ADVERTISEMENT

Marinelli joins HWC

From everything I know and have read about Alex, he is an outstanding ambassador of the sport and an equally outstanding human being and role model. Just a great American and I'm damn glad that he wrestled for Iowa!! With that being said, I don't think we need more clones on the staff. As much as I love Alex, and I absolutely get why he wants to stay in Iowa City both for wrestling and because his wife is on the staff, I absolutely hate his style of wrestling, specifically the past year or two where he's excelled in hand-fighting and winning by a TD...or losing by a point when he can't get that elusive TD or gets taken down at the last second. Again, I love the guy but I would love to see some top tier talent from outside the program being brought on board. And I would hope that top tier talent brings with him a different style of wrestling...perhaps a Kem, Lee or ADS style. Just my thoughts.

I’m not going to pretend to have followed freestyle and HWC financials closely enough to make an educated suggestion on specific guys to pursue. But I would look at non-Hawks as a way to diversify, and I’d consider consolidating as necessary to have at least 2 big fish competing hard. Once you get a couple guys in the world spotlight, the ball could be set in motion to bring in more funds, and then you expand. Maybe, maybe not. But I’d hesitate to spread funds among too many people who aren’t going to represent on the world stage.
2 big names like Spencer Lee and Jaydin Eierman? Desanto, Kemerer, Cassioppi, Marinelli and Warner. We still have Lugo training. Not to mention all the women who are going to be competing for world level teams. New Facility, stock piling the HWC, #1 recruiting class of 2023, #1 Womens wrestling program, and we've been the best team in the country 2 of the last 3 years.

You worry about you and we'll worry about us. GO HAWKS!!!

I’m not going to pretend to have followed freestyle and HWC financials closely enough to make an educated suggestion on specific guys to pursue. But I would look at non-Hawks as a way to diversify, and I’d consider consolidating as necessary to have at least 2 big fish competing hard. Once you get a couple guys in the world spotlight, the ball could be set in motion to bring in more funds, and then you expand. Maybe, maybe not. But I’d hesitate to spread funds among too many people who aren’t going to represent on the world stage.

A brief summary of your posts in this thread: "I'm clueless and talking out of my ass."

A brief summary of your posts in this thread: "I'm clueless and talking out of my ass."
Not really. I don’t have access to the financials or know what the going rate is for a top-level guy, so there is no way I could honestly answer the question put to me.

Intuition and philosophy can count for something, though, right? What is so outlandish about the specific point I made (repeatedly). Of all the thin-skinned posters here, I wouldn’t have expected you to be put-out by my post. You seem like a pretty objective person.

Did not say that. If HWC needs more coaches on the payroll, so be it. Personally, I think the financial priority should be to bring in some athletes that are going to make World and Olympic Teams (unless you want Spencer to shoulder that load himself).

The virtual absence of HWC representation the past year did not do the program any favors. Paying more former Hawkeyes to add to the coaching staff seems like an odd priority.

I know websites aren’t always up to date, but a glance at the HWC “Team” and “Roster” sure made me wonder why adding Marinelli as a paid coach would be the best use of precious funds.
Right… So, maybe bring in Turk?

• Haha
Reactions: slushhead
You guys act like the best wrestlers always make the best coaches, exactly why couldn’t Alex be a more successful coach then a guy like Varner? I’m not making a prediction here just trying to understand how a statement so matter a fact could be made. Alex has a lot of intangibles that could make him a very successful coach for the Hawkeyes Or another program.

Reactions: Gobblin
You guys act like the best wrestlers always make the best coaches, exactly why couldn’t Alex be a more successful coach then a guy like Varner? I’m not making a prediction here just trying to understand how a statement so matter a fact could be made. Alex has a lot of intangibles that could make him a very successful coach for the Hawkeyes Or another program.
Yeah.I’d like to see him coach. And I’d also like them to bring in guys who wrestle other styles than our guys typically see in the room.

Not really. I don’t have access to the financials or know what the going rate is for a top-level guy, so there is no way I could honestly answer the question put to me.

Intuition and philosophy can count for something, though, right? What is so outlandish about the specific point I made (repeatedly). Of all the thin-skinned posters here, I wouldn’t have expected you to be put-out by my post. You seem like a pretty objective person.

Lol yes that’s the point. You don’t know the agreement, the scope, the plan, the $$$, nothing. But you do know he shouldn’t get a dime. Total SMH.

This is an excellent point, and no one outside the Hawkeye hierarchy, has the essential intel to truly assess the merits of the circumstance.

That being said, a world known name would have the gravitas that assists in luring top talent into the environment; Alex, though loved and rightfully admired by the Hawkeye faithful, does not. Spencer might someday be that person, if health allows him to fully realize his potential; but not quite yet. Kyle Dake would have those qualities, if sufficient resources could be mustered to bring him there.

From everything I know and have read about Alex, he is an outstanding ambassador of the sport and an equally outstanding human being and role model. Just a great American and I'm damn glad that he wrestled for Iowa!! With that being said, I don't think we need more clones on the staff. As much as I love Alex, and I absolutely get why he wants to stay in Iowa City both for wrestling and because his wife is on the staff, I absolutely hate his style of wrestling, specifically the past year or two where he's excelled in hand-fighting and winning by a TD...or losing by a point when he can't get that elusive TD or gets taken down at the last second. Again, I love the guy but I would love to see some top tier talent from outside the program being brought on board. And I would hope that top tier talent brings with him a different style of wrestling...perhaps a Kem, Lee or ADS style. Just my thoughts.
You can't assume Bull was a hundred percent the last couple years.

Remember Alex two years ago? He dominated everybody and put an exclamation point on nearly every match. He was right there with Spencer, Austin, and healthy Kem as most fun to watch.

That Bull didn't just disappear, and the mentality he brings to the room is one of scoring points and domination, even if he struggled to do that the last couple seasons for one reason or another.

Reactions: NCHawk5
You can't assume Bull was a hundred percent the last couple years.

Remember Alex two years ago? He dominated everybody and put an exclamation point on nearly every match. He was right there with Spencer, Austin, and healthy Kem as most fun to watch.

That Bull didn't just disappear, and the mentality he brings to the room is one of scoring points and domination, even if he struggled to do that the last couple seasons for one reason or another.
Do you think getting older had anything to do with it? I realize he’s not “old” relative to me, but being married certainly changes your life.

Do you think getting older had anything to do with it? I realize he’s not “old” relative to me, but being married certainly changes your life.
The married thing definitely COULD change things a bit. Maybe it dulled the hunger just enough to make a difference.

I'm of the belief that he brought his walking around weight lower after the first couple years so that the 2nd and 3rd days of tourneys wouldn't be so brutal, but being lighter had a negative effect on his extreme horsepower which was such a vital part of his style. Once he lost his horsepower, he just couldn't do the things he usually did.

I mean look at his trip as people stand up, two years ago he would send people flying, then the last couple years it almost never worked. Same with the quarter Nelson thing he always did. A couple years ago he would flip people over with it all the time, and last year he didn't roll a single guy with it. That's not a scouting thing, that's a loss of horsepower.

This is an excellent point, and no one outside the Hawkeye hierarchy, has the essential intel to truly assess the merits of the circumstance.

That being said, a world known name would have the gravitas that assists in luring top talent into the environment; Alex, though loved and rightfully admired by the Hawkeye faithful, does not. Spencer might someday be that person, if health allows him to fully realize his potential; but not quite yet. Kyle Dake would have those qualities, if sufficient resources could be mustered to bring him there.
P.S.
10 or so years ago I thought Metcalf was the guy to champion the Hawkeyes to sustained dominance. The loss to Caldwell removed the possibility of a three-peat, and in some way may have impacted that prospectus. Nevertheless, he was a very large success figure, and could have been better marketed/promoted. Not being a close follower of the Hawkeye undercurrent, I question why is it, that such a well credentialed alum as Bret, is not more fully embraced and uplifted as a beacon for the Hawkeyes instead of an in-state rival.

We’re falling behind again. No recruit cares that the bull was dominant in a year that ended without yet another championship for him. Cruel? Yes. True? Also, yes. We need more $ and bigger names. Hey young man come train and learn with zero time champ who also has zero gold medals the bull! Doesn’t sound as appealing as Olympic and world gold medalist Kyle Snyder or Olympic and world gold medalist Taylor or world gold Gilman or Olympic gold Varner. And that’s without mentioning Carl. We have tnt that’s it. and they’ve said their first and main focus is the team. Slush is right in that if the bull is getting paid even somewhat fairly, the money is being mismanaged like it seemingly has been for a long time. Whatever money we do have should be reserved for bonafide studs whenever they become available and nothing else. Spencer is coming, yianni is coming, o’toole is coming, dake is out there, jb is out there Cox is out there. And before someone says (again) that we are never getting any of those guys except Spencer….look at where Snyder is now. Or JB or J’den Cox. They’re all somewhere other than where they went to college. Why cant we get a gold medalist to help bring in the young studs? Nope, we will take Dan Dennis and the bull. No offense to those guys because I admire their heart and skill but they’re not as desirable to young guys as the others mentioned. I don’t have the answers to get this done but this is a message board where we post our opinions. It feels like we’re stuck in the mud and it’s frustrating watching psu just stockpile.

I’m more partial to Mike Evans, but that could work, too. 😉
e0287fd1-9e99-4552-b6ef-c0d0ed138b02_text.gif

Reactions: pawrestlersintn
We’re falling behind again. No recruit cares that the bull was dominant in a year that ended without yet another championship for him. Cruel? Yes. True? Also, yes. We need more $ and bigger names. Hey young man come train and learn with zero time champ who also has zero gold medals the bull! Doesn’t sound as appealing as Olympic and world gold medalist Kyle Snyder or Olympic and world gold medalist Taylor or world gold Gilman or Olympic gold Varner. And that’s without mentioning Carl. We have tnt that’s it. and they’ve said their first and main focus is the team. Slush is right in that if the bull is getting paid even somewhat fairly, the money is being mismanaged like it seemingly has been for a long time. Whatever money we do have should be reserved for bonafide studs whenever they become available and nothing else. Spencer is coming, yianni is coming, o’toole is coming, dake is out there, jb is out there Cox is out there. And before someone says (again) that we are never getting any of those guys except Spencer….look at where Snyder is now. Or JB or J’den Cox. They’re all somewhere other than where they went to college. Why cant we get a gold medalist to help bring in the young studs? Nope, we will take Dan Dennis and the bull. No offense to those guys because I admire their heart and skill but they’re not as desirable to young guys as the others mentioned. I don’t have the answers to get this done but this is a message board where we post our opinions. It feels like we’re stuck in the mud and it’s frustrating watching psu just stockpile.

None of these points has anything to do with this Marinelli thing.

None of these points has anything to do with this Marinelli thing.
I guess that depends on how much he’s receiving. His funds directly relate to all of those things. I think they could be better spent depending on the percentage of the budget used. It’s like a full scholly vs a partial. If it’s partial, fine. If it’s not, I don’t like it. That’s all.

As previously posted in this thread, Iowa has kept around a lot of guys with HWC. Over the recent years, they have kept on Jeremiah Moody, Brandon Sorenson, Paul Glynn, Nathan Burak, Sam Stoll, etc.

Reactions: Grip220
Who is saying that Alex is one of the next Iowa coaches, some are making this out to be more than it is. Spencer will be on the Hawkeye Staff when he is done, I don’t see Alex as one of our paid coaches. Perhaps a differ position is in his future that keeps him and Moriah within the program.
And I am still part of the extremely large group of Iowa fans the love our program in its entirety,but also know improvements and progress is needed to stay at the top!

P.S.
10 or so years ago I thought Metcalf was the guy to champion the Hawkeyes to sustained dominance. The loss to Caldwell removed the possibility of a three-peat, and in some way may have impacted that prospectus. Nevertheless, he was a very large success figure, and could have been better marketed/promoted. Not being a close follower of the Hawkeye undercurrent, I question why is it, that such a well credentialed alum as Bret, is not more fully embraced and uplifted as a beacon for the Hawkeyes instead of an in-state rival.
Because Metcalf was too busy hunting and starting a family.

…..And I am still part of the extremely large group of Iowa fans the love our program in its entirety,but also know improvements and progress is needed to stay at the top!
So, to recap…. Everything is perfect in Hawkland. And yet, we must strive to be more better if we want to remain at the top, where we currently reside?

You missed your calling, Grip…..

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
3 things to consider for the club:
1. AM could be a very good freestyler...Elite takedown defense is probably the common denominator in my mind for successful freestylers. He has that
2. AM would be a great sparring partner for the college guys. Strong, puts on a tough ridge, really good on his feet
3. AM maybe hasn't shown a huge diversity of technique, which in my mind is a good idea for coaches. Sometimes you need to teach a wrestler several different ways to overcome an opponent's strengths.

I’ve donated a couple (maybe several) times. Small $$ on lost bets and such. Doesn’t have any bearing on whether I can post an opinion here, though.

If you STFU a little more often, this place would benefit. Another opinion. Oopsie.
Paying a lost bet is not "donating" MORAN!

"I’m not going to pretend to have followed freestyle and HWC financials closely enough to make an educated suggestion"-- I am just going to criticize!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. You are an idiot. You just don't know it.

Opinions are like Aholes-- every body has one... just more crap comes out of yours than other's. Do you often opine about things you know nothing about?

You are a parasite. Your contribute nothing. Go find another host.

Last edited:

"I’m not going to pretend to have followed freestyle and HWC financials closely enough to make an educated suggestion"-- I am just going to criticize!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. You are an idiot. You just don't know it.

Opinions are like Aholes-- every body has one... just more crap comes out of yours than other's. Do you often opine about things you know nothing about?

Yeah, we wouldnt want to ruin the echo chamber...

Come on, even Tom acknowledges that the expectation is to win every year. When we dont win, dont be surprised when people think we need changes.

Reactions: PAHURDLER

For the time it took, I’m underwhelmed with your response. Maybe ask one of your Associates for help with the next one?

Oh, and not all my donations were on bets. Sponsored Moriah during one of the plunges. Does that qualify me for opinion-posting privileges?

For the time it took, I’m underwhelmed with your response. Maybe ask one of your Associates for help with the next one?

Oh, and not all my donations were on bets. Sponsored Moriah during one of the plunges. Does that qualify me for opinion-posting privileges?
You tuck it, don’t you?

• Haha
Reactions: armbartilt
ADVERTISEMENT