ADVERTISEMENT

March 25 Practice

mthawkeyes

HR Heisman
Mar 22, 2007
Fourmile Creek
Overall: Not shocking, but the defense is miles ahead of the offense. The defense actually scored more than the offense. Currently only six healthy offensive linemen. Several players that have already graduated were at practice, which speaks to the culture of the program. Not only hanging out, but mentoring/coaching younger players.

Defensive back 7: DeJean plays Cash will Harris at LCB and Hall at RCB. Higgins at Mike and Fisher at Will. Sharar at Leo and some Will (Usually Harris came out and DeJean to LCB.) Higgins is clearly the leader of the LB unit (mentally and spiritually), almost like having another coach in the unit. Talking to the younger players about what they did wrong when they come off the field and how to fix it. He's obviously not Campbell (very few are), but I think he will be more than adequate. Fisher is solid too. Hall got beat on a post (PTSD), but otherwise looked solid for the most part.

I talked to one of the graduated defensive players about the NFL interviews. They try to do stuff to get under your skin to see how you will react, and he would just tell them that stuff doesn't bother him; he's been called a MFer and CSer everyday for the past five years. It's an interesting process.

I'm always impressed by the staff (in my case PP and SW) and how willing they are to talk shop with high school coaches. I love their style of not sugar-coating the criticism of their guys, but also how they will reinforce when a player gets it right.

Overall: Not shocking, but the defense is miles ahead of the offense. The defense actually scored more than the offense. Currently only six healthy offensive linemen. Several players that have already graduated were at practice, which speaks to the culture of the program. Not only hanging out, but mentoring/coaching younger players.

Defensive back 7: DeJean plays Cash will Harris at LCB and Hall at RCB. Higgins at Mike and Fisher at Will. Sharar at Leo and some Will (Usually Harris came out and DeJean to LCB.) Higgins is clearly the leader of the LB unit (mentally and spiritually), almost like having another coach in the unit. Talking to the younger players about what they did wrong when they come off the field and how to fix it. He's obviously not Campbell (very few are), but I think he will be more than adequate. Fisher is solid too. Hall got beat on a post (PTSD), but otherwise looked solid for the most part.

I talked to one of the graduated defensive players about the NFL interviews. They try to do stuff to get under your skin to see how you will react, and he would just tell them that stuff doesn't bother him; he's been called a MFer and CSer everyday for the past five years. It's an interesting process.

I'm always impressed by the staff (in my case PP and SW) and how willing they are to talk shop with high school coaches. I love their style of not sugar-coating the criticism of their guys, but also how they will reinforce when a player gets it right.
Lifelong Hawk fan here. Not familiar with you as a poster. You state that Iowa coaches address players as MFers and CSers. Do you have some corroboration of this? That seems so out of context that KF would allow this type of conduct in developing young men. If this is indeed true, I no longer want to be a Hawkeye football fan. Please respond.

Lifelong Hawk fan here. Not familiar with you as a poster. You state that Iowa coaches address players as MFers and CSers. Do you have some corroboration of this? That seems so out of context that KF would allow this type of conduct in developing young men. If this is indeed true, I no longer want to be a Hawkeye football fan. Please respond.
pearl-clutch-pearl-clutching.gif

Where did he say the coaches were using those words? Reading is fundamental. Comprehension not so much.

Pretty much is the worst case scenario for the offensive side of the football. Not enough healthy players at OL and WR to jell properly heading in to the next season. This is actually a worse situation than last year. They’d better get some dudes in the portal or this will turn into a disaster quickly

I'm guessing you never played football?

Pretty much is the worst case scenario for the offensive side of the football. Not enough healthy players at OL and WR to jell properly heading in to the next season. This is actually a worse situation than last year. They’d better get some dudes in the portal or this will turn into a disaster quickly
A little early for panic.

Lifelong pantywaist here, if it’s true coaches don’t bring milk and cookies after practice I’m cancelling my season tickets

I'm calling BS that you were at a practice. Nice try at stirring the pot.

I agree with you that when the OP says these players say they were cursed at for 5 years that it implies the Iowa coaches were doing this. The OP maybe meant something else but didn't spell it out. Kirk had a Dline coach who was said to use very salty language and yell at the players. He was basically sent packing.

I'm guessing you never played football?

So you are saying that coaches at major college universities can yell those expletives at their players all the time. That is absurd as it does not work positively on young men unless you are a drill sergeant I suppose trying to drill lifesaving skills into war fighters.

A college football player will react more to not getting the reps and not starting by working harder than all this type of negative expletive crap. And vice versa react hugely positive for getting the kudos from coaches.

I agree with you that when the OP says these players say they were cursed at for 5 years that it implies the Iowa coaches were doing this. The OP maybe meant something else but didn't spell it out. Kirk had a Dline coach who was said to use very salty language and yell at the players. He was basically sent packing.
The salty language wasn’t good but during games he would just yell and swear without coaching. There is a decent amount of profanity every game on the sideline. Also opposing fans….. these players hear it in multiple ways

• Haha
Reactions: SheepHumpingHawkeye
The salty language wasn’t good but during games he would just yell and swear without coaching. There is a decent amount of profanity every game on the sideline. Also opposing fans….. these players hear it in multiple ways

Of course using swear words as emotions without using them directed at players is a different thing. Like I said, if I were to smash my finger with a hammer I aint saying "Darn it" unless some young kids are around.

Concept:
Go to an offense (some version of the Spread) that doesn't require OLinemen to sustain blocks as long. Less pressure on an already ineffective, busted up, no depth offensive line.
The Wishbone/Triple Option was invented for that purpose - to compensate for undersized HS offensive lines.

Of course using swear words as emotions without using them directed at players is a different thing. Like I said, if I were to smash my finger with a hammer I aint saying "Darn it" unless some young kids are around.
They are directed at players as well. Coaches can even direct them as fans. It's not unusual.

You never hear BF go on his tirade of f bombs at the OL during a game? Harious, BF in there just laying down curse words, then KF right behind him doing his golf clap, chomping gum, "keeping working guys, little things and we got this". Jeebus BF swears worse than my old drill sgt.

• Haha
You never hear BF go on his tirade of f bombs at the OL during a game? Harious, BF in there just laying down curse words, then KF right behind him doing his golf clap, chomping gum, "keeping working guys, little things and we got this". Jeebus BF swears worse than my old drill sgt.
KF let the oline have at Illini one year with f bombs due to playing like they were still on the bus. The problem is when Brian tries to do it, he does it too often and gets tuned out. But when KF does it, which isn’t often, has meaning.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Heard Dan McCarney screaming at O and D lineman watching a practice once. A lot of, you’re a F’ing P***y, you gonna let him F’ing do that to you, etc. Every coach has their ways of motivating. Some respond and some don’t.

Heard Dan McCarney screaming at O and D lineman watching a practice once. A lot of, you’re a F’ing P***y, you gonna let him F’ing do that to you, etc. Every coach has their ways of motivating. Some respond and some don’t.
This was at a home game, i was sitting in the parents section with a friend whose son was playing, BF came running to bench, beat red face, swearing about how they were f'ing jokes, puss', etc. Hilarious.

Reactions: NorHawk16
So you are saying that coaches at major college universities can yell those expletives at their players all the time. That is absurd as it does not work positively on young men unless you are a drill sergeant I suppose trying to drill lifesaving skills into war fighters.

A college football player will react more to not getting the reps and not starting by working harder than all this type of negative expletive crap. And vice versa react hugely positive for getting the kudos from coaches.
That's too simplistic. There are people that respond to screaming and swearing, especially young men. It drives their adrenaline. There are others that respond to reason and can learn more from a quiet conversation than all the screaming. There are others that will only respond to reduced PT or other consequences. There are still others that respond to peer pressure. A good leader recognizes all the differences between people and deals with each person individually at some level.

And Phil Parker doesn’t?

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT