ADVERTISEMENT

Man with chainsaw wounds 5 in Swiss city; manhunt on for him

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
An unkempt man armed with a chainsaw wounded five people Monday at a health insurance office in the northern Swiss city of Schaffhausen and then fled, police said. A manhunt was on for him.

Five people were taken to the hospital, including two with serious injuries who worked for the CSS insurance company.

Swiss police were alerted to the attack at 10:39 a.m. A rescue helicopter was brought in to help the victims and the old town in Schaffhausen was sealed off.

Police warned that "the suspect is dangerous" but added "this case is not a terrorist act." They said it wasn't clear whether he still had the chainsaw.

By Monday afternoon, Swiss police had identified the suspect, whom they described as being about 1 meter 90 centimeters tall (6.2 feet) with a bald head and an unkempt appearance. They did not name him but released old photos of the suspect wearing a green T-shirt and black jeans, standing among some trees.

Police later Monday found the Volkswagen minivan with registration plates from the southeastern Swiss canton (state) of Graubuenden that the man was believed to be driving. They did not elaborate on its condition or say if anything else was found in it.

A health insurance company with a ground-floor office in the Schaffhausen building where the attack took place said two of its employees had to be taken to a hospital.

"We can confirm that a man with a chainsaw came into the agency and seriously wounded two of our employees," said Christina Wettstein, a spokeswoman for insurer CSS. "They are undergoing operations at the moment and we don't know how they are."

The company doesn't know yet whether the other three wounded people were customers or passers-by, she added. It also doesn't know whether the attacker was a customer.

Schaffhausen is a city of about 36,000 people north of Zurich, near the border with Germany.

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/news...cle_23318ebc-759d-5766-8349-dd6fb2eb0c89.html

Was he using the Sthil Farm Boss?

23ed8c5f2e2d3a9a4bad9f2f002ba6aa.jpg

Was he using the Sthil Farm Boss?

23ed8c5f2e2d3a9a4bad9f2f002ba6aa.jpg
I was born in the backwoods
Of a two-bit nowhere town
Fathered up some rock 'n' roll (baby)
So you muthers could boogie down
I ain't whistling dixie
No I'm a rebel with a groove
All around the world the ygo 'round and 'round
When they dig on my new stainless steel sound

I'm a lumberjack baby
I'm gonna cut you down to size
I'm a lumberjack baby
And you're the one that gets my prize
And when you hear my motor running
You know I surely be coppin' a rise
So I'm gonna crank it up and cut it down

I'm a lumberjack baby
I'm a lumberjack now baby
I'm a lumberjack baby
I'm a lumberjack baby
But I ain't jacked my lumber baby
Since my chain saw you

Whether you like it, or whether you don't...
That's the way we like it!

How many dead if this were the US and the NRA had made sure he had a gun?

How many dead if this were the US and the NRA had made sure he had a gun?

You're an idiot.

Firearms legislation in Switzerland is comparatively liberal, more similar to gun politics in the United States than to that in most European Union countries. The reason is a long tradition of shooting (tirs) as a formative element of national identity in the post-Napoleonic Restoration of the Confederacy,[1] and the long-standing practice of a militia organization of the Swiss Army in which soldiers' service rifles are stored privately at home. In addition to this, many cantons (notably the alpine cantons of Grisons and Valais) have strong traditions of hunting, accounting for a large but unknown number of privately held hunting rifles.

The applicable federal legislations are SR 514.54 Federal Law on Weapons, Weapon Equipment and Ammunition (German: Waffengesetz, WG, French: Loi sur les armes, LArm, Italian: Legge sulle armi, LArm) of 20 June 1997 (current edition of 1. July 2016, revised 01.01.1999),[2] and SR 514.541 Ordinance on Weapons, Armament Accessories and Ammunition (German: Waffenverordnung, WV, French: Ordonnance sur les armes, OArm, Italian: Ordinanza sulle armi, OArm) of 2 July 2008 (current edition of 1. July 2016, revised 12.12.2008).[3]The Weapons Law recognises a qualified "right to acquire, possess and carry arms".[note 1][2]

It allows the free purchase of semi-automatic, but not fully-automatic, firearms by Swiss citizens and foreigners with permanent residence.[note 2][3]

Permits for concealed carrying in public are issued only extremely restrictively.[note 3][2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Switzerland

You're an idiot.

Firearms legislation in Switzerland is comparatively liberal, more similar to gun politics in the United States than to that in most European Union countries. The reason is a long tradition of shooting (tirs) as a formative element of national identity in the post-Napoleonic Restoration of the Confederacy,[1] and the long-standing practice of a militia organization of the Swiss Army in which soldiers' service rifles are stored privately at home. In addition to this, many cantons (notably the alpine cantons of Grisons and Valais) have strong traditions of hunting, accounting for a large but unknown number of privately held hunting rifles.

The applicable federal legislations are SR 514.54 Federal Law on Weapons, Weapon Equipment and Ammunition (German: Waffengesetz, WG, French: Loi sur les armes, LArm, Italian: Legge sulle armi, LArm) of 20 June 1997 (current edition of 1. July 2016, revised 01.01.1999),[2] and SR 514.541 Ordinance on Weapons, Armament Accessories and Ammunition (German: Waffenverordnung, WV, French: Ordonnance sur les armes, OArm, Italian: Ordinanza sulle armi, OArm) of 2 July 2008 (current edition of 1. July 2016, revised 12.12.2008).[3]The Weapons Law recognises a qualified "right to acquire, possess and carry arms".[note 1][2]

It allows the free purchase of semi-automatic, but not fully-automatic, firearms by Swiss citizens and foreigners with permanent residence.[note 2][3]

Permits for concealed carrying in public are issued only extremely restrictively.[note 3][2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Switzerland
Yes, I know they have a tradition of gun ownership. They were afraid the Nazis would come for the gold they funneled through Switzerland. Show me where they have no regulations on competency. They are liberal by European standards, not by US standards.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yes, I know they have a tradition of gun ownership. They were afraid the Nazis would come for the gold they funneled through Switzerland. Show me where they have no regulations on competency. They are liberal by European standards, not by US standards.

Jeebus. Read the damn link.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT