ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops to A&M

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
The fired 4-loss Fisher to hire 4-loss Stoops?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

The search for the next Texas A&M football coach is officially coming to an end in the near future. The Aggies are expected to soon finalize their hiring of Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops, sources confirmed to GigEm247's Jeff Tarpley. TexAgs first reported the news Saturday night.

After firing former head coach Jimbo Fisher on Nov. 12, A&M athletics director Ross Bjork immediately began looking for his replacement. With Bjork leading the effort, the Aggies held their first national search for a head football coach in several decades.

Mike Elko (Duke), Jeff Traylor (UTSA) and Jedd Fisch (Arizona) were among candidates that A&M considered. But Bjork ultimately picked Stoops, the Youngstown, Ohio product who is the younger brother of former legendary Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops.

Stoops, 56, landed his first head coach job at Kentucky in 2013. Across 11 seasons with the Wildcats, Stoops has compiled a 73-64 record and is the all-time winningest head coach in program history. They improved to 7-5 this season after defeating No. 10 Louisville, 38-31, on the road Saturday.

Before hiring Stoops, Kentucky had only one 10-win season since 1951. Under Stoops, the Wildcats posted 10-win seasons in 2018 (10-3) and 2021 (10-3). Stoops claimed SEC Coach of the Year honors in 2018. Kentucky also finished with seven-plus victories in seven of its last eight seasons and won four consecutive bowl games at one point.

Prior to joining the Wildcats, Stoops served as the defensive coordinator at Florida State (2010-12). He started as a graduate assistant at Iowa (1990-91) before being in various assistant coach roles at South Florida (1996), Wyoming (1997-99), Houston (2000), Miami (2001-03), Arizona (2004-09) and FSU. Stoops also spent time as the athletics director and defensive backs coach at Nordonia High in Macedonia, Ky. (1992-95).

As a player, Stoops was a defensive back for the University of Iowa (1986-89) under College Football Hall of Fame coach Hayden Fry. He helped the Hawyekes participate in four straight bowl games before landing a graduate assistant role.

Basketball will always be #1 at UK, and he hit the ceiling there. Also, Louisville is on the rise, even though he beat them this year, and the comparisons to them are probably annoying.

A&M wants a savior, and this is his shot. A&M has mega-resources.

I hope TAMU fans get what they deserve (a shit sandwich).
Yeah, that fanbase can go FTS.

If there’s justice in the CFB world, all their top choices tell them to pound sand and they’re left with someone that drags them down even further.

Also, it disgusts me that MSU ended up with Jonathan Smith. Effing gross.

Reactions: seminoleed
He was my potential KF replacement. Ok, KF 10 more years with an actual OC!

Mark Stoops at Iowa would be a winner. He built FSU’s championship winning defense a decade ago but left for Kentucky the year we won the title.

He’s much better off not going to AggieCult. Stay at Kentucky and wait for KF to retire.

Reactions: torbee
I like Mark Stoops and think he’ll do well there. He did a great job at Kentucky with limited resources. I wouldn’t have been mad if he came here after Jimbo or Willie.

Yeah, that fanbase can go FTS.

If there’s justice in the CFB world, all their top choices tell them to pound sand and they’re left with someone that drags them down even further.

Also, it disgusts me that MSU ended up with Jonathan Smith. Effing gross.
Ya I'm not too happy about that either. Not even coaching the bowl game for OSU. Wonder how big of contract he got.

Dabo certainly has had a rough year at Clemson.

Hiring Sweeney at A&M wouldn't surprise me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT