ADVERTISEMENT

Many post Covid patients are experiencing new medical problems

SoMplsHawkI

HR Heisman
Apr 20, 2006
Get vaccinated.

Hundreds of thousands of Americans have sought medical care for post-COVID health problems that they had not been diagnosed with before becoming infected with the coronavirus, according to the largest study to date of long-term symptoms in COVID-19 patients.

The study, tracking the health insurance records of nearly 2 million people in the United States who contracted the coronavirus last year, found that one month or more after their infection, almost one-quarter — 23% — of them sought medical treatment for new conditions.

Those affected were all ages, including children. Their most common new health problems were pain, including in nerves and muscles; breathing difficulties; high cholesterol; malaise and fatigue; and high blood pressure. Other issues included intestinal symptoms; migraines; skin problems; heart abnormalities; sleep disorders; and mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression.

Post-COVID health problems were common even among people who had not gotten sick from the virus at all, the study found. While nearly half of patients who were hospitalized for COVID-19 experienced subsequent medical issues, so did 27% of people who had mild or moderate symptoms and 19% of people who said they were asymptomatic.

"One thing that was surprising to us was the large percentage of asymptomatic patients that are in that category of long COVID," said Robin Gelburd, president of FAIR Health, a nonprofit organization that conducted the study based on what it says is the nation's largest database of private health insurance claims.

More than half of the 1,959,982 patients whose records were evaluated reported no symptoms from their COVID infection. Forty percent had symptoms but didn't require hospitalization, including 1% whose only symptom was loss of taste or smell; only 5% were hospitalized.

Gelburd said the fact that asymptomatic people can have post-COVID symptoms is important to emphasize, so that patients and doctors can know to consider the possibility that some health issues may actually be aftereffects of the coronavirus. "There are some people who may not have even known they had COVID," she said, "but if they continue to present with some of these conditions that are unusual for their health history, it may be worth some further investigation by the medical professional that they're working with."

The report analyzed records of people diagnosed with COVID-19 between February and December 2020, tracking them until February 2021. It found that 454,477 people consulted health providers for symptoms 30 days or more after their infection. FAIR Health said the analysis was evaluated by an independent academic reviewer but was not formally peer-reviewed.

"The strength of this study is really its size and its ability to look across the range of disease severity in a diversity of age groups," said Dr. Helen Chu, an associate professor of medicine and infectious diseases at the University of Washington School of Medicine, who was not involved in the report. "This is a hard study to do with that much data."

The report "drives home the point that long COVID can affect nearly every organ system," said Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, chief of the research and development service at the VA St. Louis Health Care System, who was not involved in the new study.

"Some of these manifestations are chronic conditions that will last a lifetime and will forever scar some individuals and families," added Al-Aly, who was an author of a large study published in April of lingering symptoms in COVID patients in the Department of Veterans Affairs health system.

In the new study, the most common issue for which patients sought medical care was pain — including nerve inflammation and aches and pains associated with nerves and muscles — which was reported by more than 5% of patients or nearly 100,000 people, more than a fifth of those who reported post-COVID problems. Breathing difficulties, including shortness of breath, were experienced by 3.5% of post-COVID patients.

Nearly 3% of patients sought treatment for symptoms that were labeled with diagnostic codes for malaise and fatigue, a far-reaching category that could include issues such as brain fog and exhaustion that gets worse after physical or mental activity — effects that have been reported by many people with long COVID.

The report did not explore connections between other preexisting conditions patients had and their likelihood of developing post-COVID symptoms. But it said that people with intellectual disabilities or those with Alzheimer's disease or dementia had a greater risk of dying 30 days or more after their infection.

Overall, experts said, the report's findings underscore the widespread and varied nature of post-COVID symptoms.

Get vaccinated.

Hundreds of thousands of Americans have sought medical care for post-COVID health problems that they had not been diagnosed with before becoming infected with the coronavirus, according to the largest study to date of long-term symptoms in COVID-19 patients.

The study, tracking the health insurance records of nearly 2 million people in the United States who contracted the coronavirus last year, found that one month or more after their infection, almost one-quarter — 23% — of them sought medical treatment for new conditions.

Those affected were all ages, including children. Their most common new health problems were pain, including in nerves and muscles; breathing difficulties; high cholesterol; malaise and fatigue; and high blood pressure. Other issues included intestinal symptoms; migraines; skin problems; heart abnormalities; sleep disorders; and mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression.

Post-COVID health problems were common even among people who had not gotten sick from the virus at all, the study found. While nearly half of patients who were hospitalized for COVID-19 experienced subsequent medical issues, so did 27% of people who had mild or moderate symptoms and 19% of people who said they were asymptomatic.

"One thing that was surprising to us was the large percentage of asymptomatic patients that are in that category of long COVID," said Robin Gelburd, president of FAIR Health, a nonprofit organization that conducted the study based on what it says is the nation's largest database of private health insurance claims.

More than half of the 1,959,982 patients whose records were evaluated reported no symptoms from their COVID infection. Forty percent had symptoms but didn't require hospitalization, including 1% whose only symptom was loss of taste or smell; only 5% were hospitalized.

Gelburd said the fact that asymptomatic people can have post-COVID symptoms is important to emphasize, so that patients and doctors can know to consider the possibility that some health issues may actually be aftereffects of the coronavirus. "There are some people who may not have even known they had COVID," she said, "but if they continue to present with some of these conditions that are unusual for their health history, it may be worth some further investigation by the medical professional that they're working with."

The report analyzed records of people diagnosed with COVID-19 between February and December 2020, tracking them until February 2021. It found that 454,477 people consulted health providers for symptoms 30 days or more after their infection. FAIR Health said the analysis was evaluated by an independent academic reviewer but was not formally peer-reviewed.

"The strength of this study is really its size and its ability to look across the range of disease severity in a diversity of age groups," said Dr. Helen Chu, an associate professor of medicine and infectious diseases at the University of Washington School of Medicine, who was not involved in the report. "This is a hard study to do with that much data."

The report "drives home the point that long COVID can affect nearly every organ system," said Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, chief of the research and development service at the VA St. Louis Health Care System, who was not involved in the new study.

"Some of these manifestations are chronic conditions that will last a lifetime and will forever scar some individuals and families," added Al-Aly, who was an author of a large study published in April of lingering symptoms in COVID patients in the Department of Veterans Affairs health system.

In the new study, the most common issue for which patients sought medical care was pain — including nerve inflammation and aches and pains associated with nerves and muscles — which was reported by more than 5% of patients or nearly 100,000 people, more than a fifth of those who reported post-COVID problems. Breathing difficulties, including shortness of breath, were experienced by 3.5% of post-COVID patients.

Nearly 3% of patients sought treatment for symptoms that were labeled with diagnostic codes for malaise and fatigue, a far-reaching category that could include issues such as brain fog and exhaustion that gets worse after physical or mental activity — effects that have been reported by many people with long COVID.

The report did not explore connections between other preexisting conditions patients had and their likelihood of developing post-COVID symptoms. But it said that people with intellectual disabilities or those with Alzheimer's disease or dementia had a greater risk of dying 30 days or more after their infection.

Overall, experts said, the report's findings underscore the widespread and varied nature of post-COVID symptoms.
“Get vaccinated.”

No. Many post-covid vaccine recipients are experiencing serious medical issues. I’ll pass.

Did you not read your own thread title? ‘Many’ works for thee but not for me? 😁
I backed up "many" with some research. You backed up "many" with what? Anecdotal evidence?
That's a convincing strategy. 😳

And BTW be sure to thank everyone who did get vaccinated that allows you to ride safely in their wake.
On second thought never mind. You're nothing but a vaccination welfare queen.

To get serious again, I wonder how this collection of complaints compares with the "normal" range of complaints in non-COVID times? Or complaints from vaccinated folks.

How do we know this isn't just pent up demand? I don't know about everybody else, but I certainly put off going to the doctor during the pandemic. I imagine at some point people who have been vaccinated feel safe to take the complaints they've been ignoring/enduring to their doc.

I backed up "many" with some research. You backed up "many" with what? Anecdotal evidence?
That's a convincing strategy. 😳

And BTW be sure to thank everyone who did get vaccinated that allows you to ride safely in their wake.
On second thought never mind. You're nothing but a vaccination welfare queen.
I don’t need anyone doing anything for my benefit: my immune system already handled the virus and is ready to face it over and over again if need be.

You didn’t actually post research, just an article talking about a non-peer reviewed study...that seemed to have a lot of disclaimers. :rolleyes:

•The study, like many involving electronic records, only addressed some aspects of the post-COVID landscape. It did not say when patients' symptoms arose or how long the problems persisted, and it did not evaluate exactly when after infection patients sought help from doctors, only that it was 30 days or more.
The study, like many involving electronic records, only addressed some aspects of the post-COVID landscape. It did not say when patients' symptoms arose or how long the problems persisted, and it did not evaluate exactly when after infection patients sought help from doctors, only that it was 30 days or more.

The database included only people with private health insurance or Medicare Advantage, not those uninsured or covered by Medicare Parts A, B and D, Medicaid or other government health programs.

In addition, diagnostic codes in electronic records are "only as good as what is documented by the provider who saw the patient," said Chu, a co-author of a smaller study of post-COVID symptoms among patients at the University of Washington.

It's also possible that some people classified as having asymptomatic COVID-19 infections developed symptoms after they tested positive. And some people who received their first diagnosis of a medical issue such as hypertension or high cholesterol post-COVID might have previously had those issues but never sought or received treatment.

Another limitation of the study is that it did not compare people who had COVID-19 with those who did not, making it unclear if rates of post-COVID symptoms were higher than in a more general population. Al-Aly's study, which made such a comparison, found that between one and six months after becoming infected with the coronavirus, patients who'd had COVID had a 60% greater risk of death and a 20% greater chance of needing outpatient medical care than people who had not been infected.

The FAIR Health report excluded patients with certain serious or chronic preexisting conditions such as cancer, kidney disease, HIV, liver disease and stroke because researchers said it would be difficult to separate their previous health status from post-COVID symptoms.

The report did not explore connections between other preexisting conditions patients had and their likelihood of developing post-COVID symptoms.

When I posted that the estimate was 10%-30% of those who contracted the disease - irrespective of severity - the anti-vaxxers and MAGAs came out in droves.

Looks like this is smack in the middle of that estimate (which came from a Mayo Clinic doc, IIRC).

Reactions: Moral
Updated today; almost 360,000 adverse events and >4,600 deaths*

*vastly underreported
Again: UNVERIFIED RAW DATA

Not sure what part of this is so difficult for you to grasp.

Meanwhile, Delta variant is estimated to be 50-70% more transmissable and 30-50% more lethal than the original virus.

I'm sure you are likewise unaware that 2020 deaths rates among those 15-64 years old occurred at a HIGHER percent increase, than they were for those 65+.
In those lower age groups, the nominal deaths rates jumped 20-25%, compared with <20% for older people.

Again: UNVERIFIED RAW DATA

Not sure what part of this is so difficult for you to grasp.

Meanwhile, Delta variant is estimated to be 50-70% more transmissable and 30-50% more lethal than the original virus.

I'm sure you are likewise unaware that 2020 deaths rates among those 15-64 years old occurred at a HIGHER percent increase, than they were for those 65+.
In those lower age groups, the nominal deaths rates jumped 20-25%, compared with <20% for older people.
Well the CDC better start verifying that raw data, then. Seems we’re on a slippery slope.:rolleyes:

And it appears that Ivermectin is incredibly effective at stopping the Delta variant.

E4MMsPuXwAE6nzG

Last edited:
Again: no evidence of that.
Again: no evidence of that.
1) The Bradenton Herald never said if the five staffers were vaccinated; it insinuated that they weren’t but that’s seemingly how ‘journalistswith an agenda ‘report the news’ these days.

2) If it wasn’t Ivermectin, how did the epidemic in India flame out with only 3.5% of their population vaccinated while simultaneously battling a variant that’s “...50-70% more transmissable and 30-50% more lethal than the original”?

I’ll hang up and listen.

It’s weird.

I think @shank hawk is nuts, but I lived my life very freely (while following each and every rule) during covid but firmly believed my immune system would dominate it if I got it.

I also think @Joes Place is nuts, but got vaccinated the second I could with no fear because I’m not paranoid and it’s the right thing to do for humanity and to end this thing.

I despise both of their hard line views, but yet I followed each of their leads.

"Many". Weasel word.
I am very pro vaccine and getting vaccinated for this. I will say both my wife and I (mid 30s) have had issues since being vaccinated. Hers are getting better mine have been around for 8 weeks. Docs trying to figure out if they’re related but it hasn’t been fun. That being said I’d rather deal with some minor complications from a vaccine than a disease we know little about. I’ll take a soar throat and swollen lymph nodes over the shit my friends have experiences with Covid.

2) If it wasn’t Ivermectin, how did the epidemic in India flame out

Chandigarh​

From the lows of 20 at the end of February, the union territory is now seeing as many as 700+ new cases in a day now. To prevent further transmission of the virus, the local authorities have imposed lockdown-like restrictions.

Read in depth about the Chandigarh lockdown.

Delhi​

The capital city is registering around 20,000 cases a day. With an unparalleled load on medical facilities, leading to an acute shortage of oxygen cylinders, hospital beds and ventilators, the Delhi government has been forced to announce a stringent lockdown.

Read in depth about the Delhi lockdown.

Haryana​

In spite of keeping its case count well under check right up till March 2021, Haryana is now dealing with an alarming spike in its daily caseload as well as fatality rate. To bring the situation back under control, the state’s cabinet has declared a complete lockdown.

Read in depth about the Haryana lockdown.

Jharkhand​

Although the total cases in the state remain at a comparative low, the daily caseload is on a steep upward trajectory. Jharkhand’s government had therefore decided to observe a “Swasthya Suraksha Saptah” in April, but this lockdown has now been extended.

I am very pro vaccine and getting vaccinated for this. I will say both my wife and I (mid 30s) have had issues since being vaccinated. Hers are getting better mine have been around for 8 weeks. Docs trying to figure out if they’re related but it hasn’t been fun. That being said I’d rather deal with some minor complications from a vaccine than a disease we know little about. I’ll take a soar throat and swollen lymph nodes over the shit my friends have experiences with Covid.
It's not an either/or proposition

I'm confused, I thought we determined HCQ was potentially effective?

By the way how are your friends in Seychelles doing; still getting nailed even after vaccinating everyone with a pulse?
How are your friends in South Africa doing? When will our summer flu season begin?

Last edited:
I'm confused, I thought we determined HCQ was potentially effective?

No.

It has failed in multiple randomized trials.
Linking a small (non-randomized and retrospective) study doesn't change that fact.

Reactions: HawkMD
Yep. That’s what was ‘indicated’.
Pretty sure if they were all unvaccinated that would have been made explicitly clear.
It was "pretty clear" in his post, specifically pointing out the ONLY non-sick IT member WAS vaccinated.

Yep. That’s what was ‘indicated’.
Pretty sure if they were all unvaccinated that would have been made explicitly clear.

Two Manatee County employees died this week as a result of a COVID-19 outbreak at the Manatee County Administration Building, according to Administrator Scott Hopes.

Five employees in the county's Information Technology Services Department died or were hospitalized after contracting the virus. Hopes said the two employees who died were in their 50s. One of them was a supervisor.
Manatee County did not release their names.

Three additional employees were hospitalized with the virus, according to Hopes. He wasn't sure of their ages, but they "appear to be younger."

Hopes, who is an epidemiologist, said he is concerned this form of the virus is a highly contagious variant based on how quickly it spread through the department. Hopes said the five employees who contracted COVID-19 were not vaccinated.

"So far, the individuals working in that department who were vaccinated have not contracted the virus," Hopes said.

1) The Bradenton Herald never said if the five staffers were vaccinated; it insinuated that they weren’t but that’s seemingly how ‘journalistswith an agenda ‘report the news’ these days.

2) If it wasn’t Ivermectin, how did the epidemic in India flame out with only 3.5% of their population vaccinated while simultaneously battling a variant that’s “...50-70% more transmissable and 30-50% more lethal than the original”?

I’ll hang up and listen.
The country that couldn't provide enough oxygen to it's people assuredly had plenty of ivermectin to distribute???

Reactions: dgordo
The country that couldn't provide enough oxygen to it's people assuredly had plenty of ivermectin to distribute???
They had plenty of "new lockdowns"; something shank will continue to deny despite it being posted and linked for him.

Can we get back to the original topic?

What follows is what is spoken of behind closed doors in some areas of medicine. I know many will find my comments insensitive. They are. Which is why I will always endeavor to maintain my anonymity on here. What follows is truth however.

So to start fairly, I’m certain that some will suffer long term effects from COVID. No doubt in my mind.

However, I’m equally certain that the number that will claim they have it or suspect they have it vastly outnumbers those that really do or might.

One thing I know for sure in my years of practice, there are many out there that are invested in being sick. With something. Anything. Why? I dunno. Attention? Psychiatric disease? Both?

So many crap diagnoses these days. And all many of these people need is one Dr to affirm them and give their symptoms a name. I used to think that gave people relief and help. Now I’m not so sure.

“Only my Dr. understands how (you name it syndrome) has affected me.”

Fibromyalgia, Lyme disease, POTS, chronic migraines, Ehlers-Danlos, Chiari Malformation etc etc. All vastly over diagnosed. I mean if you have a diagnosis you tell people of so often you now abbreviate it as “Fibro” you’ve got issues. If I see 2 or more of these above on a diagnosis list on a patient I run for the hills. No chance I fix them today unless they have a broken arm. Now let’s add long COVID to that list. Good grief.

Here’s an idea…How about we try getting on a diet, reading a self help book and getting outside for a walk rather than complaining of his tired and depressed you are.

Rant over….;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT