepting of his position. Reality sucks.

star wars fighting GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

It's unfortunate, but not surprising at all. I worked in an office for ten years that consisted of 90% women (no pics) ranging in age from their mid-20s to late 30s. "Catty" doesn't begin to cover it.
I am an administrator in a field/office much like you - even the female managers use the term "mean girls." When you have that environment, which over the years I have lived through - the word toxic does not do it justice.

I am an administrator in a field/office much like you - even the female managers use the term "mean girls." When you have that environment, which over the years I have lived through - the word toxic does not do it justice.
My eight-year-old daughter just finished up second grade. The "mean girl" shite started when she was six. No joke. Luckily, since day one, we have asked her to be nice to everyone. If she sees someone that appears to need a friend or is upset, to intervene. She has won multiple kindness/helpful awards in each of her school years. She has also intervened in multiple bullying situations standing up for the person being bullied. No clue if it will carry forward as she gets older, but we are sure trying. We are hopeful that our three-year-old son will follow suit.

WNBA is so poorly managed, they have no idea how to expand and retain their viewership, this once-in-a-lifetime, generational opportunity. The future of this league depends on its ability to promote and draw Mothers/Fathers and daughters to the arena and the TV. They need to appeal to the masses, not just the smaller 7% LBGT and 14% African American community. They need to strictly play the families "numbers game" better. Clean up the bullying, attacks, cheap shots, and targeting, and yes sadly, they need to make some progress on eliminating the catfighting and the reverse racism abundant in the league and social media, build your league this way, and more families will come,,, along with higher salaries for all, everyone should be happy with that!

Last edited:
WNBA is so poorly managed, they have no idea how to expand their viewership, this once in a lifetime, generational opportunity. The future of this league depends on its ability to promote and draw Mothers/Fathers and daughters to the arena and the TV. They need to appeal to the masses, not just the smaller 7% LBGT community. Clean up the bullying, targeting and reverse racism, build it this way, and more families will come.
I think I would blame the structure of being monetized by the NBA. The leadership may not be held as accountable as they should be when running a business on their own merit. If that was the case, they would be begging to have Clark on the Olympic team to expand their brand worldwide. It's binary and shows how incredibly stupid they are.

My eight-year-old daughter just finished up second grade. The "mean girl" shite started when she was six. No joke. Luckily, since day one, we have asked her to be nice to everyone. If she sees someone that appears to need a friend or is upset, to intervene. She has won multiple kindness/helpful awards in each of her school years. She has also intervened in multiple bullying situations standing up for the person being bullied. No clue if it will carry forward as she gets older, but we are sure trying. We are hopeful that our three-year-old son will follow suit.
How sad, I figured that would start at the 6th grade like it did for my class.

WNBA is so poorly managed, they have no idea how to expand and retain their viewership, this once-in-a-lifetime, generational opportunity. The future of this league depends on its ability to promote and draw Mothers/Fathers and daughters to the arena and the TV. They need to appeal to the masses, not just the smaller 7% LBGT community. Clean up the bullying, attacks, cheap shots, targeting, and yes sadly, and make some progress on eliminating the catfighting and the reverse racism abundant in the league and social media, build your league this way, and more families will come,,, along with higher salaries for all, everyone should be happy with that!
Some parallels, not exact, but they were hemorrhaging viewers and support. Substitute Caitlin for Magic and Bird, (and add Jordan in the early 80s) and you have the WNBA in 2024. What direction does the WNBA want to go?

1970s NBA on the brink

Byron Scott Credits Magic and Bird

Some parallels, not exact, but they were hemorrhaging viewers and support. Substitute Caitlin for Magic and Bird, (and add Jordan in the early 80s) and you have the WNBA in 2024. What direction does the WNBA want to go?

1970s NBA on the brink

Byron Scott Credits Magic and Bird
Bird took a lot of racial crap too - even from his own teammates initially. He was tested but won them over because he could play and gave sh$t back better than almost anyone. The final outcome here is likely going to be due to the differences between men and women.

Bird took a lot of racial crap too - even from his own teammates initially. He was tested but won them over because he could play and gave sh$t back better than almost anyone. The final outcome here is likely going to be due to the differences between men and women.
Yup.

I think I would blame the structure of being monetized by the NBA. The leadership may not be held as accountable as they should be when running a business on their own merit. If that was the case, they would be begging to have Clark on the Olympic team to expand their brand worldwide. It's binary and shows how incredibly stupid they are.
The WNBA ownership/leadership appears to act like "This is all neat! I'm just happy to be here! :)"

Meanwhile at *here*:

200w.gif

Recall Isaiah Thomas said that if Bird was black, he'd just be another good player in the league. Stern shut that down right away, called for a press conference during the NBA Finals with Isaiah and Larry. End of that nonsense. That's how you handle controversy as a leader. Deal with it, don't hope it goes away.

It's unfortunate, but not surprising at all. I worked in an office for ten years that consisted of 90% women (no pics) ranging in age from their mid-20s to late 30s. "Catty" doesn't begin to cover it.
As a teacher, who has spent his career working with majority women...or has coached girls basketball for over 20 years...you're exactly right.

At work, the 2 other men and I just sit back and shake our heads at the nonsense, and say yes all the time, so we don't add to the drama.

He didn't take shit for long at all. Cornbread Maxwell tested him immediately and learned that day that Bird wasn't an ordinary white dude.

As a teacher, who has spent his career working with majority women...or has coached girls basketball for over 20 years...you're exactly right.

At work, the 2 other men and I just sit back and shake our heads at the nonsense, and say yes all the time, so we don't add to the drama.
The solution isn't to poke the bear, or resign yourselves to letting the bear get its way.....................but to show the bear what it fears the most.

Recall Isaiah Thomas said that if Bird was black, he'd just be another good player in the league. Stern shut that down right away, called for a press conference during the NBA Finals with Isaiah and Larry. End of that nonsense. That's how you handle controversy as a leader. Deal with it, don't hope it goes away.
I thought it was Rodman who said that?

This article talks about some uaconn members with favoritism toward player selection.

Nneka has been snubbed before even when league MVP.

He very early stated that CC would have a very rough time in the WNBA because she was a straight, white girl. That many of the players in the league would not accept her because of the lesbian culture and quite frankly, racism from the black players. Let's just say those who do not like his politics weren't exactly accepting of his position. Reality sucks.
I still haven't seen any direct evidence that is the case. I'm sure it is informing their views on some subconscious level but I still think the main issue is she is rich, she is making more money than any of them have made throughout their careers combined, she is famous, and they are jealous of that. They have their "kingdoms" in the league staked out and they don't want the new popular girl threatening their reign.

Many think lesbians and blacks can't be racist...well we are witnessing that's a bunch of bullshit. Maybe people will grow a brain now and understand it can go both ways

I thought it was Rodman who said that?

Rodman started it, then Isaiah agreed with it...

After the Celtics eliminated the Pistons from the 1987 postseason, the forward made some ill-advised comments to the media. “He’s not God,” Rodman said of Bird. “He ain’t the best player in the NBA, not to me. He’s white. That’s the reason he gets it the MVP award. Nobody gives Magic Johnson credit. He deserved it last year, too. I don’t care. Go ahead and tell him. You’ll put it in the paper anyway.”

As recorded in the New York Times, Thomas then chimed in. When asked about Rodman’s comments, he said he “had to agree with” them. “Larry Bird is a very, very good basketball player,” the guard said. ”But if he was black he’d be just another guy.”

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
I still haven't seen any direct evidence that is the case. I'm sure it is informing their views on some subconscious level but I still think the main issue is she is rich, she is making more money than any of them have made throughout their careers combined, she is famous, and they are jealous of that. They have their "kingdoms" in the league staked out and they don't want the new popular girl threatening their reign.
It is certainly funny/ironic that if this situation were reversed you likely would have very quickly seen that "direct evidence" and would not have left it at plain old jealousy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT