ADVERTISEMENT

Man charged with hitting, killing woman with truck in Bettendorf

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
Vehicle violence getting out of control

BETTENDORF, Iowa (KWQC) - A Goose Lake, Iowa man is facing charges after police say he ran over his girlfriend, killing her, during an argument Tuesday night in Bettendorf.

Logan Paul Voss, 24, was booked into the Scott County Jail on charges of homicide by vehicle – operating under the influence, a Class B felony punishable by 25 years in prison, and operating while under the influence first offense, a serious misdemeanor.

He is expected to appear in Scott County Court via video arraignment Wednesday morning.

Vehicle violence getting out of control

BETTENDORF, Iowa (KWQC) - A Goose Lake, Iowa man is facing charges after police say he ran over his girlfriend, killing her, during an argument Tuesday night in Bettendorf.

Logan Paul Voss, 24, was booked into the Scott County Jail on charges of homicide by vehicle – operating under the influence, a Class B felony punishable by 25 years in prison, and operating while under the influence first offense, a serious misdemeanor.

He is expected to appear in Scott County Court via video arraignment Wednesday morning.

This makes me sad. I will stick to the poop-outside-the-toilet-bowl threads.

Is 25 years enough?
It's not enough and I don't understand why they're pursuing that charge. Homicide by vehicle under the Iowa Code is when you unintentionally cause a person's death by operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. This sounds like he ran over her intentionally. That's murder just the same as if he had shot her or beat her to death with a baseball bat.

Evidently this took place in a convenience store parking lot, so presumably there is surveillance video of the incident.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
It's not enough and I don't understand why they're pursuing that charge. Homicide by vehicle under the Iowa Code is when you unintentionally cause a person's death by operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. This sounds like he ran over her intentionally. That's murder just the same as if he had shot her or beat her to death with a baseball bat.

Evidently this took place in a convenience store parking lot, so presumably there is surveillance video of the incident.
Premeditated Murder?
He had to think about it before he ran her over.

Premeditated Murder?
He had to think about it before he ran her over.
I'm not sure how they specifically define premeditation. It sounds like this was a heat-of-the-moment thing and maybe not premeditated. So perhaps second-degree murder, which carries a maximum penalty of 50 years. All I know is the charge they currently have against him is for unintentionally killing someone while driving under the influence and it doesn't sound like that's what happened here.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Florida man be like

giphy.gif

Reactions: hawkeye54545

I read in a different article that he mentioned she was trying to get out of his truck while it was moving, and that's how he ran over her. I'm guessing it's BS but that may be what that charge stems from at this point.

Reactions: TJ8869
I read in a different article that he mentioned she was trying to get out of his truck while it was moving, and that's how he ran over her. I'm guessing it's BS but that may be what that charge stems from at this point.
Which if true and no video it may be easier to get a conviction.

That's where hopefully video surveillance will clear things up.

Reactions: McLovin32
Which if true and no video it may be easier to get a conviction.
Maybe prosecutors are hedging their bet? It's easy to prove that he accidentally killed her while driving drunk and secure a 25 year sentence, rather than charging him with doing it intentionally and shooting for 50 years and risk having him acquitted.

Reactions: torbee
That's almost right under the new 74 bridge so you would think they have cameras all over that thing that might have seen something.

Guessing they came from the Tree House. Owner probably gave him some tips
Wow, good call!

The report from the Bettendorf Police detailed some of the evening Voss and Decker spent together. According to officers, Voss said he drank six beers and two tequila shots in two hours at Treehouse Pub and Eatery, 2239 Kimberly Road, prior to driving.

• Wow
Reactions: Bro D
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT