ADVERTISEMENT

March 25 Practice

This was at a home game, i was sitting in the parents section with a friend whose son was playing, BF came running to bench, beat red face, swearing about how they were f'ing jokes, puss', etc. Hilarious.
What section were you in? The majority of the parents are behind the defense with the offense being on the other end of the sideline.

Reactions: F5n5
I agree with you that when the OP says these players say they were cursed at for 5 years that it implies the Iowa coaches were doing this. The OP maybe meant something else but didn't spell it out. Kirk had a Dline coach who was said to use very salty language and yell at the players. He was basically sent packing.
Tell me you’ve never played high level football without telling me…

Seriously, I am shocked by fans being surprised that coaches cuss out players. I mean I’m sure there was some hyperbole involved here, and there is plenty of “arm around the shoulder” moments, but this isn’t something isolated to Iowa. If you are going to get your feelings hurt over being called the occasional name, there is good reason you’re in the stands and not on the field.

Phil Parker probably swears more than any coach on the team. He seems to get fine results.

The offense still looking like crap is not surprising but unfortunately very worrisome. Or in a sad way could be a good thing because then BF would eventually be gone if he doesn't meet his special "quota" for the season.

I agree with you that when the OP says these players say they were cursed at for 5 years that it implies the Iowa coaches were doing this. The OP maybe meant something else but didn't spell it out. Kirk had a Dline coach who was said to use very salty language and yell at the players. He was basically sent packing.
He was sent packing because that's all that he did, Yell. The line was good despite him then he ran everyone else off.

If you think players don't get MF'd in every program, D3 through D1 (even at Notre Dame, BYU, and other religious institutions), I want to live in your naive paradise.

He was sent packing because that's all that he did, Yell. The line was good despite him then he ran everyone else off.

If you think players don't get MF'd in every program, D3 through D1 (even at Notre Dame, BYU, and other religious institutions), I want to live in your naive paradise.
That was back when those dudes played every single down. They didn't rotate like they do now.

Tell me you’ve never played high level football without telling me…

Seriously, I am shocked by fans being surprised that coaches cuss out players. I mean I’m sure there was some hyperbole involved here, and there is plenty of “arm around the shoulder” moments, but this isn’t something isolated to Iowa. If you are going to get your feelings hurt over being called the occasional name, there is good reason you’re in the stands and not on the field.
Well, Bud Grant passed away not long ago, and Fran Tarkenton said he never yelled.

The games I've been too, have not heard Parker let loose like BF. He swears, but nowhere near close to BF.
Well I can tell you I have seen and heard it, and yes I am close enough. Brian gets a bit more carried away at the refs at times than Phil does. Phil seems to know exactly when to let up in that regard.

Reactions: obfuscating
That was back when those dudes played every single down. They didn't rotate like they do now.
They played every down because the rest were run them off. The ones that stayed knew they had to make the next level.

I can tell you that one can get mf'd without being yelled at. There are meetings and you can be made very small without anyone raising your voice. and over something as small as taking an 8-inch step instead of a 6-inch step. I can be screamed at all day long but those quiet dressing down in meetings killed me. That may be more of what those former players were referring to rather than a screaming mad coach

Reactions: cmhawks99
They played every down because the rest were run them off. The ones that stayed knew they had to make the next level.

I can tell you that one can get mf'd without being yelled at. There are meetings and you can be made very small without anyone raising your voice. and over something as small as taking an 8-inch step instead of a 6-inch step. I can be screamed at all day long but those quiet dressing down in meetings killed me. That may be more of what those former players were referring to rather than a screaming mad coach
Oh yeah. I am sure the film sessions can be brutal. Can you imagine Saban in a film session?

Well I can tell you I have seen and heard it, and yes I am close enough. Brian gets a bit more carried away at the refs at times than Phil does. Phil seems to know exactly when to let up in that regard.
Guessing PP hasn't been reprimanded for spewing curse words throughout the pressbox either...

I've heard PP light some guys, have yet to see KF follow behind him saying its okay guys...etc.

Guessing PP hasn't been reprimanded for spewing curse words throughout the pressbox either...

I've heard PP light some guys, have yet to see KF follow behind him saying its okay guys...etc.
Hard to get reprimanded when he wasn't coaching from the press box. Phil swears and swears a lot. You can think its not the same.

Hard to get reprimanded when he wasn't coaching from the press box. Phil swears and swears a lot. You can think its not the same.
I have said that PP swears, maybe you missed that. When I have heard PP, it wasnt anything like BF's tirades.

I have said that PP swears, maybe you missed that. When I have heard PP, it wasnt anything like BF's tirades.
And I said I have witnessed the exact same. The only difference I see is that Phil knows when to back off the refs. Brian seems to want to continue to yell at them until someone comes and grabs and pulls him out of there.

Um... yeah, there is a LOT of cursing at the players. Most of the players understand the motivation is ultimately to get them to become more disciplined and become better players.

I know of a player (not contributor) who got tired of being called a MFer and CSer and left. But players know anybody from a starter to a walk-on will be coached hard.

‘Guessing PP hasn't been reprimanded for spewing curse words throughout the pressbox either..’

I think the op may have read your entire post. To this I say ‘no sh*t’ no reprimand for doing something in a place he doesn’t go? Go figure.

‘Guessing PP hasn't been reprimanded for spewing curse words throughout the pressbox either..’

I think the op may have read your entire post. To this I say ‘no sh*t’ no reprimand for doing something in a place he doesn’t go? Go figure.
Point being, PP wouldn't have a tirade in a place like that, he's too mature. Go figure.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Point being, PP wouldn't have a tirade in a place like that, he's too mature. Go figure.
Far more people get to experience the PP profanity tour during games. You need to go back aways to support your premise. PP hasn’t been a press box guy for awhile.
My guess? A younger PP let some choice words fly in the press box

Far more people get to experience the PP profanity tour during games. You need to go back aways to support your premise. PP hasn’t been a press box guy for awhile.
My guess? A younger PP let some choice words fly in the press box
Just saying, the games where I sat in the parents section (home) is right behind the bench, BF was nothing but an F bomb, PP was heated, but not the cornucopia of profanity like BF. I am sure there are times i havent heard PP, just my experience over the past 20yrs. Away games, parents are further away.

• Haha

I’m one who honestly doesn’t think it needs to happen and no I’m not a prude. I sometimes swear too much but I think it’s ridiculous… With that said Phil Parker is 60, he should be mature enough to know when and when not to!!

Just saying, the games where I sat in the parents section (home) is right behind the bench, BF was nothing but an F bomb, PP was heated, but not the cornucopia of profanity like BF. I am sure there are times i havent heard PP, just my experience over the past 20yrs. Away games, parents are further away.
So your contention is that while sitting in the parents section you heard both BF and PP addressing their units, while sitting in the same parents section?

I bet they are the only two coaches who swear? Time to kick a couple of guys to the curb...This should be like Bible School!!!

So your contention is that while sitting in the parents section you heard both BF and PP addressing their units, while sitting in the same parents section?

Not the same day, and seats shift at times. But in the same proximity. You can draw your own hypothesis, I know what I saw and heard.

So the players parents seats you sat in switched from one end of the field to the other? Curious on this one.
I do sit in proximity to the offense and I hear Phil when defending that end of the field and defense is on the field and when they are running off. They both swear and this dude is trying to say one does a lot more than the other. I say its a wash.

I do sit in proximity to the offense and I hear Phil when defending that end of the field and defense is on the field and when they are running off. They both swear and this dude is trying to say one does a lot more than the other. I say its a wash.
No doubt they do. I sit behind the defense(and a section of parents) and rarely does BF come down that far and he is calling plays so not really coaching guys up in that mode. Not saying he doesn’t hear it but to have both in the same area swearing up a storm while possible is highly unlikely.

So the players parents seats you sat in switched from one end of the field to the other? Curious on this one.
The seats shifted from mid field when at home to various spots on away games jackhole. Purdue we sat in the upper deck corner of the endzone. Couldn't hear a darn thing the coaches were saying.

I'm saying in the games I have gone too, and sat in the parent section, I hear them both but BF has been far more free with the vulgarity. PP DOES IT AS WELL, in my experience it has not been as much with PP. I have heard him light up the D, no doubt.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT