ADVERTISEMENT

Matthew Colburn

He is now. Just wondering if the staff took a shot at him. Should have been an easy sell with plenty of early PT available at Iowa.

Maybe its because he is from a state that Iowa doesn't recruit and the fact he was committed to L'ville for like 8 months prior to signing day?

It's not a troll attempt. Pretty sure you don't need to be in contact with the kid for months. You make a phone call and reach out to him. He needs a school and you need a RB. Lordy, it's not that difficult.

"A state Iowa does not recruit" I would hope Iowa recruits the whole country nowadays.

I didn't see where Clemson or South Carolina had offered.
Any idea why neither of those schools offered a kid from South Carolina?

Originally posted by IowaIrish1:
It's not a troll attempt. Pretty sure you don't need to be in contact with the kid for months. You make a phone call and reach out to him. He needs a school and you need a RB. Lordy, it's not that difficult.

"A state Iowa does not recruit" I would hope Iowa recruits the whole country nowadays.
Recruiting is all about relationships and no one on Iowa's staff has connections in the state of South Carolina. I would rather KF and staff stick to places such as Texas, Ohio, Penn, DC area or Iowa border states rather than go on a wild goose chase a week before signing day after a kid that wasn't good enough to get offers from his in state schools and wasn't good enough to keep his scholly at L'ville. Just like you didn't see power 5 schools knocking down Benvinetti's (sp?) door when we parted ways with him.

The kid from Alabama was someone Iowa had been in contact with before... Some kids are looking for a certain major and Iowa may not be as well known for certain things as other schools... You guys act like college is only about the sport.

Didn't they take a RB from Alabama with even less offers at the last minute? If you are hurting for RB's and the best one left on the board is available, not reaching out to him is plain ignorant. 

Link: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1837862/highlights/184204387/v2[/URL]

How sure are you that he was best available?? How do you know that Iowa didn't reach out with phone call and he told them "no thanks".

Sorry but I think this post is just another reach for Rearson to complain

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hawks DID contact him

Within minutes after reading about this young man's situation, I wrote his high school coach, and he wrote me back immediately. As shown in the transcript below, Iowa had ALREADY contacted the young man that very day.

It is reasonable for us to question football decisions and choices. But as the son of a former mid-major head coach, I shake my head in disbelief when the motivations or efforts of coaches are questioned. They, and their families bleed and suffer for every visible success; and suffer deeply and privately for every misfire and failure; and they do not deserve our disrespect.
There are things we just don't know.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM, I wrote:

Tom Knotts (tknotts@lexrich5.org)

Athletic Director and Head Football Coach

Hey Coach-

We just got nicked by Jim Harbaugh today [/I]and lost the single running back in our current class, a 4 star guy on three sites; you might have your guy give Kirk Ferentz a call at the University of Iowa. We're looking for our next Shonn Greene, and we have the horses up front to make it happen, including this year's Outland Trophy winner (our third). The timing couldn't be better.

I was a head high school football coach once upon a time, and my father was head coach at ******. I understand your feelings of disloyalty and pain.

Bring him to Iowa city.

Best,

Tom Knotts wrote back:

"We did get a call from them today and Matt may be interested............."[/QUOTE]

Re: Hawks DID contact him

Originally posted by ukrainehawk:

Within minutes after reading about this young man's situation, I wrote his high school coach, and he wrote me back immediately. As shown in the transcript below, Iowa had ALREADY contacted the young man that very day.

It is reasonable for us to question football decisions and choices. But as the son of a former mid-major head coach, I shake my head in disbelief when the motivations or efforts of coaches are questioned. They, and their families bleed and suffer for every visible success; and suffer deeply and privately for every misfire and failure; and they do not deserve our disrespect.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM, I wrote:

Tom Knotts (tknotts@lexrich5.org)

Athletic Director and Head Football Coach

Hey Coach-

We just got nicked by Jim Harbaugh today [/I]and lost the single running back in our current class, a 4 star guy on three sites; you might have your guy give Kirk Ferentz a call at the University of Iowa. We're looking for our next Shonn Greene, and we have the horses up front to make it happen, including this year's Outland Trophy winner (our third). The timing couldn't be better.

I was a head high school football coach once upon a time, and my father was head coach at ******. I understand your feelings of disloyalty and pain.

Bring him to Iowa city.

Best,

Tom Knotts wrote back:

"We did get a call from them today and Matt may be interested............."

[/QUOTE]

That's some fine work right there. Well done.

this kid was informed he was wanted as Grey shirt 2 days before the Signing DAY and Graham the RB out of Alabama was seen in Carver watching the Hawks BB team play Wisconsin on his OV 5 days before kids could sign their LOI's a couple of days before Higdon decommitted,

I think the coaches were well prepared to lose Higdon, also the IA coaches had been recruiting Graham since last spring. TOS has a picture of him watching the BB game and all the info reguarding Graham, on why there was a lack of offers, and it also lists the schools that came calling right after it was announced he had gotten his qualifying test Scores,

ND, Kentucky, Missippippi State, Duke and Vanderbilt all called to see if he was still available, the kid carries a 3.0 gpa and is going to study nursing.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

this kid was informed he was wanted as Grey shirt 2 days before the Signing DAY and Graham the RB out of Alabama was seen in Carver watching the Hawks BB team play Wisconsin on his OV 5 days before kids could sign their LOI's a couple of days before Higdon decommitted,

I think the coaches were well prepared to lose Higdon, also the IA coaches had been recruiting Graham since last spring. TOS has a picture of him watching the BB game and all the info reguarding Graham, on why there was a lack of offers, and it also lists the schools that came calling right after it was announced he had gotten his qualifying test Scores,

ND, Kentucky, Missippippi State, Duke and Vanderbilt all called to see if he was still available, the kid carries a 3.0 gpa and is going to study nursing.
Awesome, how many decided to offer this kid during those calls?

Re: Hawks DID contact him

ukrainehawk posted on 2/12/2015...

Thanks for showing that these so called fans rarely know what they are talking about. As I have said, they have nary a clue what it takes to run big time program or what the coaches are actually doing.
But you have to understand that Sandow, That's Football and the rest of the BSCI crowd suffer way more than any coach or player ever could, that they are purposely making their lives miserable with their ineptitiude, and by goerge, they are going to let us know about it, lol. Not the coaches or players themselves, mind you, that would take effort and courage. Thanks for making the effort>>>

Originally posted by maxstabs13:
The kid from Alabama was someone Iowa had been in contact with before... Some kids are looking for a certain major and Iowa may not be as well known for certain things as other schools... You guys act like college is only about the sport.
Exactly, people need to understand this better! For example, in basketball, after looking around DeAndre Kane decided to finish his career at ISU because they offered the graduate program he was looking for and other schools, including his current one, did not.

I think Graham looks he has better potential as a Hawkeye back. Colburn looks good too but most of his highlight runs go to the outside and he ends up running up the sideline. Graham seems like he plants and cuts up the field better when he sees the opportunity. Sometimes those sideline guys struggle in college. Garmon is a fair example. The guy I was surprised that we didn't show more interest in was Ke'aun Kinner. His tape looks great and it seemed like he wanted to be a Hawk too. He must have had some issues below the surface. Anyone know what the situation was with Kinner?

HawkinK.C.1 posted on 2/12/2015...

I think Graham looks he has better potential as a Hawkeye back. Colburn looks good too but most of his highlight runs go to the outside and he ends up running up the sideline. Graham seems like he plants and cuts up the field better when he sees the opportunity. Sometimes those sideline guys struggle in college. Garmon is a fair example. The guy I was surprised that we didn't show more interest in was Ke'aun Kinner. His tape looks great and it seemed like he wanted to be a Hawk too. He must have had some issues below the surface. Anyone know what the situation was with Kinner?

It says on the 247 site that he (Kinner) turned 'us' down. There is an article on their subscriber site that says it explains why he turned us down. I don't remember reading anything about it here. Someone on this site (Quintana) said we dropped our offer to him, but from what the other site says, that does not sound accurate.
This post was edited on 2/12 12:29 PM by MattFoleyHawk

Didn't they take a RB from Alabama with even less offers at the last minute? If you are hurting for RB's and the best one left on the board is available, not reaching out to him is plain ignorant.
kid from Alabama was a last minute offer, not a last minute contact. They've been talking to him since at least December. This kid didn't become "available" until this month.

IowaIrish1, you say your not trolling. That's fine. But don't be like the BSCI crowd and insult coaches when you don't have any idea what's going on. They did reach out to him so the only thing that is 'plain ignorant' is your comment. "ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general".....
Good topic to bring up though. I hope you bring up more without jumping to conclusions and making remarks that could be derimental.

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to troll anyone here. Was just wondering if anyone knew if the staff reached out to him.

Shouldn't have used the ignorant word, that really was just in response to a poster stating that Iowa doesn't recruit South Carolina. Maybe that's true, but in this day and age with the ease of getting video on all recruits I'd hope Iowa is open to recruiting the entire country. Especially in a case like this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT