ADVERTISEMENT

Maher: women are “catty,” Fever need to jump to CC’s defense

I think I would blame the structure of being monetized by the NBA. The leadership may not be held as accountable as they should be when running a business on their own merit. If that was the case, they would be begging to have Clark on the Olympic team to expand their brand worldwide. It's binary and shows how incredibly stupid they are.
Exactly!

Rodman started it, then Isaiah agreed with it...

After the Celtics eliminated the Pistons from the 1987 postseason, the forward made some ill-advised comments to the media. “He’s not God,” Rodman said of Bird. “He ain’t the best player in the NBA, not to me. He’s white. That’s the reason he gets it the MVP award. Nobody gives Magic Johnson credit. He deserved it last year, too. I don’t care. Go ahead and tell him. You’ll put it in the paper anyway.”

As recorded in the New York Times, Thomas then chimed in. When asked about Rodman’s comments, he said he “had to agree with” them. “Larry Bird is a very, very good basketball player,” the guard said. ”But if he was black he’d be just another guy.”

I'd forgotten about Rodman's comments. I recall the press conference with Bird and Thomas. That's probably why I remember Isaiah's comments, but not Rodman. Could you imagine if Rodman was at that press conference?

It's unfortunate, but not surprising at all. I worked in an office for ten years that consisted of 90% women (no pics) ranging in age from their mid-20s to late 30s. "Catty" doesn't begin to cover it.
Funny thing. I worked the early years at Cabela's in Prairie Duchien Wi.
95% women working there. You couldn't get them all to have a good day anytime.
Catty, back biting and bitching about something all the time.

I'd forgotten about Rodman's comments. I recall the press conference with Bird and Thomas. That's probably why I remember Isaiah's comments, but not Rodman. Could you imagine if Rodman was at that press conference?
I don't think Rodman became the side show act until he came to Chicago. At least not the full version.

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
"Catty" doesn't begin to cover it.
84897e2a-5025-4575-8fc6-cf4f0475a675_text.gif

Funny thing. I worked the early years at Cabela's in Prairie Duchien Wi.
95% women working there. You couldn't get them all to have a good day anytime.
Catty, back biting and bitching about something all the time.
That store was one of my go to's for my Canada trips. Loved fishing on the Mississippi too. My last time there (just across the river from the Villa Louis) I caught 12 different species of fish in one area about the size of the average home pool.

It is certainly funny/ironic that if this situation were reversed you likely would have very quickly seen that "direct evidence" and would not have left it at plain old jealousy.

FWIW isn’t the end result the same ?

Yes it probably is but how it gets to that point is often the issue to debate.

Not arguing, but a pet peeve of mine is….everything has to be labeled and everyone wants to rush to make things about race.

In all of human history, pride, selfishness and jealousy has driven our motives. It really doesn’t need to be more than that 🤷‍♂️

Just my 2cents

WNBA is so poorly managed, .....

Clean up the bullying, attacks, cheap shots, and targeting, and yes sadly, they need to make some progress on eliminating the catfighting and the reverse racism abundant in the league and social media,

I agree with you but I would also say they should clean it all up because fans want to see well played basketball rather than a hockey/wrestling match in tennis shoes on hardwood. I like to see defenders try to stop the dribble drive with their feet rather that bumping and grabbing, I like to see great offensive players be able to move without being hammered.

It is a beautiful game when played and officiated to be low on contact. Call some fouls

CC should be making 12 free throws a game from what little I have seen and read

I think I would blame the structure of being monetized by the NBA. The leadership may not be held as accountable as they should be when running a business on their own merit. If that was the case, they would be begging to have Clark on the Olympic team to expand their brand worldwide. It's binary and shows how incredibly stupid they are.
Artificially subsidized products/organizations/movements rarely if ever turn out a good product or result. You can paint with a pretty broad brush on this one.

It's unfortunate, but not surprising at all. I worked in an office for ten years that consisted of 90% women (no pics) ranging in age from their mid-20s to late 30s. "Catty" doesn't begin to cover it.
Yep, I've worked in mental health the last ten years and let me tell you, it can be rough at times. I feel like John Goodman often in Big Lebowski, "Has the whole world gone crazy!?" It's been a toxic environment usually for straight men and most don't last long. I'm always involved in some game I never seem to understand and I'm well liked but I can't stand it truthfully. I'm prior military but that was cake compared to an all female crew. Not all participate but ALL have to play the game at points.

The automatic disdain my female co-workers (we're management) inevitably develop for otherwise good guys/girls just pisses me off. Ultimately, I just need a little more diversity in my direct work environment. I just want to get my job done right and not be bothered. The things I pretend to agree with or support just to make the day bearable is astounding. It's hard though, some of these viewpoints I have to listen to are beyond insane, truly. Like, I question whether humanity is worth preserving often with some of these viewpoints that always turn political at some point. When I tell these stories to my contemporaries later, they're often flabbergasted how I stay sane, no joke. It's just a normal day for me though. It's tough...yeah.

Yep, I've worked in mental health the last ten years and let me tell you, it can be rough at times. I feel like John Goodman often in Big Lebowski, "Has the whole world gone crazy!?" It's been a toxic environment usually for straight men and most don't last long. I'm always involved in some game I never seem to understand and I'm well liked but I can't stand it truthfully. I'm prior military but that was cake compared to an all female crew. Not all participate but ALL have to play the game at points.

The automatic disdain my female co-workers (we're management) inevitably develop for otherwise good guys/girls just pisses me off. Ultimately, I just need a little more diversity in my direct work environment. I just want to get my job done right and not be bothered. The things I pretend to agree with or support just to make the day bearable is astounding. It's hard though, some of these viewpoints I have to listen to are beyond insane, truly. Like, I question whether humanity is worth preserving often with some of these viewpoints that always turn political at some point. When I tell these stories to my contemporaries later, they're often flabbergasted how I stay sane, no joke. It's just a normal day for me though. It's tough...yeah.
The "selfie" captures today's culture (particularly women) pretty well. Pun intended.

Reactions: SB_SB and AEG82
Hey, Maher FINALLY got one right. But he's still a self-absorbed dolt.
I'm as conservative as they come, but he makes a lot of sense a surprising amount of time.
Even when I don't agree with him--which is still pretty often--I at least see his reasoning and thought behind his views. That I totally respect. It's the sheep who just spout off what they've been told with zero cognizant effort on their own part that irritate me--on both sides.

I'm as conservative as they come, but he makes a lot of sense a surprising amount of time.
Even when I don't agree with him--which is still pretty often--I at least see his reasoning and thought behind his views. That I totally respect. It's the sheep who just spout off what they've been told with zero cognizant effort on their own part that irritate me--on both sides.
I like him. He is pretty hard on everyone, something that is awfully rare.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
WNBA Commissioner weighs in. She conveniently left out Caitlin being called a bitch when taken out. Seriously, does Caitlin have one friend in the WNBA?

“Did anyone say she was targeted in that game?’’ Engelbert said.

“No, because everyone’s just looking for the outcome that they want," Engelbert added.

“I think everybody’s watching Caitlin, so they’re focused only on Caitlin,’’ Engelbert said. “But when you look across other games (with) other players, it’s a physical game. There’s no doubt about it. It’s a pure shooter’s game, it’s a physical game, it’s a lot of pick-and-rolls, a lot of seeing the floor.’’

"They care enough to type thousands of emails to me,'' Engelbert said. "You know, talking about the WNBA and the physical play. And those aren't just Caitlin. Those are other players, too, that, like, 'Cathy you need to do this, you need to do that.' So people care. I love it."

Kate is great, but she's not going to blow up like CC. Her phenom was unique. Kate is a role player on her team. CC was hailed as the savior of the WNBA before she even stepped on the court.
Yeah, some of the veteran WNBA players have the same opinion of CC as the pharisees and Sanhedrin had about Jesus.

The WNBA is becoming high maintenance with too much drama. All the new fans will eventually walk away.
It's for the most part it's a pretty "rough watch" too. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Iowa women play their fast paced up and down brand of basketball. I would not watch one second if it was not to check in and see how CC is doing. Otherwise it's a hard pass.

It's for the most part it's a pretty "rough watch" too. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Iowa women play their fast paced up and down brand of basketball. I would not watch one second if it was not to check in and see how CC is doing. Otherwise it's a hard pass.
Just saw that the WNBA is expected to lose $50M this year. That’s more than ever (previous estimates were around 10M annually according to Adam Silver). The charter flights are estimated to cost about $25M.

These women are in no position to complain about anything.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT