ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Alabama State notes ...

DanHawkPella

HB Legend
Jul 24, 2001
Won't comment on each player as that makes it a bit tedious:
  • Like having Connor run the middle of a zone offense. Had a few turnovers, but he's perfect there
  • Touissant did a good job at reversing the ball against the defense, and then every now and then faking the reversal pass and shooting the 3. Went 2 for 3 on those plays.
  • Bohannon is playing good defense (for him) this season imo, but players are still able to just step back a step and shoot over him due to his lack of height. Happened 2 or 3 times tonight.
  • Alabama State has some guys who can score - was impressed with some of their shots, just not a good team overall
  • I'm a big fan of Rebraca just watching what he does on the court. He plays more like 6'8" but I think he is under appreciated for how he works on defense and handles screens, etc. Hit a 3 tonight and will score inside more when we need him to, right now everyone else is doing the scoring. He's not a shotblocker, which hurts, but watching film on him I like how he plays on both ends.
  • Kris showed why he will also be a difference maker this season. Maybe not the dribble drive guy that Keegan is, but perhaps a better 3 point shooter and a stat filler in other categories like Keegan.
  • Sandfort is even better than many on the board think. Why? He has shown me 3 or 4 different shots inside the arc that Joe Wieskamp never did. He hit a one handed baseline floater today, he's done a traditional mid range jumper, he has a turn around fadeaway as well. Add this to a silky smooth high arcing 3 ball that he can shoot out to Bohannon range that is hard to block and he's a top shelf level scorer at the college level. His high IQ defense is surprising as well, I think he only limitation is that you may not want him on the floor with other average athletes, but this guy is way more advanced in more categories than I thought, even though his HS film showed the same types of shots. When watching HS film I've started to look for how many different shots a player can do, because in college you need a wider selection to be successful.
  • I do like what I see from Mulvey and Ogundele actually, it's just that they are a year away from doing it at the level they need to. They may not be stars at Iowa, but they can make a difference similar to Kriener as an example.
  • We were worried about 3 point shooting in the pre-season, but with Sandfort and Kris Murray playing good minutes and if Joe T can be servicable we should be pretty good out there.
Good game overall. I think Alabama State shot a good percentage (50% at half) so that's the main downside of the game, but they did hit some difficult shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News